Would you use your own classy gents folder at a fancy restaurant?

Yep, all the time. It's why I generally carry larger knives. I have no issues cutting a steak on a plate, I simply take care when slicing into the meat. I've never had an issue, but then, I keep my knives sharp enough that I don't need to make more than one pass through any meat I'm eating. I don't see the big deal, personally. I've never had an issue using my own knife, and frankly, I've been to plenty of very high-end classy places that gave me a dull steak saw for a knife.

Specifically for the intention to look a bit unique & posh, at least in your own mind.

This is actually a thing, slicey folders with fancy schmancy scales, no pocket clip...etc. use them to eat your meal with just because you can.

Sounds like a neat idea.
I do, but not to be pretentious like you suggest.

Gotta laugh, guys here spend their life & cash on knives....too scared to use them in case they might dull the edge cutting a steak on a porcelain plate.

That's sad as it is funny - first world problems for sure.
You're painting a large group with a broad brush, my man. Don't.

Yep, all the time. It's why I generally carry larger knives. I have no issues cutting a steak on a plate, I simply take care when slicing into the meat. I've never had an issue, but then, I keep my knives sharp enough that I don't need to make more than one pass through any meat I'm eating. I don't see the big deal, personally. I've never had an issue using my own knife, and frankly, I've been to plenty of very high-end classy places that gave me a dull steak saw for a knife.
They can probably see your pocket clip and know you're gonna be OK with the Tier 3 cutlery.

I just use my fingers in fancy places Blues Brothers style.

The only culinary use my pocket knives have seen were trimming drinking straws down for my daughter when she was little.
I have done that often even for myself when the place just has 1 massive size straws that are ideal for the 'Merica sized cups but over sized for the rest of their cups.

Food served on wood and customers are required to supply their own knife.
Sounds like the road house I ate at somewhere in Texas once. :)

(I been to so many places in Texas when driving expedited box truck, I don't remember exactly where or which region in Texas it was.)

I live in Yuma Az and there isn't such a thing as a fancy restaurant here. They are all very pedestrian eating places. Some are good, some aren't. Yesterday I ate breakfast in a diner, steak and egg breakfast. I got the typical oversized cheap ass serrated knife that every restaurant in Yuma hands out that tears rather than cuts, so I just got my SAK huntsman out and used it just like I do in every other restaurant I've eaten in in the last goodly number of years here. I've never even had anyone look my way while using my own knife.

I could use my BRKT Mini Kephart at a restaurant and I don't think anyone would even notice. It's that kind of knife.

Specifically for the intention to look a bit unique & posh, at least in your own mind.

This is actually a thing, slicey folders with fancy schmancy scales, no pocket clip...etc. use them to eat your meal with just because you can.

Sounds like a neat idea.

Sounds like you've been reading the AG Russell catalog BS :)

If you want to be considered uncouth go ahead, but don't expect people to appreciate your knife or your table manners. Kind of gross when you wipe the grease, gravy and mashed potatoes off on your napkin. Be careful you don't dirty your pants, because you'll need that napkin when dessert comes.

Sounds like you've been reading the AG Russell catalog BS :)

If you want to be considered uncouth go ahead, but don't expect people to appreciate your knife or your table manners. Kind of gross when you wipe the grease, gravy and mashed potatoes off on your napkin. Be careful you don't dirty your pants, because you'll need that napkin when dessert comes.
So those of us that use our own knives at restaurants are considered uncouth?

:rolleyes:

Apparently cleaning under your fingernails with the tip of your Bowie while at a restaurant table is considered uncouth in some circles.

I guess that what an elegant little SAK is for.

At the risk of upset from some of you, I admit that carry and use of a Bowie is uncouth in my eyes.

Does not mean you are uncouth.
Just the use of a Bowie knife in general.

Not trying to start a riot or lose friends. I just don’t care for the current designs of Bowie knives on the market.

Back