• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Seller beware - Extrabaconplease - Luke Oudy

Status
Not open for further replies.
BenR.T. BenR.T.

Just wondering, I have never seen you state a return policy, I have looked on your Sub and website, but do you offer some kind of 100% buyback if the customer is unhappy with the purchase?

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
If the customer isn't happy, they can let me know as soon as they receive it (not weeks later) and I will refund the cost of the knife. They of course are responsible for all shipping charges.

If the customer isn't happy, they can let me know as soon as they receive it (not weeks later) and I will refund the cost of the knife. They of course are responsible for all shipping charges.
Perfectly reasonable.

What is not so reasonable is wanting your money back on a regret purchase. That is tire-kicking with other people's property. And then, after stomping your feet and you don't get your way, lying about the condition of the item to paypal to get your money back. Extrabacon was essentially acting like a spoiled child, which he basically is at the age of 20. I mean, look at the fantastic display of maturity when he melted down in his earlier GB&U thread.

Thanks for the info Ben.

I’ve had sellers upon a final inspection at my request identify issues that they weren’t even aware of in thier sale post. I’m also guilty of taking weeks to really handle a new knife that comes in when I’m busy. As a matter of fact I have 3 that are waiting for a day off work so I can examine them.

Thought it would be quite possible he got it, didn’t like it, took some pics and put it up for sale, perhaps a buyer requested an inspection and he found an issue like staining, then pulled the sale post and asked for a refund.

Thought it would be quite possible he got it, didn’t like it, took some pics and put it up for sale, perhaps a buyer requested an inspection and he found an issue like staining, then pulled the sale post and asked for a refund.
Having seen his posts from order, receipt, and subsequent sales threads... that didn't seem to be the case. Now, maybe - just MAYBE - he wasn't as thrilled with the knife as he'd indicated...and the sale was not actually because he needed the funds; but why not just be honest about it? I think most of us have not felt the love for a knife we'd purchased. We realize that, take the hit on resale if we have to, and move on - the loss being the cost of trying new knives - OR we put the knife away for a while to reconsider at another time (possibly forgetting about it for a while).

If we receive a commissioned knife and find something wrong with it - say, for example, a stain - we contact the maker about the problem and ask that it be made right. Most craftsmen want their customers to be happy; and correcting mistakes/oversights is part of doing good business.

Having seen his posts from order, receipt, and subsequent sales threads... that didn't seem to be the case. Now, maybe - just MAYBE - he wasn't as thrilled with the knife as he'd indicated...and the sale was not actually because he needed the funds; but why not just be honest about it? I think most of us have not felt the love for a knife we'd purchased. We realize that, take the hit on resale if we have to, and move on - the loss being the cost of trying new knives - OR we put the knife away for a while to reconsider at another time (possibly forgetting about it for a while).

If we receive a commissioned knife and find something wrong with it - say, for example, a stain - we contact the maker about the problem and ask that it be made right. Most craftsmen want their customers to be happy; and correcting mistakes/oversights is part of doing good business.

Totally understand. If it was a stain, I would think he would come back immediately and say there is a stain. Not give me a refund I need money.

But Ben said he just bought something, which indicats not needing money, unless he needed money to pay for what he bought.

It’s a mystery!

It’s a mystery!

No mystery at all.

Ben said he received the Vorpal on Sept.20th, on the 21st ExtraBaconPlease listed the Vorpal for sale for $700 stating the knife had been handled by him but was brand new, no mention of staining.

When it didn't sell he withdrew it and relisted it again with a lightly used Carothers Field Knife on Sept.23rd ( which is a 14 day relist violation on the Vorpal by the way ) for $1200, again stating that the Vorpal had been handled by him but was brand new and again no mention of staining.

Again it didn't sell, so once more he listed it for sale on Oct. 7th for $500 and again stating handled by him but brand new and once more no mention of staining.

He couldn't sell the knife and resorted to lying to PayPal in hopes that he can recover his money through a claim... as I said when I banned him, as far as I'm concerned what he's doing to Ben is nothing more than attempted theft by deception.

I'm pretty sure he referenced needing the money in his ads, citing that need as the reason for sale.

He must have needed the money to pay for the Busse Hognose War Sword that he purchased of the Exchange this past Thursday.

No mystery at all.

Ben said he received the Vorpal on Sept.20th, on the 21st ExtraBaconPlease listed the Vorpal for sale for $700 stating the knife had been handled by him but was brand new, no mention of staining.

When it didn't sell he withdrew it and relisted it again with a lightly used Carothers Field Knife on Sept.23rd ( which is a 14 day relist violation on the Vorpal by the way ) for $1200, again stating that the Vorpal had been handled by him but was brand new and again no mention of staining.

Again it didn't sell, so once more he listed it for sale on Oct. 7th for $500 and again stating handled by him but brand new and once more no mention of staining.

He couldn't sell the knife and resorted to lying to PayPal in hopes that he can recover his money through a claim... as I said when I banned him, as far as I'm concerned what he's doing to Ben is nothing more than attempted theft by deception.

He must have needed the money to pay for the Busse Hognose War Sword that he purchased of the Exchange this past Thursday.

There are also possibilities:

EBP, may have contacted his credit card issuer (if he had used a CC and a bank card to fund the Vorpal's purchase) and then card issuer notified PayPal of a chargeback. There are quite a few nuances when a seller is faced with a PayPal claim. This would have been a very harebrained and unwise way of freeing up some spending limit on that CC to finance the purchase of that Hognose war sword, if his credit limit was already right at the limit.

It could also be very possible that he was using someone else's credit card (Mom, Dad, Uncle, Friend, etc) or was a secondary cardholder on someone else's account who looked at the statement, did not recognized the charge(s) and contacted the bank!!!

I know that EBP was perceived by most, including your truly, as a flipper but IMHO he was a flipper in terms of freeing up funds to finance the next knife chase rather than profiteering out of his purchases as his sole motivation. None of these explanations are meant to exonerate Bacon or gloss over his callous actions, but as said, there are other explanation and none are good!

Thanks for the info Ben.

I’ve had sellers upon a final inspection at my request identify issues that they weren’t even aware of in thier sale post. I’m also guilty of taking weeks to really handle a new knife that comes in when I’m busy. As a matter of fact I have 3 that are waiting for a day off work so I can examine them.

Justin, as you know I sell a lot of stuff (unrelated to knives) online. I offer a 30 day return policy but I have had people contacting me in the past to return something after the 30 days from receiving their items. Heck, I have had folks contacting me 3, 4 and someone 8 months after they had received their darn item. As a seller, it p*sses me off to no end when they say that they were just too busy to inspect / tryout the merchandise. Just FYI.

I will admit to sometimes not adequately inspecting things within an "appropriate" time period after receipt...but, in those instances, when I HAVE found something wrong, I've always considered it to be MY PROBLEM. (I might notify the seller to make them aware, depending on the nature of the issue; but as a courtesy, not a complaint)

The first thing I do is inspect an item that I have purchased. Only then, it positive feedback left. I don't think it's right to wait days and weeks to find a boo boo and then make a complaint about it. It's up to you as a buyer to let the seller know that what you bought, is what you bought.

The first thing I do is inspect an item that I have purchased. Only then, it positive feedback left. I don't think it's right to wait days and weeks to find a boo boo and then make a complaint about it. It's up to you as a buyer to let the seller know that what you bought, is what you bought.

If I’m worried about where it’s from I normally do, but if my outcome is to keep it regardless or send it to another party for modding, or not particularly expensive I don’t bother. Lately I’ve been working crazy hours, sometimes only home for 2.5 hours in the wee hours of the morning before I go back to work so I just don’t get around to it. Agree it’s my problem at that point.

Sucks all around.

He never told me it had stains or that he was unhappy. There were many personal messages between me and him where he all but begged me to buy it back because he was so desperate for money. The money was supposedly for personal issues I won't share.

But not one time did he say to me "the knife has stains" or "I am not happy with it". Until I received a claim through paypal from him, stating the knife had stains and he wanted a full refund. It wasn't a credit card chargeback, he knew exactly what he was doing.

He just kept asking me to buy it back and resell it.

I am pretty understanding, if there is an issue with a knife, that is my fault; I will do my best to make it right.
But I certainly can't refund everyone's money when they get buyers remorse (which this is the only time I have been expected too).

You won't find negative feedback anywhere about my customer service. Because I want my customers to be happy.

Hopefully Paypal takes care of it. I certainly gave them all of the evidence. But even if they rule in his favor, I at least wanted to save you guys the headache of this possibly happening to you as well.

....... yep this 100%. When I use a proxy in the US I will generally have them open and check the blade on receipt and let me know it is all OK, if that is not possible it is on me from that point. I will not leave a seller swinging in the breeze because I can't make it happen.

He never told me it had stains or that he was unhappy. There were many personal messages between me and him where he all but begged me to buy it back because he was so desperate for money. The money was supposedly for personal issues I won't share.

But not one time did he say to me "the knife has stains" or "I am not happy with it". Until I received a claim through paypal from him, stating the knife had stains and he wanted a full refund. It wasn't a credit card chargeback, he knew exactly what he was doing.

He just kept asking me to buy it back and resell it.

I am pretty understanding, if there is an issue with a knife, that is my fault; I will do my best to make it right.
But I certainly can't refund everyone's money when they get buyers remorse (which this is the only time I have been expected too).

You won't find negative feedback anywhere about my customer service. Because I want my customers to be happy.

Hopefully Paypal takes care of it. I certainly gave them all of the evidence. But even if they rule in his favor, I at least wanted to save you guys the headache of this possibly happening to you as well.
And to add, whatever his personal issues are for needing the money, he was still buying other knives while telling you he needed you to buy the knife back.

Sounds like just plain buyers remorse to me.
As stated, he decided to sell it, found out it didn't go for anywhere near what he paid, tried to get Ben to accept it back and refund his purchase price, and then he concocted this BS paypal claim to get back what he paid. Seems he tried to do the right thing at first; but when that did not work he went off the rails. Kind of fits his past behavior - you never know when he is going to go off the deep end.

I would like to say that I have purchased and ordered several pieces from Ben and he is a consummate professional and an absolute gentleman to deal with. All my pieces were flawless and perfect.

I considered buying this piece but I did not want to deal with shipping from Australia. Thank heaven I passed.
This is a clear case of a scam artist trying to put one over on Ben. No doubt after he got his refund the knife would be lost in return shipping.........:rolleyes:
What amazes me is that he thought he could get away with it. To ruin your rep over a lousy $400-00........unbelievable.

Ben.....I hope that this is resolved quickly and in your favour.:thumbsup:

There are also possibilities:

It could also be very possible that he was using someone else's credit card (Mom, Dad, Uncle, Friend, etc) or was a secondary cardholder on someone else's account who looked at the statement, did not recognized the charge(s) and contacted the bank!!!

do you recall him mentioning in our favourite subforum how his parents were well off, yet he'd never ever ask them for financial support? If he has so much pride that he'd rather try and rip off a knife maker, (who feeds his family by the sweat of his brow) than ask for some financial support from his own, well off family, then it's hard to imagine the quoted scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back