1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

New ZT0562CF Won't Flip

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by exmaxima, May 2, 2015.

1. jeeper9010

jeeper9010

Dec 29, 2014
    Its amazing the excuses people give for poor quality control. These people are the same who would've bought a Ford Pinto and then defended it right until they were rear ended. The brand loyalty thing I just don't get, what happened to wanting a working get you paid for product? Is this really the state of our country where mediocrity is the standard? Don't answer...I've already read enough replies to know.

2. Bludgeon

Bludgeon

Dec 28, 2014
    It seems people repeatedly purchase automobiles, find all the defects and return the auto for repairs. This is an expected and accepted practice for a high percentage if not all new auto sales. Let the same practice happen on a knife and the snobs come to life.

3. bodog

bodog Banned BANNED

Dec 15, 2013
    I don't know if that's a serious post or not. I've never bought a car and expected there to be problems where I'd have to immediately put it in the shop for weeks just to fix some stuff that should've been good from the factory. Is that really expected by most people? Because I don't. If your post was sarcastic, then disregard.

And to be fair, there are many, many more moving parts outsourced to different manufacturers on a car. A knife really is a piece of metal attached to pieces of plastic or other metal with a metal pin. Nowhere nearly as complex as a car. I'm still trying to figure out if you're being serious.

4. kniferbro

kniferbro Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 22, 2011
    My ZT framelocks close easily with one hand...

Until I actually use them to cut anything moderately hard. I think that's the point BB is making. They perform very well at flipping and fondling, but once you start using the knife the issues (read: poor lock geometry) become aparent.

I'm just coming off a long ZT bender, so I obviously like the knives. Dabbling in my previous loves and realizing these issues with ZT though...

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  5. poolhustler

poolhustler Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Its called life, apparently you can't deal with it. This happens with all kinds of merchandise and products, not just knives. You take the very vocal and very few people here who have had issues and blow it way out of proportion. Considering the thousands of knives they sell each week, I will bet you money that the percentage of knives that actually have issues is very low. I have bought many knives that have had issues from other makers and have either fixed the issue myself, returned it for repair or just returned it for refund. Its really not that hard and not nearly life threatening as YOU make it sound....

6. bad_juju

bad_juju Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Knives, They're so easy anyone can do it! :rolleyes:

7. bodog

bodog Banned BANNED

Dec 15, 2013
    Hey now, don't go thinking I said that. But yeah, I think more people can make a good knife than a good car. If you can show me 1,000 people in the US that can take raw materials and transform those raw materials into a car in their backyard and garage, then I'll concede that point. You and I both know that there are 1,000 people in the US who can turn out a functional knife.

8. GronK

GronK Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 1, 2001
    You apologists are shooting yourself in the foot. As long as there are plenty of uncritical supporters around they have no incentive to improve their game.

9. asdf12345

asdf12345

Jul 4, 2014
    Very few?

That's just from one thread, from the past 12 hours.

To which the responses inevitably consisted of..

Fine and all, but I'm having trouble believing the praise for ZT customer service due to the people who needed multiple trips to have issues fixed, often issues that should have been caught by QC in the first place.

Another case of the "very vocal and very few"?

10. BellaBlades

BellaBlades Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2013
    Agreed, they make so many knives it is rare, I have knowledge they have over half dozen guys testing these out before they ship. lock testing included. you cannot make a flipper frame lick perfect for everyone. there are too many variables. I think they do a great job at blending everybody's needs together.
    lunch break over. hottest day this year at 78. And a 15 hour shift and counting.

11. poolhustler

Jun 17, 2011
    yes !!!!!!

12. bobpoptart

bobpoptart

Jan 22, 2008
    Some ppl leave ZT but can't leave it alone. Well, that and ppl always have to take a shot at #1.

13. Scurvy092

Scurvy092

Jan 31, 2012
    I love the righteous indignation of people posting literally a handful of complaints.

I guess if zt made 1000 knives/yr then a few dozen complaints would be cause for alarm.

How many knives do you think ZT makes a year? Considering they've made over 1000 knives just between the 2 0392 variants and the 0801s110v.

14. asdf12345

asdf12345

Jul 4, 2014
    The posts concerning problems with brand new knives I quoted are only from this particular thread, and only from the last twelve hours.

Bladeforums members only represent a fraction of people who purchase and own ZT knives. The people who posted in this particular thread over the last 12 hours only represent a fraction of Bladeforums members who have had issues with ZT knives.

And as with any other brand, I'm not inclined to believe that dumb luck and flukes just happened to put all the faulty knives in the hands of a few complainers and no one else.

15. alphatiger

alphatiger Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 8, 2014
    I got lucky and found my 0562cf on a tactical gear site and the detent on that was super tight. It just takes about a month, I used my work gloves at one point would just do 10 - 50 flips while I was pondering the world and found it therapeutic. My 0392BWBRZ was even tighter, and has taken twice as long to become usable without work gloves or pain in the joints. I don't know. My Benchmades open like butter in comparison. In my opinion, especially at these price points they should just work, no adjustments, gloves or multi-month breakins. It's a knife, not a car engine.

16. poolhustler

Jun 17, 2011
    BF members represent a tiny tiny fraction of people who purchase KAI/ZT products and they are the most vocal, you do realize that don't you???

17. exmaxima

exmaxima

Jan 30, 2006
    Some people get a lobotomy, lose all passion for anything, and call that a life....

18. Blues Bender

Blues Bender Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Glad to know that we can speak like adults here:thumbup:

I can guarantee that you wouldn't be speaking in the same tone and mannerism if all of us were discussing this in person. It's funny how some people automatically put on the "internet tough-guy persona" from being butthurt because someone disagrees with you:rolleyes:

My life is great btw, thank you very much... I've traveled over 20 states, I'm planning on buying a new house soon, I'm getting a new car soon, I have 3+ customs being made for me at the moment, I'm a proud uncle, the right-hand man of a construction company, the list goes on... You really seem to have no life to make such an assumption towards people:) Perhaps you're so angry because you've been buying ZT's for too long;):thumbup:

19. RBid

RBid

Apr 6, 2014
    I'm 3 for 3 (0550, 0566, 0562) having great experiences using ZT framelocks. No lock issues of any kind. Cardboard, plastic, wood, etc. Hammer grip or even chopping with a two finger + fob grip. Not one issue.

It is best to make "in my experience" statements, instead of broad "they do ___" statements. Mine don't have the problems you're describing.

20. asdf12345

asdf12345

Jul 4, 2014
    Having a certain amount of problems in a small sample size is likely to correlate to a similar proportion of problems in the bigger picture. You're correct, BF members likely represent a tiny fraction of people who purchase KAI/ZT products. That should be cause for concern as it calls into question exactly how many more knives with problems are out there. You're also correct that BF members are probably the most vocal, which again is a cause for concern as that suggests that a lot of people who had issues with their knives don't talk about it.

Yes, I have no concrete proof that this is the case (and nor does anyone else), but neither do you have proof that it isn't the case (and nor does anyone else). And again, I'm not inclined to believe that dumb luck and flukes just happened to put all the faulty knives in the hands of a few complainers on BF and no one else.