Cold Steel vs. CRKT Lawsuit

@fourandtwentypence
So what you're saying is that once a folding blade is locked into position, it's not a "fixed" blade? I maintain it is....at least until you unlock it or that lock is released by some means. Whether it's by design or by failure, that blade is in a singular position - open - until that lock is unlocked or until it fails.

I also can see what thompson is attempting....and it's ridiculous. Smearing CRKT for "erroneous grammar" is not what this is about. It's about reducing competition in a most unethical manner.

It has been a considerable space of time since one has read such whining by an Internet jury of experts.

Glad you joined in to BF just in time to voice your opinion on this matter! I suppose us blade forums members, knife buyers and users can not form our own opinions about this and should leave the opinions to the cutlery educated court system, right?

I had a Cat Tanto. It is tough to break. It bent almost 90 degrees to then return back to true.
The pommel withstood slamming into concrete, brick, wood, and other rigid objects. It performed as advertised.

Wow. You owned a $16 rubber knife that was bendable and it performed as advertised, does that mean it's virtually indestructible? By the way, the FGX CAT TANTO is advertised on their website to "be hidden virtually everywhere from the hedges and flowerpots in your yard, to the refrigerator, bookshelves, and closets in your house. Keep one in every room of the house, from the laundry room to the bathroom shower! With violent home invasions on the rise a strategically placed Nightshade™ could save the day, and even your life."

Did you notice this model to be particularly, or virtually, elusive, difficult to find, evasive or slippery? Did it hide in plain sight as suggested? Did it store well in the refrigerator or laundry room? Did it ever save the day?
Advertising and ridiculous marketing designed for you to fill your entire property with these cheap pieces of chinese rubber that they are peddling. No thanks.

What is a bit funny is that most complaining here already own knives from either maker, or have been interested.
Now, that's fandom to the extreme.

Any evidence to back this up? I don't own a knife from either brand, for example.

Yes, Thompson is an arrogant pariah that will give the shirt from his back. He also refuses to play the games of the cutlery industry.

I think a game is exactly what he is playing with this frivolous suit. Especially considering the very liberal use of ridiculous marketing claims on his website. Such as virtually unbreakable, invisible, impervious to shock and scratch. If their knives could do all that I don't believe people would own knives from any other brand!

Like it or nor, or call it snuffing out competition, but to do something about the honesty of the industry is actually a noble, righteous thing.

Thanks for the chuckle! As I have said before, I am glad that cold steel has finally come up with a lock to survive their own in-house, self-invented testing and it is seeming to draw fans. They should have just continued down that route instead of trying to call out a smaller company for using marketing terminology that they use themselves, heavily. Good day.

Druid, you maintain an error. A folder has more points of failure than a fixed blade. It is odd why you didn't merely use the quote function, but oh, well. What do you think the stop pin in Demko's Triad lock is there to prevent, invasion of fluffy bunnies? ;)

It isn't libel if it is true- and it is. Come back when you can separate your biased opinions from fact after looking up years worth of forum posts, videos, blogs, so on, documenting the flat out lie by CRKT. Nice strawman; I never said this was about grammar, but that does have some bearing in court.

As to the rest of the treble damages and such, likely is it such is legal speak concocted by Cold Steel's attorneys.

Is it "ridiculous" to try to change a trend in an industry rife with libel?
It is "ridiculous" to misconstrue my statements, and answer with factless strawmen.

Good day. :)

This is pretty stupid. It's also the first time I've seen a company sue another company for something other than intellectual property violations, or patent infringement. CS just doesn't want someone out there making and marketing a lock that competes with theirs. They themselves have been known to make crazy claims, regardless of them being mostly true. And adding in that their locks perform worse then some of cold steels lower end knives is extremely petty and ridiculous. Even if true, who cares? Companies have the right to make lesser products than you. So much wtf.

Last edited:
Glad you joined in to BF just in time to voice your opinion on this matter! I suppose us blade forums members, knife buyers and users can not form our own opinions about this and should leave the opinions to the cutlery educated court system, right?

Wow. You owned a $16 rubber knife that was bendable and it performed as advertised, does that mean it's virtually indestructible? By the way, the FGX CAT TANTO is advertised on their website to "be hidden virtually everywhere from the hedges and flowerpots in your yard, to the refrigerator, bookshelves, and closets in your house. Keep one in every room of the house, from the laundry room to the bathroom shower! With violent home invasions on the rise a strategically placed Nightshade™ could save the day, and even your life."

Did you notice this model to be particularly, or virtually, elusive, difficult to find, evasive or slippery? Did it hide in plain sight as suggested? Did it store well in the refrigerator or laundry room? Did it ever save the day?
Advertising and ridiculous marketing designed for you to fill your entire property with these cheap pieces of chinese rubber that they are peddling. No thanks.

Any evidence to back this up? I don't own a knife from either brand, for example.

I think a game is exactly what he is playing with this frivolous suit. Especially considering the very liberal use of ridiculous marketing claims on his website. Such as virtually unbreakable, invisible, impervious to shock and scratch. If their knives could do all that I don't believe people would own knives from any other brand!

Thanks for the chuckle! As I have said before, I am glad that cold steel has finally come up with a lock to survive their own in-house, self-invented testing and it is seeming to draw fans. They should have just continued down that route instead of trying to call out a smaller company for using marketing terminology that they use themselves, heavily. Good day.

How does your insulation of my brief tenure have anything to do with the content or factual accuracy of my posts?
You CAN hide the Cat Tanto virtually anywhere, since it is a non-metallic knife. It cannot rust. One lived on the shower for months for that exact reason; it is light enough to be hidden under a desk with just tape.
The problem with prideful people like you (pride is a dangerous sin, you know) is that they rarely can be objective enough to see past their inflated egos. Scripture says, Seest thou a man wise in his own conceits? there is more hope of a fool than him. Dangerous indeed. Not suggested.

Self invented? Okay, don't you realize that most companies have their own protocol, since there is not a ruling body like a guild or association universally recognized by the cutlery industry to test knives to preset standards? Spyderco's testing has been guarded for years, yet is done in house. Demko said in the videos this was not how all makers text their knives; he also never claimed it was the best or only way to test cutlery. You get back to me when you establish such a thing, getting all the major brands to agree by a majority vote. I'll wait, and likely will until the bone rots. It never will happen.

Draw fans? To a probable extent, we are observing marketing. Is that any different than the car industry testing each other's brands against themselves? Again, no point to try to explain to the proud.

What's the use in trying to explain to a proud man the fact he misses the entire point?

I imagine your use of my common good bye is also meant in mocking, so I'll say, Jehovah bless you in the name of His Son Jesus,and put you on ignore so this doesn't turn into a pages long spat.

I'll just put it here,
You can start at 7:30
[video=youtube;zfVBSW7tO9k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfVBSW7tO9k[/video]

This seems like a bad marketing stunt, and it will likely cost them a large number of sales in the future.

I think that knife nuts who know about lawsuit and other things from the past are less than 3% of customers. Another 97% doesn't care at all about that drama on usn/bladeforums, just buy knives and use them.

If I was the president of a knife company, :D this would be my warranty: If you buy a knife from us and you try to break it or abuse it, it's yours.

How does your insulation of my brief tenure have anything to do with the content or factual accuracy of my posts?
You CAN hide the Cat Tanto virtually anywhere, since it is a non-metallic knife. It cannot rust. One lived on the shower for months for that exact reason; it is light enough to be hidden under a desk with just tape.
The problem with prideful people like you (pride is a dangerous sin, you know) is that they rarely can be objective enough to see past their inflated egos. Scripture says, Seest thou a man wise in his own conceits? there is more hope of a fool than him. Dangerous indeed. Not suggested.

Self invented? Okay, don't you realize that most companies have their own protocol, since there is not a ruling body like a guild or association universally recognized by the cutlery industry to test knives to preset standards? Spyderco's testing has been guarded for years, yet is done in house. Demko said in the videos this was not how all makers text their knives; he also never claimed it was the best or only way to test cutlery. You get back to me when you establish such a thing, getting all the major brands to agree by a majority vote. I'll wait, and likely will until the bone rots. It never will happen.

Draw fans? To a probable extent, we are observing marketing. Is that any different than the car industry testing each other's brands against themselves? Again, no point to try to explain to the proud.

What's the use in trying to explain to a proud man the fact he misses the entire point?

I imagine your use of my common good bye is also meant in mocking, so I'll say, Jehovah bless you in the name of His Son Jesus,and put you on ignore so this doesn't turn into a pages long spat.
Hides Virtually anywhere
but not really anywhere.
Didn't fit into my straw for example. Didn't fit in my wallet and didn't fit into the hole of my car antenna. Behind my wall heater it actually melted

and don't ask about the one which didn't want to hide in the microwave. Mallninjas attacking me while microwaving popcorn and I would be toast. Thanks a lot CS. Not! Luckily I know now my descendants could sue CS for fraudulent advertisement which let to my demise.

It seems there might be more places where it can't be hidden than where it could. :eek:
Seems the CRKT folders are virtually more fixed than this CS piece is virtually hideable everywhere.

Well it would appear CSs latest marketing campaign has been effective. Lynn's pot stirring as you all arguing over ad copy.

The only way this wouldn't be greasy is if Cold Steel was asking/going for ZERO damages or fees. But they are. I'm disappointed.

I posted the following in the Cold Steel Press release in their tread on this board:

-----------------

I am by NO means saying CS is wrong for what they are doing.

I applaud their direction if that's the actual intent of the move.

However, I'm going to play Devil's Advocate for a moment...

"....sounds like someone's trying to eliminate some competition...."

"virtual" - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/virtual?s=t

adjective
1. being such in power, force, or effect, though not actually or expressly such:
a virtual dependence on charity.
2. Optics.
noting an image formed by the apparent convergence of rays geometrically, but not actually, prolonged, as the image formed by a mirror (opposed to real ).
noting a focus of a system forming virtual images.
3. temporarily simulated or extended by computer software:
a virtual disk in RAM; virtual memory on a hard disk.

Definition #1 seems to apply.....so....if talking about "virtual fixed blade"......and apply it to the definition mentioned above...

"converting a folding blade into a virtual fixed blade" might simply mean "locking the blade makes it as non-folding as a fixed blade, though not actually or expressly."

Well, isn't that true to any locking blade by any company? What about rat tail tang fixed blades? The whole, "catastrophic failure if significant pressure is applied....."....We all know the same applies to that style knife and it is considered a fixed blade. I'd wager my 16 yr old daughter could easily break a rat tail designed fixed blade...I KNOW I have already.

And for the record, I wager that I could have no problem breaking a CS lock, touted as "the worlds strongest lock." Any mechanical lock is subject to failure...So should CS be sued in that case?

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/380507-Cold-steel-voyager-lock-failure

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/757637-Tri-Ad-Lock-Failure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WoEJwE2UsU

I'm curious. What's the actual issue or real reason for the suit? Does the CRKT violate some type of patent that CS can't get through in court? I don't know, is why I'm asking.

How the heck was that guy holding that Rajah that he did a spine whack and it cut the back of his knuckle?!
At least he didn't make up some story about being an Army Ranger in Somalia.

[emoji14]

(Yes, I went there)
Heh. And Cold Steel/CRKT cost about 1/10 the price.
Right on.

3 pages of it, do a search on their site for the term "virtually"

1917 CUTLASS "virtually an exact copy"
6" TI-LITE "virtually in a class by itself"
JUNGLE MACHETE W/SHEATH "it's virtually unbreakable"
KOGA SD1 "Made of virtually unbreakable plastic"
NATCHEZ BOWIE "is virtually indestructible"
AK-47 FIELD KNIFE "hard wearing virtually scratch resistant surface"
RAJAH II "our world renowned Tri Ad locking mechanism...virtually impervious to shock"
SECRET EDGE "it virtually disappears under clothing"
SWIFT I "strongest assisted opening knife on the market today. Virtually impervious to shock"
WAR HAWK "Capable of cutting or smashing through virtually any obstacle!"
CUSTOM PENDLETON HUNTER "With its tapered full tang construction and extra stout "spine" it's virtually indestructible"
FGX KARAMBIT "They can be hidden virtually everywhere"
MINI TAC SERIES "Their versatility is virtually endless."
PEACE MAKER SERIES "covered by your pant leg they're rendered virtually invisible."
Heh. That's funny.

I'm tired of getting fired up about this stuff. Buy what you like.

any response from CRKT yet? cold steel's reason to sue doesn't seem too valid...

I'm sure they'll say something, but I think if they're wise they'll keep it minimal and inoffensive.

I am (maybe was) a fan of Cold Steel, and if they look like the bad guy to me I strongly suspect it looks like that to everybody else. All CRKT has to do is let CS wallow in the mud by themselves and they'll look damn good in comparison.

I'm sure they'll say something, but I think if they're wise they'll keep it minimal and inoffensive.

I am (maybe was) a fan of Cold Steel, and if they look like the bad guy to me I strongly suspect it looks like that to everybody else. All CRKT has to do is let CS wallow in the mud by themselves and they'll look damn good in comparison.

I agree as PR is concerned but as a company and the products they sell? CS has them beat no matter how this turns out. Which is why this makes very little sense.

I agree as PR is concerned but as a company and the products they sell? CS has them beat no matter how this turns out. Which is why this makes very little sense.

Totally agree. That's the main reason this annoys me so much, Cold Steel has made such huge strides in terms of design language, practical working knives and materials that doing this just seems like they're completely shooting themselves in the foot.

Back