First Look - Kershaw Echelon

Hi Thomas -

Thank you for the CAD drawing, that is very interesting.

Do you have a "master cutler" that does the work on a proto, or are these knives produced in a production way to test out the production viability of a design?

I find it very interesting to see behind the scenes in not only a custom makers shop, but in a high-volume manufacturing operation like Kershaw.

I notice that Kershaw knives that I have experience with have a very well done grind and very consistent quality. Commendable considering the range of your products and the volume that are produced.

best regards -

mqqn

Okay, so here are my first impressions...

1. That natural G10 makes it look like it should be glow-in-the-dark. Might not be a bad idea.
2. Is that thumb-stud adjustable? Looked like it could slide forward and backward.
3. No full-length backspacer. I don't really like that all that much because pocket change and keys get in there and mess up the edge if not carrying clipped. Just never liked pillar spacers.

My god... Kershaw never fails to dissapoint. Seriously, I'm lusting after this one.

Screw getting more semi-productions and customs, all I need to make me happy are my $89.95 MSRP Kershaws.

Keep it up Kershaw! (psst... make this non-assist please!)

I like the original green translucent but I just don't like it showing the spring of the locking mechanism
If its up to me: I'd say can I have a sandwich G10, white covering the spring & the translucent on top? I wonder how will that look...

I personally think that knife looks HAWT! love the transparent G-10(or G-11 I've heard it referred to as?).

the thumbstud is interesting - I thought it was designed like that to adjust the location, but now I realize it's not movable.

the only thing I'd like to see is some good sharp jimping on the liner lock and maybe the spine?

I also think this knife is much larger than what I'm picturing it to be in my head - something like a Leafstorm. I would like to see a mini version of this :p

I like so many of the kershaw offerings but I can't have them because of the assisted opening. I hope kershaw would someday offer manual opening versions of their models.

In most parts of the world automatics are forbidden and unlike in the usa, assisted opening will be regarded as automatics by the law enforcers.

I like so many of the kershaw offerings but I can't have them because of the assisted opening. I hope kershaw would someday offer manual opening versions of their models.

In most parts of the world automatics are forbidden and unlike in the usa, assisted opening will be regarded as automatics by the law enforcers.

If I remember correctly, it is easy to "modify" a SpeedSafe knife by opening the handle and removing the torsion bar ( as simple as taking off the scale while the knife is open and then pulling the torsion bar out). In any case, there's lots of tutorials on how to do it and it's extremely easy, but I'm not sure if there's still a strong detent.

If I remember correctly, it is easy to "modify" a SpeedSafe knife by opening the handle and removing the torsion bar ( as simple as taking off the scale while the knife is open and then pulling the torsion bar out). In any case, there's lots of tutorials on how to do it and it's extremely easy, but I'm not sure if there's still a strong detent.

the detent would vary knife to knife, but it definitely would be weaker than without the spring in every case.

I like it, not so sure at first sight but the more I look at the pictures and think about the street price the more it grows on me. Good grinds, very usable blade grinds, decent steel at a good price make for a good knife.

Anyone know how think it is at the spine? Maximum thickness?

Back