#44 Northwoods barlow.

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by sogflash, Oct 31, 2013.

1. justsomedude

justsomedude

May 23, 2011
    It's very much like a Barlow version of the #23 and I prefer bareheaded patterns on knives this size as do many others, I feel (based solely on a few posts I think I remember seeing around here and no substantial information whatsoever).
    Barlows in general are popular and the Northwoods stamp is particularly cool.
    For me it was the Mammoth cover that really put this one over the top (although I ended up blowing my budget on something else :( )
    I think it's a little bit slimmer than many other patterns this length but I haven't measured.
    The blade shape and pull were done perfectly as well...

PS It's "pique". Not a grammarnazi or anything but pique is one of my favorite words... It's an auto-antonym meaning both "to excite or arouse" and "to cause a feeling of resentment".

2. csisland

csisland

Aug 8, 2013
    The handle choices are nice but the blade is too long for me.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  3. LEOGREG

LEOGREG

Jan 29, 2007
    Your wish is my command Sir "with the houndstooth."[​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

4. okbohn

okbohn

May 26, 2006
    What a great looking sheath. It looks so comfy in there. :)

5. Art_Vandeley

Art_Vandeley

Jul 22, 2009
    I plan on using mine for food prep and as a fancy eating tool. Is the factory grind typical GEC?

6. LEOGREG

LEOGREG

Jan 29, 2007
    No, they are not typical large, GEC i.e. thick. The blade is flat ground to a narrow profile and quite sharp, excellent slicer.

7. okbohn

okbohn

May 26, 2006
    I used mine as a steak knife last night. I thought later I should have got a pic. I guess I was just too hungry.

Mine came with a very dull edge. I think GEC is doing a much better job sending out knives that cut out of the box, but I don't think they will ever meet my desires, so,every one I get gets some sharpening time.

8. trevytrev

trevytrev

May 4, 2010
    Received my Mammoth Ivory yesterday Derrick and all I can say is WOW! I was concerned about the size but it's perfect. I'm going to post some pics tomorrow when I get time including some comparison shots with my Bullnose, 72 and #15. You are right about the edge, not very good. That will be remedied shortly though no no worries:D Great job on these!

9. urza

urza

May 20, 2010
    As Getout87 says, some patterns just speak to me. I like pretty much everything about this knife. The Tom's Choice Barlow was one of my favorite GEC offerings and this feels like an oversized, yet more elegant version of that.

Got mine yesterday, a lighter green/blue camel bone handle that is simply awesome. I must admit that I'm looking at it sitting next to my jigged bone Abilene and reallllllly thinking about ordering another Madison with jigged bone before they run out. :)

10. LEOGREG

LEOGREG

Jan 29, 2007
    You need to consider another dealer Derrick, mine sends me the sharp ones.;-)
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  11. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Visitor message left.

12. tonystl

tonystl Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Thanks. He makes a great product for a great price. Plus it shows off and protects amazing knives like this barlow.

13. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I pretty much had the same feelings and decided to order the Autumn jigged bone version. It is a very pretty knife also. I notice Derrick has another knife coming up with I believe a 4" closed length. May have to give some serious thought to it once it is out. It appears to going to be offered in Mammoth Ivory and Elephant ivory.

14. trevytrev

trevytrev

May 4, 2010
    Had some time to take some pics of the Mammoth Ivory #44 I received the day, it's a real beauty! I'll let the pics do the the talking but I included a Bullnose and a single blade 73 to show size and thickness comparisons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. LEOGREG

LEOGREG

Jan 29, 2007
    Beautiful scales, every one unique. Enjoy!

16. wws

wws

Mar 9, 2011
    WOW! That Mammoth Ivory is beautiful on that knife.

17. Turbomammoth

Turbomammoth

Mar 29, 2010
    Just received mine, and in no way could I take picture to give it the props it deserves.

Derrick, I just wanted to say thanks. It is by far, even in the "lowly economy" camel bone, the most beautifully finished traditional knife I've received. Opening the package attached a grin to my face. Opening the leather pouch made smile. Opening the blade made me hear angels.

Seriously, congrats. Your vision for the Madison is one of genius. There is absolutely nothing I don't like about it.

18. okbohn

okbohn

May 26, 2006
    Wow. You are very welcome!

19. MrVandercar

MrVandercar

Feb 23, 2012
    This is where the picture of mine would be if the USPS hadn't been sitting on my package in Portland for the past three days... Impatience has fully and thoroughly set in!

20. cilohaefink

cilohaefink

May 10, 2013
    Russell made barlows in that style.

Attached Files: