A reality check for most makers

Hi Will,

The handle material that Peter puts on the knives he has built costs more than $40. Let there be no doubt he knows that custom knives cost more than $40 worth of materials. He was trying to make a joke. He forgot the :D

Not to pick on Richard j, but if you look at the photo of the stag handled knife on his site. I believe you could get the materials for $40 for that knife. Note I said materials.

Does that "labor" rate apply to a dealer with 20 years experience and a Masters degree? :D (NOTE THE :D)

Les Robertson

Custom Knife Entrepreneur
www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com

Les,
I read Peter's comments right after waking up for night shift and before my first cup of coffee.... and I'd rather be making knives than getting up for night shift :D

Depends on what the 20 years of experience is in and if it's 20 years of experience. :p In umpiring we say there are umpires with "X" number of years experience and there are umpires with 1 year of experience "X" number of times. We may have to REMOVE years for your time in the 2 shop ;)

Hi Jose,

Your example of Mr. Butler is one where you seem to have earned your % and then some. I don't believe you expect all the smiths you work with will recieve the same kind of attention. Perhaps there are some whose knives did not sell well at all, maybe with brass or g. bone handles, or a customer who bought a knife for $xxxx and the maker's rep subsequently took a hit for whatever reason and his "value" was adjusted to $xxx? This is the risk we take when we "invest", in advertising or knives...

If you read the articles I have been writing for the last 2 1/2 years you will notice a couple of consistent themes:

1) No knives featured have Brass or G. Bone. Now if a person wants to order a knife with those materials that is their prerogative. Just as it is the makers prerogative to accept or refuse the order. As most are "custom" knife makers they will do what the customer requests.

2) There is no self promotion in my articles. If it were not for the by line you would never see my name or any contact information in the article.

3) Feel free to contact any of the makers I have written about....all of them have received at least double digit orders due directly to the article.

I am in a business relationship with these makers. It is my job to not only endorse and recommend them. As well it is my job to Self Promote. This is done utilizing several avenues such as doing seminars, writing a book, doing articles on other things such as business and putting myself into a position where I get interviewed for different articles, etc.

This self-promotion lends credence (or weight) in some peoples minds with regards to me recommending someone with an article in a knife magazine. This article may remove the last objection to someone making a purchase.

Ultimately one of the goals of every maker should be to get as many of their knives into collectors/users hands as possible.

Les Robertson

I really caused a heated debate here seems like. Srry about that people.

Anyway, I guess I agree now, I never taught about dealers promoting a knife maker's reputation before this.(However, I still think most dealers coulnd't care less.) I also still believe the knife maker does more as far as actual physical labor goes though. Once I start selling, I also won't give discounts, as that would be unfair to non-dealers. (Especially unfair if a person activily enrolled in millitary duties was to want to buy one.)

Also, giving discounts somewhat looks bad against other potential clients if they was to notice that your giving a discount. More in likely, it would cause them to question your pricing structure.

None, as I'm in no position to even start selling yet. I won't give discounts, but I'm to the point now where I won't mind them selling for higher. (I'll just ignore it.)

Hi Byron,

So you have never worked with a dealer....so you have no real experience at all with regards to this.

It is good to hear that you are ok with a dealer...who you don't give a discount to, selling the knife for more than you do. LOL

Byron, don't worry about working with dealers.

Les Robertson

Theres several that sells to dealers without the use of discounts. so what you mean dont worry about them? A discount isn't neccesary for dealears to be succesful if they deal with real known makers. (Which is probably atleast another 30+ years of work for me, at the rate I'm going maybe more)

Anyway, I have to go again.

Hi Byron,

Oh ok, I didn't realize that you were on the 30 year plan. You may be correct by then you probably will be able to get full price for your knives.

I thought you might be looking to position yourself in a desired market in less than a couple of decades.

Best of Luck.

Les Robertson

I really caused a heated debate here seems like. Srry about that people.

Anyway, I guess I agree now, I never taught about dealers promoting a knife maker's reputation before this.(However, I still think most dealers coulnd't care less.) I also still believe the knife maker does more as far as actual physical labor goes though. Once I start selling, I also won't give discounts, as that would be unfair to non-dealers. (Especially unfair if a person activily enrolled in millitary duties was to want to buy one.)

Also, giving discounts somewhat looks bad against other potential clients if they was to notice that your giving a discount. More in likely, it would cause them to question your pricing structure.

Actually, i give a standard 30% to any active service military or police/fire man. whats your point????

Linky
http://www.fowlerblades.com/Policies.html

Hi Jose,

If you read the articles I have been writing for the last 2 1/2 years you will notice a couple of consistent themes:

1) No knives featured have Brass or G. Bone. Now if a person wants to order a knife with those materials that is their prerogative. Just as it is the makers prerogative to accept or refuse the order. As most are "custom" knife makers they will do what the customer requests.

2) There is no self promotion in my articles. If it were not for the by line you would never see my name or any contact information in the article.

3) Feel free to contact any of the makers I have written about....all of them have received at least double digit orders due directly to the article.

I am in a business relationship with these makers. It is my job to not only endorse and recommend them. As well it is my job to Self Promote. This is done utilizing several avenues such as doing seminars, writing a book, doing articles on other things such as business and putting myself into a position where I get interviewed for different articles, etc.

This self-promotion lends credence (or weight) in some peoples minds with regards to me recommending someone with an article in a knife magazine. This article may remove the last objection to someone making a purchase.

Ultimately one of the goals of every maker should be to get as many of their knives into collectors/users hands as possible.

Les Robertson

Les, I know it's your job and you do it well. You also get a lot of exposure here to "promote" yourself and the knives you sell. All I'm saying is there's more than one way to view what's written on these forums so it's good to know the source and what their motives are. You "sell" the makers you have a relationship with, collecters promote the makers whose knives they own, posters with "strong" personalities want to have the loudest voice. There's been a lot of arguing on here recently and I don't think it's as simple as someone being right and the other wrong, just different points of view...

There's been a lot of arguing on here recently and I don't think it's as simple as someone being right and the other wrong, just different points of view...

:thumbup: At last some perspective that actually rings true.

In my pointed head the arguing is silly. I just enjoy collecting knives and the people associated with knives. I buy the knives that I want to add to my collection. Simple as that.

i still agree with what metalbender2 first said in his post on the first page about this thread. ;):D

Hi Jose,

What I do is more than just my job. If I wanted a "job" I could have one like most of the makers and dealers who are part-time

When I was a collector and had a job (Army), I met Paul Basch. His full time job was that of custom knife dealer. Paul went out of his way to educate collectors. He would make recommendations...whether he had a relationship with the maker or not (as I do). Regarding which knives were best suited for your collection and the amount of money you had. Almost without exception he was correct in his recommendation.

Why, because he was a full time custom knife dealer? No. Because he loves custom knives. He learned all he could about it. He understood all the behind the scenes goings on, how to identify which makers had potential, how to spot trends and more importantly how to get out of them 6 months before they stopped. He knew not to buy into fads as they were sure to fail and you didn't want to have people bringing those knives back to you as you knew they were not want the collectors wanted.

My addition(s) to what Paul taught me were my field experience with knives (which came in very handy when the "tactical" knife market exploded) and concepts I learned in business school. Here is an example.

Jose, I don't know how long you have been collecting. I can tell you that prior to about 14 years ago, there was no such thing as a "Standard Dealer Discount." A dealer might have a relationship with a maker and received a discount. Primarily the dealer bought the knife and then marked it up to what they thought the buyer would pay. To a large extent the knives on the dealers tables were not priced.

What I did was approach a maker, guarantee to buy at least 5 knives and in exchange I would receive a discount. Some agreed and some thought I was insane. My idea was to sell the knives at the makers price...never below. What made me think of this was two things.

First, when the Saturn car company ran their ads the company had one price...no haggling. As their stance was it was the haggling that most people hated.

Second, by implementing the same price strategy. I would eliminate bargaining at shows as my answer was and still is "I have an agreement with the maker, I don't sell below his price and he continues to sell me knives". You have to understand this was before the Internet and was very revolutionary at the time. This of course saved me time.

I have no doubt that other dealers over the last 50-60 years have done something similar to what I did. However at the time, no one else that I knew of was doing this.

A strategy I use today is via the Internet and other venues I let people know my feelings about certain knives and materials. Not because they shouldn't collect them or buy knives with those materials. Because I don't want you to bring them to me and try to sell or trade them. Jose, it is simply a time saver for both the collector and myself. I have to tell you it has cut down the "bitching" (when I say no) at my table to almost nothing. Obviously, this strategy worked.

Yes, as a collector you can have any materials or styles you like in your collection. The sticking point for many comes when they try to sell or trade the knife.

Jose, I am a collector much more than I am a businessman. I hated the fact that I had dealer's and some makers take advantage of me when I first started buying custom knives. Again, no one held a gun to my head to buy the knives. The makers and dealers did their job at the show...they sold me.

I wrote my book, not for the money or my "ego" but to help people understand what they were looking at better. I don't get paid for my seminars...I do them to help both collectors and makers understand the potential of the custom knife market. Because I am a full time custom knife dealer I am in a unique position to study the market every day. When I make a suggestion, recommendation, etc. This is not a guess, a hope or a wish.

I do understand that others have a point of view and they are welcome to it. Their point of view is based on their experiences in custom knives, good bad or indifferent.

However, I will not sit idly by when personal attacks are made or generalization's about how "Dealers don't earn their money or they shouldn't receive a discount. Especially by those who have never worked with a dealer! That is not self promotion or self preservation that is correcting "errors in judgment."

Jose, many more people read these threads and never post. Since my name is attached to these threads (even when I was woodwork ghost most people knew who I was), I feel obliged to give my side of the story.

I understand some people would prefer Kumbaya and not arguing. My experience is that Kumbaya can take a simple subject and drag it out (so as to not hurt someone's feeling) and waste a lot of time and effort. Personally, I don't have time for that.

I enjoyed Kevin Jone's posts as many times he made you think.

I enjoyed STeven's posts as he got to the heart of the matter and on occasion bruised an ego or two. STeven is a slice of life...he comes at you fast and hard and if your not ready for it, you can get knocked on your ass.

What do they both have in common...they don't post here anymore.

So we are losing important parts of this forum and picking up more anonymous members who won't even give their names.

Kumbaya

Les Robertson

Les, I really didn't intend to get into an argument with you. Dealers perform a service and earn their money, or they go out of business.

I've had personal interaction with you in the past and don't believe the comparison to Paul Basch is appropriate. Maybe you are more philanthropist than I've realized but I just don't know. I don't have the inclination to research all your posts but it's in my mind that you've differentiated yourself from the average dealer in the past by being able to influence trends. When you talk about brass, g. bone, mokume, I believe you are doing just that. I assumed because you had a hard time selling them before, but from your responses it seems not. They are not items you sell, however, so it would not impact your business in a negative way.

I don't mind the "anonymous" poster, either he knows what he's talking about or not. I don't think that having to give your name and occupation should be a prerequisite to having your questions answered. If I'm not mistaken it's two platinum members you've mentioned. I can't help but think that you yourself gain so much from this forum but don't have a paid membership. Yes, there are many who post on these forums but many more who just read. That is a vast audience to reach with your "sales pitch" or even just to view the link to your sales site. Should we give your comments less credence because of it?

Again, we're all entitled to our opinions. Maybe they're right, maybe no, maybe so. One thing is for sure and that's that we won't all see eye to eye. I wish you, as well as the rest of us, success and profit. :thumbup:

Hi Jose,

My comparison to Paul begins and ends with we were/are full time custom knife dealers and that we both try and help people get the right knife. When I first met Paul he was a wealth of knowledge and immeasurable help. Did he sell me a lot of knives....yes he did.

You are correct about brass, NS, G bone and Mokume. I don't have a difficult time selling them as I don't. As you say these were items I didn't sell, however they were having a negative affect on my business. What I had difficulty with are those who having bought them and changed their minds. Taking exception to the fact that I don't want to buy or trade for their knives with this material. If you eliminate the source of the problem...you eliminate the problem.

Also, I don't have a "Sales Pitch". Sales pitches are scripted and memorized. These are given to entry level sales people who don't fully understand the product line and how the product can fill a need or eliminate a problem.

The reason I ask for someones name and occupation is simple. I like to know who I am talking to. As well when someone knows that you know who they are they are more likely to use at least a base level filter on their comments.

Their occupation helps me understand where they might be coming from. This allows me to try and put parameters that they may better understand what I am trying to say.

I always give more credence to someone's comments who use their real name.
As they are willing to take responsibility for their words.

Les Robertson

Les, fair enough. It does still seem to go back to personal preference, something you don't want to sell. If it was the other way around you'd complain of the collectors who tried to sell you knives with stainless fittings... :D

Please excuse the term sales pitch, when I use quote marks it's for lack of a better word. I don't have a problem admitting I'm not the most eloquent person on these forums. I didn't mean to imply you're a "huckster". I agree it's easier to talk out of your backside when you're anonymous, as obvious as it may be, so I would not be against us all using our real names.

I think it comes down to reading threads with a heavy weight on context.

-A collector who has thousands invested in a particular style or maker would be crazy to not speak higly and support similar sytles or his maker. If he does, he generates interest in the goods he has purchased. Otherwise his "investment" might lose value. Some care about this, some don't.
-A fulltime maker who has his living dependant on public opinion and reputation will normally try to support his work and others, but also needs to try to hold his tongue because the same people reading his personal opinions are the ones deciding if they want to work with the maker. "Kumbaya" might be something they do for a reason other than kindness...after all, they are running a business.
-A non-investment grade collector might not be interested in critique outside the scope of "love it" or "hate it" and their opinion is no less welcome than the "big names" because this isn't a private collectors forum, its a public forum. 20K in knife purchases might make someone more qualified to critique, but it doesn't make their comments any more worthy of being here than the 20 year old guy who just likes looking at pictures.
-Dealers who only sell particular styles or makers or materials should and will support their makers and their choices for what to stock. They'd be crazy to do otherwise. Are they trying to influence the market to get more sales of the knives they choose to stock? If they are smart, they are! Again, they are running a business.

Knowing all this is important to "reading between the lines." If someone seems to be patting themself on the back, they might be integrating an attempt to gain respect in whatever angle they are coming at custom knives from. If they seem to talk alot about their resume out of context, its not surprising to find they might be trying to show they are qualified for what they are trying to "sell," be it their business, their knives, or their opinion.

I don't think theres anything wrong with any of the above...but if its ignored, its easy to read posts and misunderstand motive or context, tone or attitude. i think that is what Jose was trying to say in a prior post.

I think it comes down to reading threads with a heavy weight on context.

-A collector who has thousands invested in a particular style or maker would be crazy to not speak higly and support similar sytles or his maker. If he does, he generates interest in the goods he has purchased. Otherwise his "investment" might lose value. Some care about this, some don't.
-A fulltime maker who has his living dependant on public opinion and reputation will normally try to support his work and others, but also needs to try to hold his tongue because the same people reading his personal opinions are the ones deciding if they want to work with the maker. "Kumbaya" might be something they do for a reason other than kindness...after all, they are running a business.
-A non-investment grade collector might not be interested in critique outside the scope of "love it" or "hate it" and their opinion is no less welcome than the "big names" because this isn't a private collectors forum, its a public forum. 20K in knife purchases might make someone more qualified to critique, but it doesn't make their comments any more worthy of being here than the 20 year old guy who just likes looking at pictures.
-Dealers who only sell particular styles or makers or materials should and will support their makers and their choices for what to stock. They'd be crazy to do otherwise. Are they trying to influence the market to get more sales of the knives they choose to stock? If they are smart, they are! Again, they are running a business.

Knowing all this is important to "reading between the lines." If someone seems to be patting themself on the back, they might be integrating an attempt to gain respect in whatever angle they are coming at custom knives from. If they seem to talk alot about their resume out of context, its not surprising to find they might be trying to show they are qualified for what they are trying to "sell," be it their business, their knives, or their opinion.

I don't think theres anything wrong with any of the above...but if its ignored, its easy to read posts and misunderstand motive or context, tone or attitude. i think that is what Jose was trying to say in a prior post.

100 percent

Back