"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Don't forget to spring ahead your watches, microwaves, alarm clocks, coffee maker timer, wall clocks, etc. one hour before you retire for the eve.
Daylite Savings returns Sunday. The time change is 01:59:59 --> 03:00:00. There is no 02:00:00 to 02:59:59 tomorrow Sunday Anti Meridian to work or sleep through. DaRn DST ... :(

Don't forget to spring ahead your watches, microwaves, alarm clocks, coffee maker timer, wall clocks, etc. one hour before you retire for the eve.
Daylite Savings returns Sunday. The time change is 01:59:59 --> 03:00:00. There is no 02:00:00 to 02:59:59 tomorrow Sunday Anti Meridian to work or sleep through. DaRn DST ... :(

Thanks for the reminder!!:cool:

I was never a happy early riser.
The whole spring ahead thing doesn't bother me near as much as when I was working. It's much easier to deal with the transition in retirement.
I always wondered why they couldn't just come to a consensus, change the time a half hour and leave it be.......
Probably a global decision would be darn near impossible.
I always wondered whose idea it was in the first place.
According to a google search:
In 1895, George Hudson, an entomologist from New Zealand, came up with the modern concept of daylight saving time. He proposed a two-hour time shift so he'd have more after-work hours of sunshine to go bug hunting in the summer.
Really? I go through this every year because some guy in 1895 wanted to have extra time to hunt bugs! :eek:;)

Really? I go through this every year because some guy in 1895 wanted to have extra time to hunt bugs! :eek:
I think it's supposed to also extend daylight hours for shopping and factory work. :rolleyes:

It seems like an obsolete concept nowadays, since air conditioning uses more electricity than electric lights. If I can set my own hours in the summer, I prefer to wake up early while it's relatively cool, and quit early before it gets too hot. Clock numbered time is all arbitrary anyway, only standardized when the railroads needed to coordinate schedules. Otherwise, we'd set our watches to noon when the sun is highest overhead. (my brother used to do that sometimes, just to be contrarian)

I think it's supposed to also extend daylight hours for shopping and factory work. :rolleyes:

It seems like an obsolete concept nowadays, since air conditioning uses more electricity than electric lights. If I can set my own hours in the summer, I prefer to wake up early while it's relatively cool, and quit early before it gets too hot. Clock numbered time is all arbitrary anyway, only standardized when the railroads needed to coordinate schedules. Otherwise, we'd set our watches to noon when the sun is highest overhead. (my brother used to do that sometimes, just to be contrarian)

Whoever came up with that high noon jazz had never been to Alaska...

We have several months where the sun never clears the horizon, and several opposite months where it spends about 8 hours at "high noon" and rarely drops to the horizon.

Figure out having daylight savings when you either have 24 hours of dark, or 24 hours of light to begin with. ;)

I was never a happy early riser.
The whole spring ahead thing doesn't bother me near as much as when I was working. It's much easier to deal with the transition in retirement.
I always wondered why they couldn't just come to a consensus, change the time a half hour and leave it be.......
Probably a global decision would be darn near impossible.
I always wondered whose idea it was in the first place.
According to a google search:

Really? I go through this every year because some guy in 1895 wanted to have extra time to hunt bugs! :eek:;)

I know a bloke who is descended from George Hudson, and he's not only a useless, fat, lump, but the only person I've ever heard defend the system! o_O

I heard that in north america, maybe worldwide (?), There are 11% more than average car accidents on the day after we lose an hour's sleep. And here's the cool part...the day after we get the extra hour of sleep, we have 11% fewer accidents. Same number, hmmm.
I know: lies, damnable lies, and statistics ;)

I set my clocks ahead this morning. My watch is still on EST, in case I have to check, but I don't want to get a call at 9:30 am, when I'm in my jammies because I think it's 8:30.

No new knives today, but I got this compass and watch for $2 each. The watch just needed a battery, and I fixed the needle clamp on the compass by turning it face down, backing out the screw, and screwing it back in.
3nEjFiN.jpg

Last edited:
Whoever came up with that high noon jazz had never been to Alaska...

We have several months where the sun never clears the horizon, and several opposite months where it spends about 8 hours at "high noon" and rarely drops to the horizon.

Figure out having daylight savings when you either have 24 hours of dark, or 24 hours of light to begin with. ;)
I can't imagine what that would do to my sleep cycle!

Back