What did you rehang today?

[IMG[URL=http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/whopkins2601/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsgjpizkvm.jpg.html]

]http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u411/whopkins2601/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpshz5ladr3.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Good job on the hanging! I am not a fan of the shiney finish so i prefer your kelly one with its old character and I sorta kinda am gradually leaning toward not using metal wedge anymore when hanging an ax, leaving the option open for later if the head ever come lose, but thats just my personnal taste, your hanging is great.

Unfortunate location for the heartwood to be on the kelly tho, do try never to overstrike and hit that piece as i fear it might be more prone to crack or chip away than regular wood.

Thanks for the advice. I had not done much reading on selecting handles when I did that one.

I would not worry too much. The heel of the Jersey will act as a blocker, it will be hard to hit that spot on an overstrike anyway. I like the German hatchet, was it pretty rusty?

I would not worry too much. The heel of the Jersey will act as a blocker, it will be hard to hit that spot on an overstrike anyway.

Great excuse to run it as is then replace the handle if needed. That Jersey will outlast wood regardless. What would we call the pattern of the German head?

Thanks fellas.

City, is the black patina on that original or do you have a trick to develop black oxide?
It seems to just be how they come out. I reuse vinegar and it's frequently nasty, and when all the pores and pits in the head soak up BLO they look really dark.

748e61c5-a3ad-432a-9195-d53ed2eb8e7d_zpsfnswrhbq.jpg

Handcarved birch handle, continuing tomorrow!

I love that knife. I have and use a very serviceable Mora, but am on the verge of picking up a dedicated wood carver. I can't decide if I should buy one as is or buy the blade and make my own handle. Only thing stopping me is the roll your own option costs more. I like the handle on yours.

I have a soft spot for the underdog. I picked up this once rusted pitiful head for $3 in a box of other things that I grabbed. I could not make out a maker and there was enough rust to justify a few days in the vinegar. I liked the shape and it is a right handed offset hatchet head. I don't think that there even is a makers mark, and learned that it has both a forge welded bit but also a forge welded hardened poll. I needed to make this proud neglected thing a tool again. What you see is a hatchet that will now push cut paper and easily dry shave my arm hair on a $1 formally dirty yard sale replacement handle. Sanded, steel wooled, oiled and waxed, it is now a nice looking great user once more. Not a collectable beauty queen, but a proud little hatchet nonetheless. This is the one that I will attempt my first carved green handle with. It is 13.5" long and weighs 24 ounces.

JB, she is a little rough around the edges, but the bit looks keen and the hang is good.:thumbup:
She might turn out to be a favorite.

Looking good!
Does your claw hatchet have a pedigree? Is it beveled on both sides?

Interesting contrast between the two. Ones for hewing the line and the other is for carving.

Back