Hawaii Knife Life - daily use for work and play

A shame to see that beautiful eco system destroyed by them; I have zero sympathy for pigs (any of which can become feral monsters in a matter of months-even the cute little pink piglets)...how was the meat?

Something in LC200N would do you well, between the corrosive salt air and using it hunting, maybe a Siren?

Meat is good when smoked. Otherwise...pretty wild tasting. The scraps make great dog food though.

I am a big fan of Spyderco. I’ve definitely given some thought to that model.

Thanx for this thread MolokaiRider!
The wife and I were married in Hawaii.
Maui to be exact. I loved it, and really wanna get back some day.
Thanx again..

Thank you as well. Maui is definitely beautiful. Lots of development makes it difficult to enjoy a lot of the wildlife but there are a few hidden gems.

Thanks for the kind words!

My oldest son turns 18 on the 26th, so we asked a friend if we could use their beach house for him to stay at.
480E5528-8EFA-45CD-B580-82CE219FBAA9.jpeg 8B6064E8-0979-4F48-8BF0-9453CD18B127.jpeg
I carried this Manix in S110v today as I cut up some firewood to drop off for him and his friends.
5B27E8EC-E8E2-48FC-AD0B-EABE33415030.jpeg
There were a bunch of fresh coconuts so I opened up a green one to drink the water.
6D71333D-4A0D-412A-A2BC-53DD6B0B7A6C.jpeg
The knife is so sharp from the factory it took little effort.
BBE250E1-B2AD-4C36-BEF5-0DBB661E7BB3.jpeg
Dangit!
836EDFD9-98D5-4977-97AF-B4B525045BA5.jpeg
Went home and grabbed a couple DMT stones and free handed it.
587AA62E-D931-42B3-B727-920A6E23AE37.jpeg
The tip is repaired but my edge is ugly. Sharp, but definitely not my finest work.

Time to test it out again later and see how she holds up.
BFB179E9-FD5D-4487-B3B7-0629CBC41981.jpeg

Since we are knife knuts I thought I’d share this dive knife my son’s friend uses for everything. Diving, shoreline fishing, food, carving, camping, you name it. It was kinda neat and worked great for him.

Regular diving knives are known for having extreme corrosion resistance and ZERO edge holding properties... LOL. They work much better as ballast than as cutting implements. I have bent a couple trying to brain some tough fish.

Right now I carry a semi-DIY diving knife I made out of as skeletonized blank that I slapped two slabs of home-made micarta on it and bent some kydex for the seath. It is getting rust spots but I rather deal with that than with a dull edge. It needs some attention but so far it works.

Some brands make diving knives with a sacrificial zinc anode attached to the blade (or you can do it yourself, wedging a smal piece in between the handle and blade in the ricasso area (easy to do with rubber handles). This should protect the blade until the anode erodes away and then you just replace it. You can carve/grind a small piece out of a boat anode leftover. They should give it to you basically for free in any marine supply or marine mechanic shop.

If you want to go high tech, I think the only solution is to increase the budget and get a fixed blade from the H1 line of Spyderco. I just bought a Fish Hunter, should be here in one or two weeks... and I will need to bend another kydex sheath for it (the stock one is not suitable to strap it to your calf).

Mikel

The tip on that Manix gave out cutting a coconut? Was thinking about picking o e of these up. May not

Full flat grind and acute tip means thin/wek tips (unless the initial stock is uber thick). Spyderco Military, Paramilitary, Manix... they all have thin tips. There is no way arround it. If you want a stronger tip, get a saber ground Endura... you will have to try much harder to break the tip on that one.

Mikel

Regular diving knives are known for having extreme corrosion resistance and ZERO edge holding properties... LOL. They work much better as ballast than as cutting implements. I have bent a couple trying to brain some tough fish.

Right now I carry a semi-DIY diving knife I made out of as skeletonized blank that I slapped two slabs of home-made micarta on it and bent some kydex for the seath. It is getting rust spots but I rather deal with that than with a dull edge. It needs some attention but so far it works.

Some brands make diving knives with a sacrificial zinc anode attached to the blade (or you can do it yourself, wedging a smal piece in between the handle and blade in the ricasso area (easy to do with rubber handles). This should protect the blade until the anode erodes away and then you just replace it. You can carve/grind a small piece out of a boat anode leftover. They should give it to you basically for free in any marine supply or marine mechanic shop.

If you want to go high tech, I think the only solution is to increase the budget and get a fixed blade from the H1 line of Spyderco. I just bought a Fish Hunter, should be here in one or two weeks... and I will need to bend another kydex sheath for it (the stock one is not suitable to strap it to your calf).

Mikel

That’s some good info, I was not aware of all those possible features dive knives offered. I look forward to your thoughts on the Spyderco after you get some use with it.

The tip on that Manix gave out cutting a coconut? Was thinking about picking o e of these up. May not

M Mikel_24 is correct. The grind causes the tip to be very acute and susceptible to breaking; combined with a very hard and carbide rich steel...it’s definitely a factor.

The good news is with DMT stones it was extremely easy to sharpen out.

That’s some good info, I was not aware of all those possible features dive knives offered.

First knife that I know off that incorporated a zinc anode in the design was the Sporasub Snake Dagger. The round pommel is, indeed, zinc. Later on this pattern and concept has been copied and it is available from other brands, such as Mares.

A quick Google search led me to this one:
https://www.mares.com/shop/us-US/snake.html?change_region=1

Unless the pommel has been exchanged by an aluminum one (which would be a crap-tacular decision if you ask me), it is identical to the Sporasub one (also available at the time in green, somewhat easier to find if dropped).

Mikel

Don't mean to hijack, but wanted to share some pics of the north side of Moloka'i, the beautiful island that you live on.
Pictures don't do justice to just how beautiful the island is. I live on O'ahu and we don't have Na Pali cliffs like the other islands so it was even more spectacular for me.
First, obligatory knife pic.
Dexter Russel we used to cut up our steaks the night before:

DSCF4923.jpg

We anchored right off the Kalaupapa settlement for the night and did some bottom fishing.
Next morning we were off again!
These other pics are in no particular order as we were trolling back and forth. It's about 8 in the morning, the seas were on the rough side with boat doing some serious wave dancing but it was a beautiful morning!

DSCF4914.jpg

The malolo, flying fish were all out in force! Too fast for me to take pics of...Not sure what valley that is. Molokai Rider can help me out?

We didn't go the full north coast:

DSCF4902.jpg

Na Pali, literally 'the cliffs.'
O'ahu doesn't have this type of coastline for it's the only island surrounded by a reef system. The other islands are exposed on the north side so get pounded by waves, forming the cliffs. Moloka'i, Maui, and Kaua'i all have famous Na Pali.

DSCF4890.jpg

Kalaupapa peninsula from the east:

DSCF4938.jpg

The settlement is on the west side.
The peninsula is just a flat section of land separated from the rest of the island by those same mountains that create the cliffs. Perfect place to put a colony of people that you want to isolate. Unimaginable today what happened in the past.

Hanapa'a!
Hook up!
My 11 year old nephew brought this in just off the west side of Moloka'i.
About a 110 lbs.
DSCF4958.jpg

Had a pretty nice two days on the boat. It was a bit rough, we were under a south swell warning, but according to my brother is was a nice run across the channel (yeah right!). He says 2-4 foot seas with about 15 knot winds.
Took me half a day to get used to the boat dance.
I thought things were still rocking even as I came home and was taking a shower!
Thanks to the captain and crew of the Maggie Joe!
Moloka'i no ka oi (the best!)!

Don't mean to hijack, but wanted to share some pics of the north side of Moloka'i, the beautiful island that you live on.
Pictures don't do justice to just how beautiful the island is. I live on O'ahu and we don't have Na Pali cliffs like the other islands so it was even more spectacular for me.
First, obligatory knife pic.
Dexter Russel we used to cut up our steaks the night before:

View attachment 1369217

We anchored right off the Kalaupapa settlement for the night and did some bottom fishing.
Next morning we were off again!
These other pics are in no particular order as we were trolling back and forth. It's about 8 in the morning, the seas were on the rough side with boat doing some serious wave dancing but it was a beautiful morning!

View attachment 1369218

The malolo, flying fish were all out in force! Too fast for me to take pics of...Not sure what valley that is. Molokai Rider can help me out?

We didn't go the full north coast:

View attachment 1369219

Na Pali, literally 'the cliffs.'
O'ahu doesn't have this type of coastline for it's the only island surrounded by a reef system. The other islands are exposed on the north side so get pounded by waves, forming the cliffs. Moloka'i, Maui, and Kaua'i all have famous Na Pali.

View attachment 1369224

Kalaupapa peninsula from the east:

View attachment 1369225

The settlement is on the west side.
The peninsula is just a flat section of land separated from the rest of the island by those same mountains that create the cliffs. Perfect place to put a colony of people that you want to isolate. Unimaginable today what happened in the past.

Hanapa'a!
Hook up!
My 11 year old nephew brought this in just off the west side of Moloka'i.
About a 110 lbs.
View attachment 1369230

Had a pretty nice two days on the boat. It was a bit rough, we were under a south swell warning, but according to my brother is was a nice run across the channel (yeah right!). He says 2-4 foot seas with about 15 knot winds.
Took me half a day to get used to the boat dance.
I thought things were still rocking even as I came home and was taking a shower!
Thanks to the captain and crew of the Maggie Joe!
Moloka'i no ka oi (the best!)!

Nice pics and looks like you had a fun trip!

It is definitely a beautiful treasure back side!

We took a drive to higher elevation today to
escape the heat.

This was my carry.
D9340D0B-25F1-49A6-9835-32C259C9A5EA.jpeg CF42512A-38B0-4CFF-B449-6D1E292A7305.jpeg
Had this 112 on the belt. We were exploring an abandoned area that used to be home to a wood carver.
83443B44-0F72-4310-8810-E39163F21119.jpeg
The BK9 and Azwelke sheath are usually in my truck.
3B90B0BE-885F-45A8-B643-1703FAC0B936.jpeg D249222E-8AF5-40B3-952F-441A5193C707.jpeg 297CB1D6-60A8-49F0-94DB-C974076FBE74.jpeg

Attachments

• 7CF8F0BB-5575-4E09-89A6-78FBE18C19B5.jpeg
    7CF8F0BB-5575-4E09-89A6-78FBE18C19B5.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 3
The cherry guava are everywhere and sweet.
Decided to whittle, because it’s relaxing and quite enjoyable while sitting in the shade and keeping cool.

I used the Becker to cut the branch, rough shape the ends, chop off knots, then remove most of the bark. It’s very good at this. 281531EF-8DC4-47E7-BD63-6558F122B728.jpeg20280028-CFD7-4575-A05F-02EA68F02766.jpegF5765465-4B5B-41F0-A5CE-50979285641E.jpegC7875DC6-5550-4D41-8056-091E1C354E60.jpegBF2DED07-E3B2-4FD8-AFFC-D77B00615977.jpeg88D831CA-62B9-48DA-A5E6-4603E0D2BEB0.jpeg630D6184-8BFC-48B3-965E-614F96464C01.jpeg

2E2C722E-B1E2-4FC9-B0D8-E2D8CA07BD6B.jpeg
The 112 was used to mess around and finer cuts.

I wanted some fresh coconut to mix with a fruit salad.

This is a young green nut, so the meat will be good and the water sweet.

I used the SP5 to carefully cut off the fibers.
F110FB2F-A163-48DF-8EE4-730DD8B5BD93.jpeg 55234BA9-9A52-4BEC-B320-74A9CD34FC9B.jpeg
Once the fibers are cut and peeled off, you need to locate the eyes and mouth.

Hold the nut the the eyes up and mouth down parallel with the ground. Use the spine to give it a good whack and the nut will crack with a nice even break around the nut.
0DC5698E-92D0-439B-AF7D-30434B5ED40F.jpeg

E0C84C76-3C79-4640-8D48-4629B9BC9D94.jpeg A102F3E1-18F0-4BF3-B03A-A127384E277E.jpeg

Enjoy the water, then start scooping out the meat.

M Mikel_24 is correct. The grind causes the tip to be very acute and susceptible to breaking; combined with a very hard and carbide rich steel...it’s definitely a factor.

The good news is with DMT stones it was extremely easy to sharpen out.
When I first saw the blurple I thought to myself “oh no...I hope it’s a blade swap”...glad you were able to fix the tip, the super high vanadium steels just don’t have much in the way of toughness or lateral strength due to their carbide content.

How does S110V handle the humid climate there? It’s one of the most stain (and wear) resistant knife steels since almost all of its 15% chromium is available to form chromium oxide (stain preventing layer).

When I first saw the blurple I thought to myself “oh no...I hope it’s a blade swap”...glad you were able to fix the tip, the super high vanadium steels just don’t have much in the way of toughness or lateral strength due to their carbide content.

How does S110V handle the humid climate there? It’s one of the most stain (and wear) resistant knife steels since almost all of its 15% chromium is available to form chromium oxide (stain preventing layer).

You are correct about the toughness, I’ve learned my lesson and now I only use that knife for straight cuts. It’s done really well against corrosion though! No spotting or stains still, even after four or five years of rotational use.

Back