What is one characteristic or spec from a manufacturer that disqualifies them for you

Gotta factor in the nut weight. Manufacturers should take that into consideration and list their knives weight with nuts. Nuttless : 5.5 oz., Nutted 6 oz., that would simplify things a bit.

So you reckon the average nut weighs 1/2 an ounce then?

The standard nut for a knife yes. You could adjust the table for heavier nuts. But, I think most people prefer one of around half an oz., I wouldn't want to go any lighter than that though. ;)

Oh, so it's a knife fighting stye that uses the the same grip as "enraged spouse with a steak knife" technique, but with a smaller knife. Got it. :thumbup:

'Enraged spouse' :D

Its not a fighting style which I practice nor a knife which I own - I just wanted to draw attention to the fact, that there is some thought behind the knife - as with most Spyderco products.

Nobody complains about the weight
Well, actually 'somebody' did ....ohh, wait...., it was you in post #75 in this very thread.

All metal scales/handles
Flippers with no other opening system
Most linerlocks
Framelocks
Weight, 95% of the blades out there are too heavy, to me 1" blade length = 1.2 oz. weight increase max
You contradict yourself in the same thread. As absurd as your nuts and zip tied knives.

If you didnt zip tie nuts to your knife blades, they wouldnt be so heavy.

He could go with titanium nuts, or even plastic! Ultralight plastic Spyderco with a Ultralight plastic nut. Ti handled knife, with a ti nut?

The only thing I don't like is recurve blades. But that does not disqualify a manufacture just means I want buy recurves. I try to stay away from fads and trends. I am turned on by any company that makes a nice sheepsfoot/wharncliff style blade around 3 inches in the USA. I try to buy USA made knives exclusively but it don't always work. Spyderco knives are very functional have good customer service and have some blades made in the US. Benchmade has models that are just a joy to use! Both companies have things I don't like but they should never be disqualified. I don't believe among the main producers of knives they can be disqualified because I am certain they all make something to appeal to

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree that your Spydercos may perform as well or better than a CRK. I would argue however that the tighter tolerances and overall higher quality of a CRK are easily detectable and IMO totally worth the price they command.

Well, I've tested a Sebenza before. Literally NO noticable differences in quality between that and any of Spyderyco's nicer models.

No 440 or AUS8 steel
No thumb studs. I sometimes cut food after all.
No tacticool or decorations. (snakes etc)
No sabre grinds
No reverse grind. It's a tool not a weapon.

Interesting observation, DShiflet. I think Spyderco's quality is very high over all. I have bought what I consider a lot of blades and messed around with many of them (not really testing so much, but light use), and have come to the conclusion that less is good in many cases. It is the "value" discussion and very subjective.

I've been to a lot of knife shows, Mecha.

My estimation? The average knife nut weighs about 185, is 5'11-ish tall, male, 37 and a half years old, from a semi-rural community.

Just my observation so far though...

Absolutely No-No for me:

1. Price is too high for a production knife, near price of handmade.
2. Bad foregin customer service. I'm buying your $150 dollar knife and you can't send me pocket clip screws or new spring - screw you. It's why people are buying clones.
3. Too heavy.7 or 8 oz.? Nope.
4. Crappy steel. I don't need some super steel like M390, but at least CPM154 would be nice. Yes it's about Kershaw chinese crap.
5. Assisted opening where spring will be broken soon.
6. Too many small and crappy screws with strange slot instead torx/phillips/etc.
7. Too delicate tip.
8. Lock issues.

I don't like metal scales on both sides.

At first I was not going to post in this thread. Then you reminded me of my showstopper.

I can't stand knives with two different materials for the scales. I don't care what they use (titanium, G10, CF, Stag, etc) but I want the front and back to match. I'll probably never own a Henderer because of that.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Wont buy no knives from stolen valor felon scumbags - so no Burger knives.

No knives from pretenders either - so no HEST.

Same goes for any knife by Marfione, Bark River or tacticlol companies like Mantis and Quartermaster et al.

No nightmare grinds or 'Tracker-like' knives.

No useless overbuilt idiotic clown knives in the vein of Medfords.
+1000

My estimation? The average knife nut weighs about 185, is 5'11-ish tall, male, 37 and a half years old, from a semi-rural community.

You forgot - lives in mother's basement...

Well, actually 'somebody' did ....ohh, wait...., it was you in post #75 in this very thread.

You contradict yourself in the same thread. As absurd as your nuts and zip tied knives.

If you didnt zip tie nuts to your knife blades, they wouldnt be so heavy.

I love you two guys making ad hominem attacks, coments and critiques on every public/General discussion thread I post and contribute to.
Thanks, you really make this an enjoyable forum, community and experience. :thumbup:

I love you two guys making ad hominem attacks, coments and critiques on every public/General discussion thread I post and contribute to.
Thanks, you really make this an enjoyable forum, community and experience. :thumbup:

Wow. I was commenting on Mecha's post.

I really don't pay attention to where you (or most folk) do or do not post, let alone making ad hominem attacks on every thread you contribute to.

Really interested now as to where I've attacked every post you've made, as that sounds a bit narcissistic to me.

If anyone in this thread feels slighted by something I post... don't... as that is not my intention.

But anyways, on with the list of undesirable traits. I have to find a suitable replacement for my Moras now.

Back