The "Whatever" Thread

My official JK precipitation measuring tool says we got some snow today.

dmjKSELl.jpg

3k6fQwTl.jpg

Looks like my deck. Southeast Michigan?

jeff

Yes sir. Supposedly, West Michigan got it even worse, which is where most of my family is and where I grew up. Lake effect snow was nice when I wanted to do snow sports, but made travel really annoying.

It’s 8 degrees outside (without the wind chill), and a balmy 26 degrees in the shop. My dogs don’t waste any time when I take them out!

It’s 8 degrees outside (without the wind chill), and a balmy 26 degrees in the shop. My dogs don’t waste any time when I take them out!

Ha, I had to drag my dog out last night and this morning too, even after digging out her winter jacket (short hair, staffordshire terror). I'm just glad she made it off the deck before she pees. Going to have to get a path shoveled for her.

it was 5 here this morning - 9 in town.
by 10 it was around 22 and felt pretty good in the sun when I was up on the roof talking to the HVAC guy.

I’ve been trying since Sunday, no response to several emails. I have one of his knives done, I better hold off on the others.

IMG_0320.JPG IMG_0318.JPG With some of the talking about French ball end knives that bikerector and I have been doing, I also found one that was in my boxes, it is made from a file and I cannot make out the writing who might be the maker. Just for fun.

View attachment 1231400 View attachment 1231399 With some of the talking about French ball end knives that bikerector and I have been doing, I also found one that was in my boxes, it is made from a file and I cannot make out the writing who might be the maker. Just for fun.

What's the blade length on that? It looks like a 6-7", assuming about a 4-5.5" handle. It looks really practical.

IMG_0321.JPG

It is put together a little crudely, but shows a working tool design. It is about 7.5 inches in blade length and just shy of a 5 inch handle.

View attachment 1231409

It is put together a little crudely, but shows a working tool design. It is about 7.5 inches in blade length and just shy of a 5 inch handle.

That is much bigger than I would've thought. Maybe my original 5" handle with 6" blade wasn't so far off. The only French trade knife, or one modeled after one, that I've seen specs for is the Jeff White one. I suppose there is a ton of grey area there on sizes and design, kind of like calling something a bowie knife.

The one above also has a blade thickness a little over 1/8, have not measured it, it could be 5/32 but with the clear hammer dents could have started at that. I also have a Jeff White slicer, not a ball end, that may be a little over 1/16, I think it is more of a slicer/carver style, all it needs is a fork to help slice the Thanksgiving turkey or ham. Yes, I do like turkey, but a good ham for Thanksgiving is good. Slice it up, put on some mustard or cranberry on a biscuit, now you are talking mmmm mmmm good.:D

The one above also has a blade thickness a little over 1/8, have not measured it, it could be 5/32 but with the clear hammer dents could have started at that. I also have a Jeff White slicer, not a ball end, that may be a little over 1/16, I think it is more of a slicer/carver style, all it needs is a fork to help slice the Thanksgiving turkey or ham. Yes, I do like turkey, but a good ham for Thanksgiving is good. Slice it up, put on some mustard or cranberry on a biscuit, now you are talking mmmm mmmm good.:D

I pick ham over turkey every time. I like to do honey on biscuits frequently, or just drown everything in sausage or some other peppery gravy.

1/16" is a thin blade for sure, great for kitchen duty and think that's what all of mine are now, with exception of the 3/32" clipped CBK I had John make. With the full-height grind though, it slices nearly as good as my thin kitchen knives while giving a little more comfort to press on the spine, which I seem to do frequently when making the initial cuts in potatoes and sweet potatoes (usually quarter them then diced).

I keep thinking I need to get one of those Jeff White French trade knives for testing and research purposes. I think I like the idea of a really long (6-8"), 1/8" thick blade when most at least jump to 3/16" at that length and add a fair amount of blade height to get the thinner edge.

I'm curious what you and John figure out. The Tool, seems like a good starting point. I will need to come out with something next year as I still like the idea of something with a longer edge that is really nimble, kind of going after the intent of a Buck 119 as an "all-purpose slicer" of sorts.

Back