• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Strider Knives, Game Over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there Doc. Much as I'm sure you'll find private support for your train of thought lets not start that cross forum war off huh?

Please refrain from further comments like these folks. Infractions are going to fly if more of these take off in this thread.

STR

SRT, I'd love to. But it IS a cross forum war already, considering where the strider supporters (who make the most annoying posts here) come from and what their real intentions are. I don't see how we could get around it. We could simply ignore it, but it would still be there no matter what.

Open question to anyone: why do you think there are real deal, respected knife makers and real deal professional soldiers supporting Mick and Duane? Is there something we don't know? Something not known publicly?

Among the supporters: Kit Carson, Tom Mayo, Bill Harsey, Pat Rogers, Jerry Hossom, Neil Ostroff, Ryan Johnson, numerous verified special operations soldiers from several discussion forums,...

Look at the these names. Think about the Soldiers, Sailors and Marines. These are not just anybody. These are very important figures in knives, big names in knifemaking and knifedealing and others in the special operations scene. They talk the talk, walk the walk. They know the deal. Why do they support Mick and Duane?

Yes, I know I'm going to get flak for posting this but I am genuinely interested in what people think!

(To make things clear, yes, I'm a Mick and Duane supporter that's no secret. I'm also a active duty soldier. How complicated. Does all this make me a tool, poser, sucker and biased in my posting?)

Thanks, Dan

Hi Dan.

Personally I hope you don't get flak for posting. There is nothing wrong with your post at all and I fully understand your view point. We were talking briefly about this a few pages back where I commented then also.

I can't speak for the individuals you mention. No one can. I have spoken with some of them and know they are loyal to their Brother Mick but I have not spoken with them about this issue surrounding Duane.

I find it hard to believe that any vet would support making up a false history of your military training or time in service. I find it hard to believe they'd condone lies about rank, birthdates, or other such things like Mick's crimes where he paid for it in a federal pen. With that said perhaps we need to draw a distinction between what they support and what they don't.

I believe they support Mick and Duane but perhaps its the knife makers supporting knife makers kind of support and not so much full support of the actions or claims as well.

For example, lets look at the music industry. Many song writers and musicians do not support Micahel Jackson and his apparent attraction to young boys or his habits of having them for overnight stays in his bed but they do support and even join him in collaborations on his music because they do support that and even listen to it as do fans.

STR

Hey hotrod, I guess you have an account at the USN. Have you collected enough reputation points with your distractions and word twisting here at bladeforums? What "rank" do you have there? Did your dozens of posts in this thread bring you a promotion yet? Citizen? Accomplice? Expert? Maybe Suspect?
Of course you don't know what I'm talking about... :rolleyes:

I'm not on that site. I'm just a paying member here, unlike yourself. If Bladeforums had a ranking system however, I would rank you a TOOL.:thumbup:

PatriotDan, are you "absolutely sure" that active duty special ops folks are "currently" in the know about the Strider guys situation and still "endorse" them? I find that hard to believe. One of the most sacred things in the whole military experience is representing yourself exactly and visiting "death and destruction" on those who don't! As a commander, I once found one of my soldiers wearing an ARCOM he was not entitled to. On another occasion, as I was transferring to Germany, while on the plane over the ocean, I came across another soldier from my former unit. He was wearing a divisional patch on his right shoulder – from a division I know he had never been in during combat. Others around didn't know them so didn't question them. I corrected them.

So, unless you have more than a sweeping generality that the leadership and rank and file guys in, say the 75th Ranger Reg. know these two guys lied, and are wholly accepting of it, I'm calling "no joy".

Sir, Thank you for your comment.

I did not comment on the special operations community as a whole because you're not likely to get such an opinion out. Not in a sense that it would make any sense anyway. If a Ranger Coy shout at me in unison that they supported Mick and Duane I would shout back:"Who told you to say that?". The special operations community is full of individual opinions regarding pretty much anything and the regular Ranger for sure doesn't even know who Mick or Duane is or that Strider Knives are something special from all the other knives. I know this for a fact. Same goes for most levels of the special operations so unified opinions on anything you are not likely to get. What I commented on and what does count are the people within the Army, Navy and the Marine Corps community that are present and express their opinions publicly. That is what I based my comment on. There are verified people that have trust in Mick and Duane. I have not seen anything regarding Duane on other forums so it's hard to tell what the deal is. This information certainly came to me as a surprise.

STR, thank you for your comment.

PatriotDan, are you "absolutely sure" that active duty special ops folks are "currently" in the know about the Strider guys situation and still "endorse" them? I find that hard to believe. One of the most sacred things in the whole military experience is representing yourself exactly and visiting "death and destruction" on those who don't! As a commander, I once found one of my soldiers wearing an ARCOM he was not entitled to. On another occasion, as I was transferring to Germany, while on the plane over the ocean, I came across another soldier from my former unit. He was wearing a divisional patch on his right shoulder – from a division I know he had never been in during combat. Others around didn't know them so didn't question them. I corrected them.

So, unless you have more than a sweeping generality that the leadership and rank and file guys in, say the 75th Ranger Reg. know these two guys lied, and are wholly accepting of it, I'm calling "no joy".

Open question to anyone: why do you think there are real deal, respected knife makers and real deal professional soldiers supporting Mick and Duane? Is there something we don't know? Something not known publicly?

Among the supporters: Kit Carson, Tom Mayo, Bill Harsey, Pat Rogers, Jerry Hossom, Neil Ostroff, Ryan Johnson, numerous verified special operations soldiers from several discussion forums,...

Look at the these names. Think about the Soldiers, Sailors and Marines. These are not just anybody. These are very important figures in knives, big names in knifemaking and knifedealing and others in the special operations scene. They talk the talk, walk the walk. They know the deal. Why do they support Mick and Duane?

Yes, I know I'm going to get flak for posting this but I am genuinely interested in what people think!

(To make things clear, yes, I'm a Mick and Duane supporter that's no secret. I'm also a active duty soldier. How complicated. Does all this make me a tool, poser, sucker and biased in my posting?)

Thanks, Dan

Dan,
I don't think you deserve any flak for your post. It sounds sincere to me, it asks a legitimate question (one which I posed several pages ago), and it was delivered without insults or disrespect. I only wish that more contributors here were capable of something similar.

That being said, prior to his departure from this thread, I was going to address a post directly to Hotrodkelley in the hopes of making it easier for him to understand why military folks take such a dim view of people who have falsified their military records. I can only assume he missed STR's heartfelt post on the subject (post #158). How one could read that, and not be able to connect on a personal level with the sentiments being offered, is difficult for me to comprehend. It has to be said, though, that the people who really do accomplish the things Mick and Duane have apparently claimed to do, endure great hardship and sacrifice to earn the right to call themselves Force Recon, Scout Sniper, SEAL, or even Combat Infantryman. In many cases, this sacrifice is one that is shared by wives, children and, in STR's case, parents. And beyond that, to complete your training, earn your qualification, and then go on to actually engage the enemy in combat operations in the defense of your country only compounds the hardship and sacrifice that all of the aforementioned are forced to endure. People who have served honorably understand and respect the commitment that is required to achieve such things and most, therefor, get justifiably upset when they see others who haven't earned that right attempt to wear the mantle. And please note my use of the word "upset" and what it connotes. For some folks you could probably legitimately put words like "outraged" or "incensed" in its place. But, please refrain from accusing us of being "traumatized" or "devastated" by such incidents in the insulting manner that Hotrodkelley has. There is a huge difference between the two.

It's also important to understand the following - assuming the evidence that has been presented with regards to the embellishing of military service is credible, Mick and Duane's situation is made even worse in the minds of military folks by the apparent fact that:

1) They did so in the pursuit of personal financial gain,

2) They have used their tales of military service to influence and/or ingratiate themselves with other legitimate military members of the SpecOp community,

3) They continue this activity even to the present. Despite having already been outed, the charade persists and the "story" is ever changing as additional facts become known, and most importantly,

4) They are conspiring to convince our troops that the troops can trust their lives to the tools Strider Knives produces because the knowledge and experience that Mick and Duane themselves gained in similar combat situations has been drawn upon to create the products they are using.

Seeing as you have some military service yourself, I'd be curious to know how you personally feel about such behavior. Now, you can say, well there are hundreds of troops around the globe using Strider knives and they do work as advertised, so what's the big deal? It's a fair question, and I'll address it in a moment. But consider that in many ways what we have is almost analogous to the guy who goes around preparing people's taxes while claiming to be a CPA when, in fact, he really isn't. Should he be absolved of his fraud simply because you didn't happen to get audited that year? ;)

But, to the bigger question, why am I even wasting my time in the midst of this discussion in the first place? For the answer to that, we must once again look to this passage:

Here's your answer, Dan. I suspect, but I don't know, that Mick and Duane have been good friends to the makers mentioned. I suspect, but I don't know, that Mick and Duane have helped other less well known individuals to succeed in this industry. I suspect, but I don't know, that Mick and Duane have been overly generous in distributing their products to members of our military in lower pay grades. I suspect, but I don't know, that Mick and Duane have been involved in other forms of charity that we haven't even heard of, and that they don't publicize. I suspect, but I don't know, that Mick and Duane have gone out of their way to help alleviate the suffering of the Simonich family.

Now, if we can assume for a moment that even any one of these is true, I think it would be an absolute tragedy if their ability to continue with these good works was somehow interrupted or destroyed. And in my estimation, the biggest obstacle to their continued beneficence is this giant albatross they have hanging around their necks that has been exposed by the POW Network and others. I'm not (finally, after all this time) getting involved in all this mess because I'm out for blood. I'm not a "hater" who wants to see Mick and Duane lose their business. Far from it. I'm involved because I want Mick and Duane to come clean once and for all and put an end to this "real operator" foolishness. I want them to renounce all the tall tales and secret squirrel bullshit that no longer serves any purpose. They make a good knife. Many troops like it and have been served well by it while in harm's way. It will continue to be a good knife regardless of whether or not Mick wants us to believe that he was really this close to smokin' skinnies in Mogadishu. Nobody gives a crap about that stuff except for wannabe mall ninjas who think it's "cool", and the real soldiers who see such stories as little more than a poke in the eye. The only thing these stories are good for at this point is to drive a wedge between the core Strider/USN devotees and the rest of the military and knife community. And that's a divide that seems ridiculous to me. In short, I want Mick and Duane to succeed so they can continue doing all of the great things that Kit Carson, Jerry Hossom, Tom Mayo and others respect them for doing.

But alas, I will be unable to support them so long as they persist in dishonoring our men and women in uniform who have made the ultimate sacrifice for this country.

Thank you for your reply Bronco, I appreciate your fair and wellthought answer. I am a strong believer in Christ so lying is simply wrong. What comes next is important. I have my reasons not to bash Mick and Duane. And my Belief in Christ and my Country and it's People is the drive behind my career if that matters any.

Seeing as you have some military service yourself, I'd be curious to know how you personally feel about such behavior. Now, you can say, well there are hundreds of troops around the globe using Strider knives and they do work as advertised, so what's the big deal?

Bronco,

That was a good post. Its obvious I am a Strider supporter. So I read your post for signs of a personal vendetta, weak logic, disregard for other opinions,
or self aggrandizing focus on the morals and behavior of others. To my surprise I found none of it and I can not fault any of your points. Perfect.

Yet I still support Strider Knives.

and

You still do not.

No matter how skillfully written your summary of the issue, no matter how compelling your call for understanding from both sides of the argument, this thread will at best remain pointless, at worst it will continue to fracture the community.

But by all means lets make the choice to keep doing it over and over again every few weeks or months. Maybe next time people will see the light or maybe the time after that.

Thanks, Dan

I am gonna go with sucker again.

Justabuyer - If you are worried about how this "fracture the community" I'd suggest you lay the blame not with the people who are ticked off about being lied to, but with the people who did the lying.

As for "doing it over and over again" that's again nobody's fault except the people who's lies keep getting found out. The last thread had statements such as this:
Hoever, something many people don't know and others have obscured in this discussion, Strider Knives isn't all about Mick. Duane Dwyer was a for sure Marine Scout Sniper with an impressive kill count.

Nyeti posted on another site:
Many folks confuse Mick with Duane Dwyer, the co-owner of Strider knives. He is a confirmed former USMC Scout/Sniper (he has also been accused of being a fake and felon by the same crowd, I guess they always allow fakes to give speeches at S/S graduations). Duane is also a reserve Police Officer and serves on a SRT unit (we always give ex-felons badges). He also has experience outside of normal military service. Duane does far more shows and appearances than Mick. He is actually the one most have seen or spoken to at events, and he is very proud of his USMC background and loves to talk. The guy at the table drinking beer and claiming to be a marine Sniper is in fact Duane and not Mick for all the internet know it alls.
Now POWNetwork.org says that Duane Dwyer / Poland wasn't even a sniper, much less with combat kills. So it's not like there hasn't been a bunch of misinformation being repeated over and over again.

You, specifically, tried laying the blame for this mess on me by complaining that I was somehow damaging the value of your investments when I had nothing to do with this.

If you don't like how this topic keeps coming up, why do you keep making it involve more people and drag it out as long as possible?

I was going to address a post directly to Hotrodkelley in the hopes of making it easier for him to understand why military folks take such a dim view of people who have falsified their military records.

But alas, I will be unable to support them so long as they persist in dishonoring our men and women in uniform who have made the ultimate sacrifice for this country.

I have already stated, that if what Strider has done is so shameful, and Spark and you and others are this upset with these facts, then why aren't they in the Hall of Shame? Why?

But by all means lets make the choice to keep doing it over and over again every few weeks or months. Maybe next time people will see the light or maybe the time after that.

I dunno. Are there more stories to fall apart on examination? Enough to have a new exposé every few weeks or months? For how long? I don't think that can work ... unless they keep thinking up new stories to tell every few weeks or months....

I have already stated, that if what Strider has done is so shameful, and Spark and you and others are this upset with these facts, then why aren't they in the Hall of Shame? Why?

I don't think you understand the concept behind the Hall of Shame forum. Or are you going to ask me why Bush isn't in the Hall of Shame as well?

Does Strider not qualify to be in the Hall of Shame? Whats the requirement to be in that section? I'm asking.

Bronco. I applaud your last post. It covers my feelings exactly.

I do not know what light we are supposed to see that comes on for some of the others in this thread. I believe some attribute the powers of one sub forum on a main forum of many as much farther reaching than they really are.

Discussing this here has little effect on what occurs outside of right here with those involved.

I still get the impression that the solution to all problems is to just sweep it under the rug, or hush anyone bringing up something a majority or even a powerful minority does not want to hear and this is all that is needed to make all right with themselves.

I do not agree with this way of thinking anymore than I have ever agreed that masking symtoms to a disease cures the disease. Its for this reason my wife an I ended up working in the dental field. At least there when a cavity is found we eliminate the cause and heal the problem. We don't mask over it or give you a pill to make you feel better so you forget there is a big hole in your tooth! When that is done its to eliminate infection first then treat the cause of the problem and eliminate it. This is the only way to cure something or heal it. You don't keep covering it up so you can't see it!

POWnetwork.org got back to me after I wrote them the following:

"A lot of talk is going on currently regarding this topic of Duane Dywer's recent addition to your Phonies & Wannabees section.

There are some that question if this is really the same Duane Dwyer due to birth date differences and this has come up repeatedly.

I'm sure you would know before publishing such a thing, but out of curiousity how do we know you didn't find another Dwyer/Poland individual? "

I do not feel comfortable posting their exact words in full publically to me that were private even though I am sure they would say the exact same thing to anyone that asks but for whatever its worth, they are not mistaken. I'll paraphrase the reply below. The basics of the reply are:

No effort from Duane has come forward to dispute their findings. They filed a request for information based on his service number. (social security number)

Claims of two not just one tour of duty both as a Staff Sgt and a sniper in the early 80s could not be verified and date of birth of Aug 1961 is apparently incorrect as well and is actually Oct of 1960 or thought to be possible I don't really know what to make of that. POWNetwork knows previous addresses, place of birth, mother's name and more and all shows it is the individual we know as Duane Dywer. I could go on but thats the basics.

STR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back