Laminated Bowie WIP - Photo Heavy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, here's a few updates...

dv010asm.jpg

The three bars, two stainelss and one 52100 are ground clean, ready to weld.

dv010-bsm.jpg

The steels need to be sealed to be protected from oxygen which will attack the stainless at forging temperatures. The billet can be sealed in a can, wrapped in layers or heat treating foil, or the seams can be welded shut. I've done it all of those ways and they all work. This billet has been welded shut at the seams.

dv011sm.jpg

The billet is heated to what I call muy hot. 2500 F.

dv012sm.jpg

The billet is welded first on the press...

dv013sm.jpg

...then on the hammer.

dv014sm.jpg

The welded billet.

Excuse me for being a bit dim here (I'm from sleepy old England;)), but when you say 'seams can be welded shut', do you mean they can be stick welded like when you weld a box up to dry forge damascus?
Am I right in saying that so long as there is no oxygen present between the layers, it will weld ok?
Very interesting thread by the way. :cool:

Ian

Ok, now for some grinding...

dv161sm.jpg

Doing the finish grinding. I didn't use the disc sander much on this knife at all (which is pretty much all I use for finishing) because of the strong recurved blade.

dv162sm.jpg

The finish ground blade. Finished to 400 grit.

dv163sm.jpg

Hand sanding with the big steel bar. Saw Don Fogg do this a couple years ago, and felt like an idiot for using a push stick or a little block all this time. Not that you should beel bad for using a push stick or a small block...:D

dv164sm.jpg

You can see the hand finish clearly compared to the shot above.

...and guard fitting...

dv165asm.jpg

Squaring up the little chunk of damascus that I'll use for the guard.

dv165bsm.jpg

The guard is held on the grinding magnet and the top curve is roughed in.

dv166sm.jpg

The curved guard is laid out on the blade, right where it will need to sit, and the angle of the curve is scribed onto the ricasso.

dv167sm.jpg

In the filing guide, the blade is canted to the left first, then to the right until the guide just lays tangential to the curve of the guard.

dv168sm.jpg

I drill several holes in line because it's easier on my poor little drill press than milling through the solid steel.

dv169sm.jpg

I'll usually "mill" the slot to within about .005" then file by hand to fit.

dv170sm.jpg

The guard slot filed to fit the blade.

dv171sm.jpg

And if I don't mess anything up, it'll fit like this.

Great tutorial! I always wondered how you filed those curves into the ricasso-tang junction.

Thanks for doing this Burt, very educational!

May I ask about the Fogg sanding trick ---- is the paper glued onto the bar, or just stretched and held in place? Also, is that some leather or something soft between the paper and steel bar? It almost appears so in the pic...

Eli, Don used a steel bar, bare I think, and he used self-adhesive sandpaper. I have a piece of very hard rubber glued to the bar, and I use spray adhesive to attach the paper. I use the rubber because it helps blend curved surfaces like convex edges and leaves a smoother finish than a bare bar (for me at least...).

Thank you Mr Foster. I've toyed with the idea of trying this for a while now, and having you share how you do it is very much appreciated.:D
Think I might put my little push-stick into retirement now as well.;)
Cheers,

Ian

Burt
I also wanted to thank you for sharing this. :thumbup: I can't wait to see the finished knife.

...And a little handle to guard indexing...

dv172sm.jpg

Sawing out the handle on the band saw. The handle will be black canvas micarta.

dv173sm.jpg

Slotting out the stainless spacer.

dv174sm.jpg

The spacer is drilled against the guard to make sure they will always re-index the same way after disassembly.

dv175sm.jpg

Then the spacer is placed on the handle (temporarily glued, actually) and drilled to match the same holes, so that all three - guard, spacer and handle will always line up.

dv176sm.jpg

Then I insert some 1/16" roll pins that will hold the pieces together. My fat fingers necessitate the little doctor tools...

Since this knife is a take-down, here's the few steps involved in this knife...

dv177sm.jpg

I've taken the piece of damascus that I'll use for the nut, welded it to a round bar, and roughed it down on the grinder.

dv178sm.jpg

It's chucked up in my new lathe.

dv179sm.jpg

I turn it down to size. By the way, in case you're a machinist (and I am not) you'll notice I'm using the wrong turning tool. See, you don't have to be smart to do this! :D

dv180sm.jpg

Drill a hole in one end, which I will tap with 1/4 x 20 threads.

dv181sm.jpg

Drill a 1/4" hole in the handle, then follow that with a 1/2" hole with a flat bottom. The nut will actually put pressure on that flat shelf on the inside of the hole.

dv182sm.jpg

I use a thin stainless tube as a liner for the hole and thread the nut into the hole to test fit. The nut will be flush with the butt when all's said and done.

I turn it down to size. By the way, in case you're a machinist (and I am not) you'll notice I'm using the wrong turning tool. See, you don't have to be smart to do this! :D

your self deprecation is obviously misplaced:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back