What did you rehang today?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Irongun324, May 1, 2013.

1. DB_Cruiser

DB_Cruiser

Jul 17, 2018
    Sorry... wrong thread

Miller '72 likes this.
  2. Travbud1

Travbud1

Aug 7, 2015
    Gorgeous!!

Miller '72 likes this.
  3. quinton

quinton

Nov 4, 2006
    Thanks!
    My mystery Connie has been solved.. my head had remnants of red paint, a 3 1/2 weight stamp exactly like the one on your axe, same shape, but no name stamp.

Nice work, Miller!

4. Meek1

Meek1

Aug 11, 2019
    She is magnificent! Now I know Connie is not your favorite. But give her time. Stunning axe man! Great job!

Yankee Josh and Miller '72 like this.
  5. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    Thank you Quinton and i am glad it helped you ID yours. Beautiful axes i feel. The steel is great, had to use my black jacks on it. Love it!

Thanks again, pet those doggies for me :):thumbsup::cool: they are beautiful the last pics i remember

Yankee Josh and quinton like this.
  6. FLINT77

FLINT77

Apr 8, 2013
    I'm not aware of Rixford axes not ever having the name stamp. They always have an RXX date stamp and then the Rixford stamp

Here is my rixford connecticut. Interesting that my R41 connecticut has the 3 1/2 weight stamp, but my R51 DB has a 3^2 stamp.

[​IMG]

7. junkenstien

junkenstien Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 15, 2017
    That Rixford Connie is beautiful miller72 bet it feels right at home with all them other lovely connies you have.

Yankee Josh and Miller '72 like this.
  8. quinton

quinton

Nov 4, 2006
    I'd say you're right. On closer inspection the weight stamp on my head is different.
    [​IMG]

9. FLINT77

FLINT77

Apr 8, 2013
    I think that like Rixford (VT) the other new england/maine axe manufacturers also used the fractional weight stamps instead of the superscript system.

Yankee Josh likes this.
  10. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    Thank you for the kind words. I dont know...i hope the Connecticut pattern grows on me ;):D

I like the stamp still there hanging on strong! Great connie and I see so few Rixford...less than most others. Excellent axe you have there and would love to see the double :cool:

Oh My those beautiful bevels...on fire! That pole still looks so crisp. I have my guesses but would love to see more;)

Yankee Josh, FLINT77 and quinton like this.
  11. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    Thank you man!
    It certainly has found its place among the few in the house at the moment :D;)

Yankee Josh and junkenstien like this.
  12. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    JP Kelly with similar mark.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. FLINT77

FLINT77

Apr 8, 2013
    certainly

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

also, it came with this really cool old axe cover. its really stiff and I'm afraid of trying to bend it too much. seems like it covered in some kind of fat or wax or something. I don't know how to recondition it. any ideas?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. junkenstien

junkenstien Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Wow thats lovely,regular old saddle soap and conditioning oil have worked good for me.Have seen neetsfoot and mink oil leave white stuff after awhile.

15. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    I would recommend posting up here. There are many excellent leather workers here...@ithinkverydeeply here on the forum or possibly on IG, @quinton does really excellent work and others. I personally have 2 leather, one is from @ithinkverydeeply...OMG awesome!

Love the dbl man! Thank you

16. FLINT77

FLINT77

Apr 8, 2013
    Sharpened this head up a few days ago and hung it on a link 'miner's axe' handle I recently got. I like it a good bit. 4lb (ish) head and weighs exactly 5lbs as hung. Just shy of 27" total length. Should be a good fallers axe.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Sweet axe! That last photo is the money shot.
    Great stamp, too.

muleman77 likes this.
  18. serotina

serotina

Dec 9, 2005
    Love the stamp on that miner's axe!

19. muleman77

muleman77

Jan 24, 2015
  20. muleman77

muleman77

Jan 24, 2015
    Gave this FE rafter some love today. Not much abuse, but lots of weather, has given it some pretty good character.

Tennesee Hickory needed thinned some, as usual. Angle grinder with a 36 grit flap does it fast. Couple minutes of hand sanding with 100 grit after that and its good enough for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]