Let's see some Survival knife concepts !!!

Finished up!

BLC102_0556-vi.jpg

BLC102_0557-vi.jpg

BLC102_0567-vi.jpg

BLC102_0568-vi.jpg

BLC102_0571-vi.jpg

Oh wow.

Now that's a chopper! Great work, Andy. I love the forged finish on the blade.

All the best,

- Mike

The blanks of my concept arrived in the mail from Great Lakes Water Jet on Thursday and I'm just now getting around to posting pics. As many know, David does great work and these came out spot on to the drawing. Here is a shot of one of the blanks.

3711116382_2d86db6ec8_b.jpg

It is 16 inches overall with a maximum blade height of 2.5 inches. I got two blanks, both 0.250" thick and cut from 5160. This will afford me the opportunity to screw one up or have two for use as part of a passaround and giveaway. I'm shooting for the latter.

Here is a pic of the blank between my Fiddleback Woodsman and my Koster Survivor.

3711111992_498c66e7d8_b.jpg

I think it is more obvious from this pic that my handle shape needs a little more refinement. I'm also going to heed the advice of a respected maker and friend who suggested that I practice on a smaller, shorter, straight blade prior to trying to tackle these. Here is a sneak peak of that design as well.

3704214082_e6c010bf05_o.jpg

JC, those are both pretty dang cool designs, but that big one really gets my heart pumpin' :D:thumbup: I can't wait to see how they come out!

I'm working on building my Proto Survival knife. I'll post pics when it is done. BTW good thread, pitdog.

Here are the results of one I drew up. I actually had two made, from two different makers from two different steels so I could compare them. The top edge is very sharp as well. It could be used for notching, chopping, skinning.
Steel on this one is 1/4 inch 1095. Width of the blade is
2 1/2 inches with a 10 1/2 inch overall length
DSC_0001_02.jpg

DSC_0002_03.jpg

DSC_0005_04.jpg

This one is from our own Bryan Breeden in 1/4 inch O1. This one is on its way to me:D
Mydesignsheath.jpg

101_1815.jpg

And I will also give a vote for this one from PML. It is 5/16 inch thick CPM3V.
2-14-09019.jpg

2-14-09018.jpg

I love the first one and second one looks kinda neat as well, the handle on the second one looks huge though !!!!!:eek:

It is thick, which is what I wanted. My hands are like bear paws unfortunately. I will let everyone know when it shows up. It is just nice seeing something I drew turn into a knife:thumbup:

survival butcher knife, 15" length, 6" handle, and 9" blade. Made 3/16" thick w/ scandi grind.

JC, those are both pretty dang cool designs, but that big one really gets my heart pumpin' :D:thumbup: I can't wait to see how they come out!

Thanks Walter. You make some pretty sweet big knives, so that is especially flattering coming from you:thumbup::D

Didn't want to see this thread go away quite yet. Had to dig 5 pages deep to find it. All I have left on mine is to finish the sheath and sharpen it. There should be pics coming this weekend, hopefully.
Donavon

The top one kinda reminds me of this knife that I drew a short time back.....

design-1.jpg

JUst as an open question, I never quite understood the point of a nessie design or any blade with lots of belly or even a hump. Actually I find knives with rounded bellies annoying when cutting and lets not talk about sharpening. What is the reasoning behind this type of design. I don't mind the looks I just wondered what the advantages are.

bodhi,

I find the belly useful for skinning. You don't have to rely exclusively on the tip if the knife has some belly to it.

On a larger knife, some belly allows you to rock the knife while mincing onions or the like.

A wider tip, as on a Nessie, is also useful for spreading things like peanut butter.

DancesWithKnives

bodhi,

I find the belly useful for skinning. You don't have to rely exclusively on the tip if the knife has some belly to it.

On a larger knife, some belly allows you to rock the knife while mincing onions or the like.

A wider tip, as on a Nessie, is also useful for spreading things like peanut butter.

DancesWithKnives

Thx for the answer, I've been looking at some nessies and sooner or later I'll buy one.

Back