you know you're a knife guy when...

When you have as many options on which knife to carry, as your wife does on which shoes to where..

when anything needs to be cut, separated, scraped, poked, or hit and you do not have a knife with you for that very moment for any reason. your pupils dialate as you see the person ripping something with their hands.. and all you think is "if ONLY i had my knife.."

we look for any simple task to use a blade.

You don't even carry in your own house/apartment? I mean, there's following the law, and there's following the law. And from my recollection of the rules, it's still illegal to have it in your room on campus. Not much difference between having it in your room vs your pocket, when it's still outlawed on campus entirely...

I don't get it... is this a law? Here campuses only have policies, there aren't any specific laws applying to students.

When you can't hear your wife/GF in the next room talking to you, but you can hear a UPS truck hauling your latest score from 3 blocks away.

When (before I can say anything) the frequent borrower of my knife says to a new borrower of my knife: "Only use his knife to cut, do not pry or turn screws"... Makes me proud. In a bittersweet sort of way.

When you have to open a zip lock bag and rather than simply separate the plastic with your fingers, get your knife out and cut the whole darn top off.

When every abandoned piece of paper is an entirely rational excuse for an impromptu confetti party.

When 2 guys are talking about blade steel and one of them says "hold on let me get my alchemist" and he calls you

I don't get it... is this a law? Here campuses only have policies, there aren't any specific laws applying to students.

Yeah, some states have laws about carry or even possession on school grounds. And those policies you reference are as good as laws, if you actually care about staying in school. Some people go pretty overboard about a little knife.

I suppose that's more than enough of a tangent though...

You're a knife guy when the non-knife people in your life don't even ask if someone has a knife when they need to cut something; they just look pleadingly at you.

Edge Pro - $200 -$400

WEPS - $300 - $400

Paper Wheels - $60 - $90

Real sharpening experience - Priceless... :D

I'm with ericvar101, what'd you buy that was almost a grand?...

Check Wicked Edge again. The new Pro Pack 2 starts at $699. upgrade the base to granite, add a pair of Kangaroo Strops and a pair of curved ceramic stones for recurves, some additional diamond paste, a ceramic cleaning thing add shipping and bingo $850. It's a lot easier than it looks. Others have actually added more stuff and paid more.

I guess that officially makes me a knife guy.:D

Last edited:
When your 5 year old granddaughter brings packets of food to you to open because in her words "you're the one with the knife".

When you decide that you are going to buy a particular knife that costs a bit more than you wanted to spend and you go to every YouTube, knife forum, website review you can find and google the model vs every other knife you can think of to compare it and justify the purchase. And you revisit all those sites over and over and over and over and over and over again.

When you do a google search for your particular knife of interest and drill down past the 1st page of the google search results. Way past.

When you have a dream about a knife that doesn't exist but you wish it did. And when you wake up you search the internet for one close to it and then ask here on Bladeforums if anyone can recommend where to find one.

When you have dozens of knives, but just by listening to someone else flick one of them open at random, you know exactly which one it is just from the sound.

Back