• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Custom SAK modder - HAIII Alox and Ti conversions - Pic Heavy examples

Syph can you get more different main blades? Maybe in D2 or S30V or even 1095?

For sure its on my to do for 2014. I need a proper grinder though. I get alot of requests for upgraded blade materials and also more blade shapes.

I found a local place to me that can waterjet blade blanks for me pretty cheap and I think thats what Id like to to make them in quantity. I like D2 for a first try as I can cut some tool parts out of that as the same time.

The only blade steel I have right now is some RWL34 damasteel, enough to make 6 blades, but now Im too scared to learn to grind on that first.

Ive also got some Ti liner lock liners in prototype now, and paring those with nice D2 blades with a flipper tab I think woudl be a big winner.

Also I still need to try a Ti backspring for fun. :D

For sure its on my to do for 2014. I need a proper grinder though. I get alot of requests for upgraded blade materials and also more blade shapes.

I found a local place to me that can waterjet blade blanks for me pretty cheap and I think thats what Id like to to make them in quantity. I like D2 for a first try as I can cut some tool parts out of that as the same time.

The only blade steel I have right now is some RWL34 damasteel, enough to make 6 blades, but now Im too scared to learn to grind on that first.

Ive also got some Ti liner lock liners in prototype now, and paring those with nice D2 blades with a flipper tab I think woudl be a big winner.

D2 sounds promising.

You let me know when you come up with a D2 sheepsfoot main blade. I'll need it. :D

Also, if I wanted to swap my orange scales for some blue ano, is that something I can do or will the knife fly apart? I'd be getting the scales from you. :D

Incredible!

Hard thing is thinking what sort of tools I want now! Arrrrrhhh!! Lol

I would also like to if you can do an orange anodized finish

I have a set of 10 scales out right now for orange hard anodize. They are due back next week, so I'll post some pics of how that turned out.

Cheers

Syph007, et al– While I'm already convinced of the durability of hard anodizing, the wide color selection available in Cerakote is very attractive. My father had the legs of our kitchen table hard anodized in black, and even with well over 30 years of daily use, they don't have a single mark on them.

I'm curious to hear how the cerakote scales have been holding up compared to the hard anodized scales.

Cerakote on hard mediums like steel holds up very well, but on the aluminum its only as durable as the soft metal underneath. So on aluminum the hard anodize holds up much better than cerakote.

I had one customer send me in a pocket worn cerakote custom and it did show much more rapid color removal than the hard anodized scales.

The original reason I went with some cerakote scales was to get orange scales. Now my electroplater has orange dye and Im waiting on a batch of hard anodized orange scales. If those turn out well I dont think I'll be cerakoting any more scales.

Syph007 – That settles it, then... I'll be ordering some hard ano'd combos from you very soon. Thanks for the info.

Looking forward to seeing how the orange scales come out. Keep up the fantastic work! Regards,

Alex

Syph007, new memeber and I like your work. I'm getting ready to head off to the desert soon and I would like to place the below order if still available.

I like the OD with the black tools and the red sliders/dividers
knife01.jpg

However could I get this tool set for the knife?
knife02.jpg

Wow! My favorite knife maker is going to start making knives.

I am going to start setting money aside now.

Would be alright if I send you an email everyday to ask about new creations?

OK, I will try to control my enthusiasm, but -- HURRAY!

Yep Im working on some fancy stuff for this year. Ive lined up a local heat treater for the custom blades who does good work, fast and cheap. They also have a DLC machine and hes willing to experiment on some SAK parts at low temp applications. Normally they run at 400 C but that would ruin the temper of the stock parts. So we're going to try a lower temp run at 150 C and see if the coating still works out.

I like the option of black tools, but black oxide on stainless is never perfect at best and DLC is so much nicer I'd love to get a bunch of parts done.

Wow! My favorite knife maker is going to start making knives.

I am going to start setting money aside now.

Would be alright if I send you an email everyday to ask about new creations?

OK, I will try to control my enthusiasm, but -- HURRAY!

I finally got a batch of hard anodized orange scales in. The place I use doesnt normally run orange but I asked nicely and they did a small batch for me.

I reallly find the metal saw for urban carry much more useful than the wood saw. So Ive been calling farmers with the metal saw, an urban farmer.

So here we have an orange urban farmer + scissors and phillips.

IMG_3462.jpg

IMG_3474.jpg

IMG_3481.jpg

IMG_3499.jpg

Back