1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

What did you rehang today?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Irongun324, May 1, 2013.

1. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    crbnSteeladdict and jake pogg like this.
  2. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    Interesting choice of the handle: Is the poll hardened?
    I need some pointers: What is the difference between Dayton and Yankee patterns?

3. TJLyon711

TJLyon711 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2019
    Thanks! I'm not a very tall guy, just under 6 foot, I tend to favor the 27-31" handle length range on anything from 2# to 4# heads. I'm definitely not the pattern identifying master, this homestead could very well be a Dayton pattern. I imagine there being more of a sweep/flare to the toe and heel on Dayton's than this particular axe has, but I suppose it could just be from wear and use over time.

Edit: no I do not believe the poll is hardened on this axe, although I did not put a file to it. It has some slight mushrooming, suggesting it's not hardened, in my opinion.

4. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
  5. TJLyon711

TJLyon711 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2019
    Red Ridge! Yes that's what I saw the axes with similar bevels listed as in I believe a reproduction Sears Roebuck catalog. I looked at alot of catalogs that day, from 1896-1908 I believe.

Yankee Josh, Hairy Clipper and garry3 like this.
  6. JLRubicon

JLRubicon

Sep 3, 2019
    This handle was my first attempt at making my own handle out of an old broken axe handle. I decided against this handle for the hatchet head I bought off someone which had no handle. I just didn't like the shape and length and ended up making another. I saved this handle hoping I would be able to use it someday. I ended up purchasing a Marbles No.6 hatchet on eBay and the handle on it was not too good at all. I figured I would try to make one and ended up using my first timer handle. I cut it down and re shaped it a bit and it worked out pretty good. Definitely a bit of a pain with the Marbles eye shape. It took quite a bit of work to get it to fit properly. It is far from perfect, didn't quite fill in the eye completely and a little bit of space on the bottom but it is solid. I'll take it though, definitely more pride in knowing you made it yourself.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  7. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    Wow, great job! That takes a lot of patience to make your own handle for a marbles. Looks awesome! Great grain!

8. JLRubicon

JLRubicon

Sep 3, 2019
    Thanks a lot!! It was a bit of a challenge but very rewarding.

TJLyon711 and Meek1 like this.
  9. rockman0

rockman0 Basic Member Basic Member

May 5, 2013
    @Old Axeman I'm sure the first time I choked up on it and took a swing I would have made the decision you suggested, thinned it out a little more while I was at it. Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  10. FLINT77

FLINT77

Apr 8, 2013
    ☝️Huge improvement. Looks great!

11. rockman0

rockman0 Basic Member Basic Member

May 5, 2013
    Thanks

12. disduster

disduster Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Oct 18, 2007
    got a flying fox head from @FortyTwoBlades a couple weeks ago and hung it on a 24" council tool velvicut handle, nice slim handle. What a slick little axe. Swung it around on some blow downs today. Really impressed with this set-up, light as a feather but still packs a punch.
    Also put some micarta handle slabs on a old box hatchet i had laying around while i was doing some other production fixed blade re handles, cause you know why not.
    [​IMG]image by Ian Hockensmith, on Flickr

13. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    ^^^

Nice work on both!

Hairy Clipper and Yankee Josh like this.
  14. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    I chipped off a huge sliver on the back of the tongue while cutting a cross kerf to fill several wedge/nail holes. Originally i wanted to hang an old Bronson Townsend connie on it. The handle was from a Truper Collins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh well.
    I always try to salvage and reuse, even repurpose a good or fair, once solid handle when I can. For now the Bronson will sit here, in full glory...

[​IMG]

...what i did manage to do...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Collins
    Hudson Bay
    2½lbs
    22¼"

;)

15. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Got my hands on an unmarked, unfinished Barco half hatchet head (heat treated but unsharpened and the hammer face was left in a rough-machined state) and hafted it on a Council Tool Flying Fox handle I had kicking around. Black locust wedge and maple dowel wedge. The head rings like a bell in use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    You did quite well saving that old handle! I thought it was a Marbles at first with all those Mark's from the original wedges. Did you scrape in the octagon as well? It all works well together. Good looking hudson bay you just gave another chance to. Great combo, good job!

Yankee Josh and Miller '72 like this.
  17. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    Thanks i did shape the handle best i could, it was such a board. I am enjoying the length to weight and the way it looks too;)

junkenstien, Yankee Josh and Meek1 like this.
  18. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    Wow, great job!

Miller '72 and Yankee Josh like this.
  19. FLINT77

FLINT77

Apr 8, 2013
    very nice!! I love the red paint!

Meek1, Yankee Josh and disduster like this.
  20. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    Earlier this week...
    Rixford
    Connecticut
    28" Green Arrow haft i had

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]