• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Survive! Deserves A Permanent Post In The Hall Of Shame

So all of you guys still waiting prefer to wait it out rather than just get your money back and buy one on the secondary because you just HAVE TO HAVE one of these?
I don’t understand why some would buy on the secondary market.

Can you imagine if you have a warranty issue… how long would it take to have a chipped or broken blade fixed or replaced, that’s provided they didn’t blame the user for the issue and deny the claim.

Given Survives well established and earned reputation, I’d trust their warranty about as much as their meeting delivery dates.

Moving to Texas, nothing more than another excuse to justify failure to deliver.

Yeah, I get what you are saying and don't disagree at all. But on the other hand, with a fixed blade your possible issues are much less than with a folder.
Don't get me wrong, I'm with you as far as not supporting a company that can't manage to make good on fulfilling orders, but on the other hand if you are using the knife as intended, there's not a whole lot likely to happen with a fixed blade.

This also makes me think again why they can't manage to get fixed blades out the door a lot quicker. If it was a single bladesmith working alone in a small shop, there's no reason why they couldn't get at least one knife out the door every day if they are doing things assembly line style.
Anyway, good point.

Can you imagine if you have a warranty issue… how long would it take to have a chipped or broken blade fixed or replaced, that’s provided they didn’t blame the user for the issue and deny the claim.

Exactly right and they've already proven it.

There was a guy who sent a knife back with a possible bad heat treat or something? They kept the knife and put him on the waiting list. Never heard back on the resolution if any.

It was Macchina Macchina

They jerked him around on a 4.7 with issues. I don't know if he ever got a replacement but even if he did the service was completely unacceptable.

So all of you guys still waiting prefer to wait it out rather than just get your money back and buy one on the secondary because you just HAVE TO HAVE one of these?
3V is nice steel but in the last 5 years there have been lots of new options that seem to be equal to or better. And the design is nothing special. I can think of a half dozen knives off the top of my head that share similar designs.
What's up with this? Is it just the fact that you have been waiting so long that it's the principle of the thing at this point?
Pretty much. That’s why I ordered direct. I had read this thread and knew how they were. I contacted them before ordering about a 3.5. They told me they would be doing a run “soon” and told me production was going to be faster no more delays yadayadayada… I constantly checked their site until I saw ordering open up (October 2020) It had a check box disclaiming a 60 day wait.

I said fuck it and ordered. Before the 60 days was up the millit split happened. 60 days came and went. I contacted them about 70 days after I ordered. They replied saying my knife would ship in two weeks.

It did not ship until a few weeks ago. There were lots of delays and excuses in between that time. To many to list. But it’s pretty much verbatim of what others have experienced in this thread over the years.

Bottom line. I wanted a brand new 3.5 for $199 not a second or used one for anywhere between. $200-$300 off the bay or forum. I am not happy about the lies, half truths, excuses and getting a blade without the delta heat treat. But it is what it is in the end. It didn’t kill me and the $199 was spent 9 months ago. It’s not like I was freaking out wanting to spend it on something else.

I WILL NOT ORDER FROM THEM AGAIN.

I've seen a $279 GSO 4.7 go for close to $500 on Ebay. I recall there were 7 different bidders on the knife.

Supply and demand.

It looks like Survive! is starting to ramp up their producting and shipping, despite some difficult to believe timelines. There's definaltly a cult following and die hard fans (e.g me being a huge fan of their designs) but I'm not sure they'll have enough horse power to escape the event horizon of bad publicity they created. I'm wondering if they've had an uptick in pre-orders after their statement about getting all pre-orders out by Christmas, especially when you look at the order compleation rate they recently published.

Exactly right and they've already proven it.

It was Macchina Macchina

They jerked him around on a 4.7 with issues. I don't know if he ever got a replacement but even if he did the service was completely unacceptable.

That was me with the 4.7 that I sent in and though they said they could find nothing wrong with it they wanted to "keep it for testing" and replace it for me.
I finally received a replacement GSO 6 in May after almost 3 years!
It's a great knife, but holy cow what a painful process (and full of the typical timeline lies).

That was me with the 4.7 that I sent in and though they said they could find nothing wrong with it they wanted to "keep it for testing" and replace it for me.
I finally received a replacement GSO 6 in May after almost 3 years!
It's a great knife, but holy cow what a painful process (and full of the typical timeline lies).
Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't sell your 4.7 as a factory second to someone else... 3 years to get a warranty issue resolved :rolleyes:

I just don't get it. Their designs are nothing special and that doesn't matter anyway if they don't deliver a product. Yet people still appear to be lining up to get jollied along by these apparent crooks. Lining up at least one a minute...

I've never understood the allure of these overpriced utility grade knives. With their horrendous customer service, poor quality, and outright deceit, they are a roadmap for failure. Yet buyers still flock to take a chance on obtaining one, and thus keep this failing company alive.

3V is nice steel but in the last 5 years there have been lots of new options that seem to be equal to or better. And the design is nothing special. I can think of a half dozen knives off the top of my head that share similar designs.
What's up with this? Is it just the fact that you have been waiting so long that it's the principle of the thing at this point?
They bank on that feeling of time loss if I ask for a refund. People over the years have asked questions like will it be here before Christmas and if not I want my money back. Others say I invested years into the wait and when they ask for a follow up they get the generic answer we are working hard to get it to you it should not be too much longer so they wait too. They have copied the bad business practice of other failed people in business and used it to line their pockets.

Zbv4D9F.png

A 4.7 originally, but they changed the time frame on those. So I emailed about a month back and asked if they could change my order to a 3.5. They responded back in under a half hour and refunded the difference and said it would be shipped out in a couple weeks. I've read through this entire thread and understand why people are angry; my one and only dealing with them has been fine so far (minus the added 4-7+ month wait on my original order). I picked up a 4.1 from another user on here, so I didn't mind swapping down to the 3.5. Because of this thread I am now looking into getting a DEK1 though as well!
Glad you got something out of it but your statement was I ordered my knife and got it in 11 months is not factual as you got a different knife in that time frame. They just gave you something in the works they have now. The 4.7 was promised to be done along with all the other models by Christmas. Do you think if you waited to Dec 25 2021 that the 4.7 would be here? Once again I am happy that you are happy with the outcome. I asked for the knife they said was going to ship in 3 weeks time and 3 years later they were still on that model. A total of 5 years and 4 months time is what I would have been waiting on. They sold mine as a second and did so for the whole year only to take many more years to get around to making them again. I also order a 5.1 in May of 2016 and they are not even shipping or made yet. This is why I can't send them money ever again. They told me once they had some in shop ready to ship just place your order and wham the ad changed after they got more money. If you are looking for a good knife around the 5" size look at a fiddleback forge Duke. I have a GSO 5.0 and the FK2 from Nathan is a way better knife in every way. My AK Scout Knife from William Collins is a work of art and it is in AEB-L and I trust it more than Survive. I simply don't trust their heat treat or warranty and there use to be so many stories about them before they scrubbed FB and other sites of it. I think I will take my GSO 3.5 out from 2015 and beat it to hell and back to test it.

I've never understood the allure of these overpriced utility grade knives. With their horrendous customer service, poor quality, and outright deceit, they are a roadmap for failure. Yet buyers still flock to take a chance on obtaining one, and thus keep this failing company alive.
I use to defend them to others and I wanted them to succeed to make all the customers happy. The lies and lies added up to the point I saw them as crooks and a crook will do anything or say anything to get over on you. I use to take it fishing but they were never that great at cleaning fish. I finally sharpened it over what they did just so it could slice paper without catching. They are a pry bar with an edge made to split wood and say hey now that's a knife other than that they do not excel in any area. I have an ESEE 5 that I think will do the same thing and came with a sharper edge and warranty. No matter their statement I just don't believe them anymore. Would I buy one if I saw it in a store "maybe" but this waiting 3 years or more is total garbage and they had fanbags defend the 3 year wait and I told them it would get longer not shorter and I was right. 6 years for the GSO 6 , 8, 10, 12, and 5.1 is too long.

Back