• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Brad Duncan Custom Knives = NO HONOR! Beware!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I checked with my bank and they can't help. This occurred too long ago and the money is gone. There is no "charge back" on a certified check drawn from the bank unless it is lost in the mail. They could have voided it had that happened. I may have to take a trip to the P.D. though I had hoped to avoid that. I suppose there is no point in giving them any more time or chances - they obviously are NOT going to pay me, send a knife or even reply to my calls and emails. I think you might be right brailledriver. The police may just have to deal with this one. In Illinois, theft over $100 (or $250, I forget) is a felony, so the $450 should at least get a passing bit of attention.

If you sent the check by mail (and not a shipping or courier service), you can get the USPS involved, since what has happened is Mail Fraud. Contact the Postal Inspector in your area. They take Mail Fraud very seriously, even when relatively small amounts of money are involved.

Thank you for the tip Planterz. I forgot about the Postal Inspectors. Good call. As of today, STILL nothing from Brad. His wife contacted me via email two weeks ago saying he was sending a completed knife right out... guess it wasn't as complete as I had hoped.

Brad Duncan is a liar and a thief. Take it from someone that was his friend and trusted him. That is worse than then the several thousand dollars he stole from me and all his empty promises. The man has certified mental issues and personality disorders as well. His moment of truth is at hand as he has already fallen on his own sword. As a dealer loving his knives it is a rather interesting quandary whether to sell the great looking Duncan knives I have in stock or eat them on principle. Do I have the right to demand the same of others. Perhaps not.
There are the financial considerations of myself and others course to be considered. Perhaps Duncan's lifeline dealers should not continue to do business with this guy out of respect for the knife community. Would a car dealership continuously sell cars that could not get serviced or whose integrity is defunct. Overall I believe it would be best for Brad Duncan to benched and focus on other great knife makers with integrity and character.

Still nothing from this deadbeat. I've spoken on the phone to his wife each week since my last post and each week it is "going out Wednesday or Thursday". Sad part is I don't even want the knife anymore, but I doubt I'll see any refund from him. Still screwed.

Legit or not, here's the latest from the Duncan's. I doubt I'll even see the knife now, let alone a refund...

David, Im sorry about what Brad has done but if it
makes you feel any better, Last week he let me go out
with my friend and I came home to a empty home. He
left the baby at someones house and left me with no
money and a car thats up for repo. If theres anything
I can do to help you press charges I will. It would
help me if you could write a letter about what happen
so I can show the judge what type of person he is we
have a family violence case coming up April 6th but I
know he has left state cuz he hit me before.Im using
my teacher computer and my phone is off. you can reach
me at her number 214 909 ****

--- David <*******@***.com> wrote:

Well, I thought the issue was closed, but here again
14 days later and
no knife. I'm not terribly surprised but I am
disappointed. I though
that everything had been worked out but apparently I
was wrong. Do you
know if Brad ever mailed me the knife? Brad, feel
free to reply
personally. Do you actually intend to send me a
knife?

David

On Feb 13, 2008, at 11:44 AM, Brandi Kirby wrote:

Hello David I went to talk to Brad he said he
would
mail you a knife on Wednesday.Brad has hired
someone
to handle this sort of problem so it doesn't
happen
again in the future. Please understand that Brad
wants
to make everyone happy but sometimes things happen
that put delays on peoples orders.Thank you for
your
patience's.
Thanks,
Brandi

WOW. Been reading through this post for the last hour, and it is hard to fathom what has been going on. I have been wanting a Brad Duncan Monster folder for a long time and actually had a bead on one that I could pick up in April. As bad as I want that knife, I will not be buying it. I agree with what everyone has said on this post, except for sidebet of course, and will not pursue any knife from this maker.

I'm sorry for the folks who were ripped off. Has anything else developed in this case? It looks like a month has gone by since the last post.

:barf:
Anyone else get robbed by this coward? Same old story here... sent him the cashiers check in October 2007 (which he cashed right away of course) and months later no knife, no communications, no nothing! Turns out he isn't even listed as a business in Texas according to the Better Business Bureau. To anyone even considering one of Brad's knives: DON'T DO IT, move on to someone reputable like Lightfoot. Brad Duncan doesn't deliver the goods, doesn't return calls and doesn't return emails. Yeah, I know knifemakers can often take a long time to complete an order as that's just the state of the industry. I can handle that, no problem. But I haven't even been given the usual courtesy of being told "I'm a bigshot knife maker shut up an be glad you have been given the privilege to chuck off and wait." by Brad. I've heard nothing unless his poorly composed automated email replies count. Funny thing though... I looked over his website again, trying to view it from a general internet consumer stand point -vs- a knife collector standpoint. In retrospect, if he were in any other business I never would have sent him a dime: no address listed, no phone number listed, no recent updates to his site content, expired or outdated email addresses, poor spelling and improper grammar. Basically, very unprofessional site and fitting the profile of a scam website. Anyhow, best not to get off on a rant. Don't order anything from him as he can't even deliver on orders from October 2007, so I would doubt anything you order now will get done anytime soon. Oh, and according to his website he IS accepting orders AND full payments for new work, I checked via email. Ed Yabarra apparently answers emails at elkent892@verizon.net for NEW orders only. Previous business dealings don't concern him at all and don't get addressed by him or anyone else apparently. Mostly, DON'T send him a dime until your knife is in your hand since you will not hear from him again once he is paid. If you MUST buy one, go through a reputable dealer or at least pay him with Amex or another credit card that will back you up in a dispute. If you have a problem or need to contact him, don't bother with his business number: 214-440-9250 or his email: brad@duncanknives.com - they're both just dead ends. I always said that I would never engage in the open flaming of someone on the forums, but this time (for Brad Duncan) I'll make an exception. He deserves it for stealing $450 from me. Hope it's worth it Brad and a Happy Flippin' New Year to you too! Oh, and Brad, feel free to post your side of the sob story. It would be welcome since I havent heard ANYTHING from you or your new business manager, Ed Yabarra, since you cashed my check.

I have dedcided to use the system: Interstate Commerce Commision, US Postal fraud devision, States attorney Texas, A certain number of my brothers that have a billet near his town that specialize in psy-ops (no, not going to plan an asualt) just get his attention. He has done the same to me and got me for $1,100. It is not asmuch the money asd it is about respect and business accumen. If he reads these, I would invite him to get honest and tell us all what really is going on. I think the truth, although sometimes painful will bring people closer to understanding andf support rather than contempt and anger. Human nature. Next, it put a black eye on the hobby/life style we all embrace.

Red Dog 6
CW3/ 5th Group ODA 440, 110 CIDG MIKE 70-72/ South America Rhodensia Wild Geese.

If there are any MACVSOG brothers out there I think I can convince the Staes attorney, maybe the inter-state commerce commision and a couple other agencies to take an interest in out boy. A good friend with trhe 7th Group made a suggestion which I quickly poo-pood. But there are laws that protect the trusting. I think the guys have severe personal problems and perhaps psyco ones as well. But he seems so consistently evasive and he lies pathologiclly; one has to wonder if the man does not need help instead of tying him to the bumber of a pick up truck and circling the city.
de oppresso libre,
Red Dog 6

Hi Everyone,
I am a custom maker. This is just my opinion.I do not accept payment or deposits.when a custom order is finished I send pics to the client and on his approval the deal is done.(knife and funds change hands).After receiveing his knife for any reason the customer is not completely satisfied he can return for a full refund.Only when a customer has the knife in his Hand and is happy do I consider the sale complete.
Ed caffery, started a thread on Knife Network about taking deposits. Most makers don't expect payment before the order is complete. Good thread

Just to say that that happened to XJ-linux, has happened to me, too! I contacted Brad-the-liar in June 07 for a Whiplash and he prompt replied to me. He said I should have to pay him in advance because it was an overseas order (I'm Swiss).
I have ordered several knives from US knifemakers, and I have always been very happy and satisfied with the knives and the people's behaviour!
But in this case, it's a SHAME! I can't understand why reputable knife's dealer do accept knife from this liar! It's not correct! The only thing he deserves is fail his business.
He and his "manager" (do they know the meaning of this word??) Ed never answered my mails since october... I know my 590 bucks are now lost!
I agree about never pay a knife in advance; I have now learned this lesson...
I'll send the link of this conversation to all the dealers I know to let them all know who is Brad Duncan... and as you already said... word spreads quickly!
How could he attend a knife show? He should be banned from these places where serious and hard-working people meet!

The same happened to me with Brad. A real fraud. I paid him 590 bucks in June 07 and I'm still waiting, without any reply to my mails. I've learned now this lesson, never paid in advance, and if asked for, go anywhere else!
He deserves to fail his business; one can make a mistake and given a second chance, but in this case, I think that all the comments posted demonstrate clearly was a poor and without ethic person Duncan is...

The same happened to me with Brad. A real fraud. I paid him 590 bucks in June 07 and I'm still waiting, without any reply to my mails. I've learned now this lesson, never paid in advance, and if asked for, go anywhere else!
He deserves to fail his business; one can make a mistake and given a second chance, but in this case, I think that all the comments posted demonstrate clearly was a poor and without ethic person Duncan is...

Cougar3677 - Karl was able to get Brad to FINALLY give me my knife. It arrived today and was actually the type and style I had originally ordered over 6 months ago. On top of that, it's actually very well built and solid. Proof that Brad can build one heck of a knife when his head isn't up his a##. What a trip! Needless to say I won't be keeping this one as there is too much water under the bridge - such is life. I just wanted to let everyone know you don't have to let yourself be pushed around by the quirks and whims of some of the more troubled knife makers. All I wanted from the start was my knife of the money I paid for it, nothing more. This is a good community and people will help you if you let them. Karl has been working behind the scenes for over a month to get this sorted out. Thanks to all of you out there that I have been communicating with on this, every one help in their own way!
Dave

PS: NEVER PAY UP FRONT, NEVER PAY UP FRONT, and NEVER PAY UP FRONT! And get a photo of the completed knife before you pay (with a credit card so you can cancel payment on it if needed).

"At this time I will reserve the right to cancel any order where a customer has dragged my name through the mud on any of the forums with the intention to receive quicker service or make me loose business. I will find out about it and you can consider your order done if you participate in this childish behavior. By Done I mean you won't get a refund or a knife."

That is actually on the front page of his website! Simply amazing. I would definitely donate to a legal fund setup to fight for the people that were ripped off by this scam artist.

Look... People fall and make mistakes.
I'm not any different. It's how you get back up!

The demand continues to grow and I am still only one person.

There are a lot of lies on these forums. Lies, lies, lies ...

Most of you people don't know me.

If you don't know me then you have no room to talk.

Anyone who continues to talk shit is only making my orders increase so be my guest.

Believe it or not I will never go away until Im dead.

I love all those who continue to buy my knives reguardless of these bullxxxit forums.

If you all only new the pressures of being custom knife maker in great demand.

99 % of you will never know and that will never change.

This is the only post you will ever see from me. Good or bad you all made me what I am.

Like I said love me or hate me the knives will keep flowing and the vulgar display of knife making power will grow and grow.

You dont have a clue what I have kept on my drawing board for years because the custom world wasn't ready.

Ready or not it's gonna come like a hell storm.

See you in hell!!!!

I like some of Brad Duncan's work. Actually looking into purchasing one of his models. But after reading past posts and now this one, I will not be ordering from him directly. I think I will pursue the For Sale forums and some of the reputable online knife purveyors. Thanks for the heads-up. Not good business practice for Brad Duncan, word spreads quickly.

let me get this straight... you agree that this guy is a theif in so much words, however you would still buy his knives just not directly from him? does it not defeat the purpose of this thread?

XJ-linux, And everyone else who might be following this, I wanted to bring this back up as new events have transpired.

It seems Mr. Duncan is trying to rise from the ashes of his funeral pyre - he has been given his own forum on KF (opened up just recently). I thought those that still have business with him might want to go there and pay him a virtual visit!

Since the Dealers I know will not touch his knives - there is a person called couger3677 that appears to be selling his knives on that forum.

Perhaps there are those on KF that do not know of his past dealings, a posting there possibly in the "Feedback" area might be in order to save someone grief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back