Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

A fresh Otter from Germany. Thanks Dad!
zsoLFiq.jpg

Smashing work !!! Love the look of it...wow!!
Thank you. I have been working with the edge. It came sharp, but not as sharp as I like. The zero grind is a bit problematic. I attached a sheet of 2500 grit wet sandpaper on a leather strop glued on plywood so I have an even surface. It is slow with a stropping motion but I'm getting a shaving edge. I want an edge that I can maintain stropping on leather. Now to make a sheath.

This 2014 Case SS 6375 As Ground Navy Blue Composite Stockman from Case's Workman Series came in from Mike at Collector Knives a month ago. All blades have a nice swedge, and there is virtually no underblading. The bolsters and end caps are pinched and the joints are mostly sunken. There are no chips, cracks, gaps, drips, runs, or errors on this knife. The fit and finish is superb.

1iNSKtp.jpg

mHHbX9T.jpg

APlnypf.jpg

When I got it, there was one snag. The Picture below is of the pile side of the knife. Notice that the apex of the spey blade lies over the nail nick of the sheepsfoot blade. Because this is an "as Ground" knife, all the edges are crisp/sharp - not polished. Now most times when you open a blade you push the blade a bit sideways - maybe just a tad but push it sideways none the less. Well when I went to open the spey blade the apex of the blade would actually engage the nail nick of the sheepsfoot blade and lift it too. The solution was to send the knife to Case for repair and they ground just a smidgen of the material off the mark side apex of the spey blade. Now the spey blade opens smoothly and perfectly with no engagement of the sheeps foot blade at all. That snag was why I waited a month to present the knife here after receiving it from Mike.

ux8wcYV.jpg

I normally don't mention price very often but I gotta say that for 38-bucks and change, this knife is as good as it gets. It's certainly on a par with GEC and even pre-2006 Queens and Schatt & Morgan knives. It just a pleasure to handle and use.

The earliest runs of the 127 UH and the 227 UH had covers that were MUCH thicker, sorta like we think of when we hear 'fat stag.' They changed this fairly quickly. This example was #00456, maybe the first day or two?

Interesting to me Cal that the S-W is in stainless, from even that early on. Beautiful knife!

Gents, if you would be so kind, please elucidate.
What year are we talking about and why is it surprising to see this Uncle Henry in Stainless. I had thought that the Uncle Henry line was primarily in stainless. And I received a stainless Schrade Stockman for my birthday in 1964 (my first knife that was not a hand-me-down, so I remember the year). So I know Schrade used stainless from a very early time.

Meanwhile, back on track, my Father's Day gift this year was this Case-Carhartt medium stockman with punch. I'm not particularly a Carhartt fan, but I like this pattern. I have one in CV and wanted one in stainless. And the Carhartt is the only stainless model out there.

Very fine fit and finish. These are either "as ground" blades or at least have a non-standard brushed finish. I'm a bit shocked at how much better I like it than the standard polished finish. Black G10 covers, which again surprised me because I like them very much. Excellent fit and finish. The only thing I can point at is that one spring is very slightly proud when the Sheepsfoot blade is open. I used a couple of swipes from a Sharpmaker stone to round the edges on that and it is no longer noticeable. VERY nice knife.

As usual, my pictures do not do the knife justice.
xaCGorb.jpg

knarfeng knarfeng Looking good, Frank! I have a G10-clad Peanut, and I'm always surprised by how much heavier the knife is than my other Peanuts. Is your CV stockman in G10, as well? If it isn't, do you notice the weight difference?

Edited to correct the decimal point.
(Sorry. It's Sunday and my brain is in weekend mode.)

Wurrwulf Wurrwulf
I didn't until you mentioned it. It IS a tad heavier. I know that G10 and bone are not that different in density, so I got out my calipers and found that, while the blade stock is the same thickness at the tang, the Carhartt blade is thicker as you go out from the tang. Half an inch from the stepdown from the tang, the CV blade is 0.85" 0.085", while the Carhartt is 0.91" 0.091". Also, the Carhartt blade is a bit wider, as you can see in the photo below.

And while the tangs are the same thickness, they are shaped differently, with the Carhartt having more material on it.
xDkA2Cm.jpg

I had looked up the Case promo material for the Carhartt series before I bought the knife,
"Each knife in the collection will feature Tru-Sharp™ surgical steel blades with a Strong Shoulder Grind, Case’s special grinding process that gives added strength and rigidity to the knife blade at the tang area. .
... the stainless steel blades will also feature a Scotch-Brite™ brushed finish."
I couldn't figure out what they were talking about with that "strong should grind" comment, but now looking at it, I do. By Golly, either Case used new dies for fine blanking these blades or they are machined instead of stamped. Either way, no wonder the alignment is spot on.

So the blades are a tad wider, a tad thicker, and the tang is shaped differently. So, yes the knife is heavier.

You know, while a lot of folks like to ooh and ah about covers, it's the fine points of the design of a knife that turn me on. I find this knife to have a really interesting set of design choices. To me the differences on this knife are kind of like using a tuned exhaust on a roadster to get a bit more oomph out of the engine. You don't really notice it when you look at the car, but it drives better. It's very cool.

Last edited:
Wurrwulf Wurrwulf
I didn't until you mentioned it. It IS a tad heavier. I know that G10 and bone are not that different in density, so I got out my calipers and found that, while the blade stock is the same thickness at the tang, the Carhartt blade is thicker as you go out from the tang. Half an inch from the stepdown from the tang, the CV blade is 0.85", while the Carhartt is 0.91". Also, the Carhartt blade is a bit wider, as you can see in the photo below.

And while the tangs are the same thickness, they are shaped differently, with the Carhartt having more material on it.
xDkA2Cm.jpg

I had looked up the Case promo material for the Carhartt series before I bought the knife,
"Each knife in the collection will feature Tru-Sharp™ surgical steel blades with a Strong Shoulder Grind, Case’s special grinding process that gives added strength and rigidity to the knife blade at the tang area. .
... the stainless steel blades will also feature a Scotch-Brite™ brushed finish."
I couldn't figure out what they were talking about with that "strong should grind" comment, but now looking at it, I do. By Golly, either Case used new dies for fine blanking these blades or they are machined instead of stamped. Either way, no wonder the alignment is spot on.

So the blades are a tad wider, a tad thicker, and the tang is shaped differently. So, yes the knife is heavier.

You know, while a lot of folks like to ooh and ah about covers, it's the fine points of the design of a knife that turn me on. I find this knife to have a really interesting set of design choices. To me the differences on this knife are kind of like using a tuned exhaust on a roadster to get a bit more oomph out of the engine. You don't really notice it when you look at the car, but it drives better. It's very cool.

Incredible reply, Frank, and completely eye-opening! I had never noticed the different grind on the Carhartt knives. Thank you.

You actually made me grab my G10 Peanut, a smooth bone Peanut, and my calipers to see if there were any differences. My G10 Peanut is not a Carhartt model, and it doesn't have the angled plunge line like your's. I did find that, as your's, the main blade is a little thicker 1/2" forward of the tang (G10: .056" vs Bone: .0535"). The G10 is 0.002" thicker at the center pin, and the main blade of the G10 Peanut is, interestingly, 0.03" longer (1.93" vs 1.9"). The main blade of the G10 Peanut is 0.41" tall, while the Bone Peanut is 0.401" tall. I, unfortunately, don't own a scale accurate enough to get a difference in weight, although I can definitely "feel" a difference in the weight.

Now, I'm talking about thousandths of an inch and mere grams, which can absolutely come down to anything being touched by human hands. I don't know how hands-on Case is, but I would assume that at some point, a human is grinding or shaping or sharpening a blade. Maybe one day, I'll grab my dozen Case Peanuts and measure them all up to see what kind of variance there is from knife to knife.

Your posts always make me think, Frank. I appreciate that.

Back