What did you rehang today?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Irongun324, May 1, 2013.

1. jblyttle

jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    A good maul is an awesome tool. Of everything that have found and fixed last year, the tool that I actually used much more than any other was an 8lb sledge eye maul that I refinished. I have a couple of axe eye models and handles laying around waiting for me to get bored. Nice looking work daizee.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  2. cityofthesouth

cityofthesouth

Jan 29, 2014
    Spectacular! It looks like Locust makes a great handle based on the grain characteristics.

3. Agent_H

Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    This is a beautiful axe. They all are of course, but this is especially "shapely".

4. jblyttle

jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    Yes, it is an example of what this thread is all about.

5. cityofthesouth

cityofthesouth

Jan 29, 2014
    Thanks guys.

6. PWRstroke_smoke

PWRstroke_smoke

May 26, 2013
    Well they arent axes but they are all mainly late 1800's plumb blacksmith hammers
    they are YERKES & PLUMB and FAYETTE R. PLUMB CO. marked
    , and one champion DeArment 3lb ball peen, and a 10lb true temper sledge
    I have a bunch more to hang they were my grandfathers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. _RJ_

_RJ_

Dec 29, 2014
    Nice work

8. PWRstroke_smoke

PWRstroke_smoke

May 26, 2013
    Stilletto Ruger Titanium 14oz I love this hammer got it off craigslist for nothing and put a new handle in it with the original round wedge and it is a real workhorse

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. jblyttle

jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    A man after my own heart. I don't want to go find a hammer forum, and these are closer than cousins to out beloved edged tools. I'm very cool with people posting them here but would understand if anyone objected. If anyone does, we should have an Axe Forum sub-forum.

These are what I think of as the Klitschko brothers, Dr. Ironfist and Dr. Steelhammer. Brothers, because they share handles recreated from a single 36" dry grey 8lb sledge handle that had spent many years outside. I cut it in half and shaved dead wood until the good stuff was reached, and thinned them until they were good fits for these 3 and 4lb heads. These are 14.5" and 12" long.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    DanH45 likes this.
  10. Remzy

Remzy

Feb 7, 2015
    OMG that sledge on the far right, what a beast!

11. Irongun324

Irongun324

Mar 22, 2012
    Axes were definitely the original intent, but only out of ignorance. As far as I'm concerned, any rehanging work can hang it's hat here. We already have the full gamut of wood handled tools, why would we stop?

Besides, I'm pretty sure I read this thread more than anything else (on these forums, or elsewhere).

12. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    wow, didn't expect all the excitement over my proud maul hang. glad you guys like it. I've adjusted my technique over time, and so far I like doing it this way.

re: hammers
    you guys will get lots of ooh's and aah's over in shop talk if you post in front of all those 'smiths. :)

13. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
  14. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Looks great. Textbook hang. Perfectly seated on the shoulder.

15. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    That's a fine handle. Well done.

The masting axes I've seen were all sharpened with a double bevel. For those I would prefer a straight haft. But for a single bevel hewing axe a curved handle is better. I think the typical shape for a masting axe handle was something like this. Curved back to get the hands away form the work but straight in the plane of the axe.

[​IMG]

16. PWRstroke_smoke

PWRstroke_smoke

May 26, 2013
    very nice work I especially like the one on the left

17. jblyttle

jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of the heads I picked up yesterday plus a handle that I have been hanging on to. Blo'd and bees-waxed, new wedge.

18. Curt Hal

Curt Hal

Jul 8, 2014
    Nice work. Looks great!

19. tanglediver

tanglediver Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Slight difference in handle material, though I finished the rough-in today. One layer of clearcoat to keep the oxidation at bay is all I chose to give it. I am wrapping the 'D' handle now with 550 cord, I may also do the shaft if I have enough cord.

Edit: I had just enough cord! All done.
    [​IMG]

Original post thumbnails below.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  20. Hacked

Hacked

Jun 1, 2010
    [​IMG]

I forgot to post the double bit that I saved from being tossed out with the trash. Ignore the hatchet, the handle has some issues and I still haven't figured out what I plan to do with it.

Next up is an odd sized hatchet / boys axe that is being hafted on a 19" handle.