What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Camillus/Remington 103 Ranch Hand
OxMWgRX.jpg

I am carrying others as well (of course) but I just got this German Linder tuxedo sampler which I will have in my pocket for awhile. All steel and stabilized (rosewood?) covers, one spring, half stops and sharp ( a rare thing for a new knife). Now I need to scare up some victuals for 'sampling.' I am thinking New Year's Eve will be a good test- charcuterie, cheeses; I may not need it for the mini marshmallows in the cocoa. Who said anything about hot buttered rum, anyway?
View attachment 1481519 View attachment 1481520

That is quite an interesting knife!

I haven't been posting as much as usual since I've been carrying the same knife for a couple of weeks now. I almost switched to my peanut today, but the reamer on the electrician came in handy to clear out some holes for a rope on my daughter's sled.
U8KIc7J.jpg
Love my Electrician. Quite a capable carry and for me a "not-to-worry" one at that. I enjoy your pics of it.

Must be a tough one if it compares to the mighty TL-29!:cool:
Enjoy that week off~ hope the new job is working out.
Remember, chores will still be there when you feel like it. Go play with the kids.

Funny you mention charcuterie. We had a craft sale in the barn at the farm before Christmas. I used my limited skills to make a bunch of crafts.
Just before that, an ancient ash fell over my back fence, so I started making stuff out of it. Used my chainsaw to cut big rounds, and lengthwise boards, thinking I would make live edge serving trays. My son in Denver saw a photo, and declared them to be charcuterie boards. That was completely foreign to me, but now I’m making them for a young lady in Colorado who’s starting up a new charcuterie catering business.
Here’s what they look like~
View attachment 1481606 View attachment 1481607

Those look great! Best wishes assisting the start-up.

Stockyard Whittler and a new to me Case Barehead Jack

Q87Vpf2.jpg

Be still my heart. That Case jack. Whew.

A great pairing, Steve, a blade for every possible situation! I'm going with a Churchill and an SAK.

PrGDVAb.jpg

The Churchill is one of my most loved and that one is a beaut!

What a debonair jack!

Thank you, Michael, for your compliments. :)

That is an excellent shot of the classic Peanut. :thumbsup:

Get 'em while they're hot, they're flying off the shelf! :D I spent quite awhile looking before I picked the one I bought.

Thank you kind sir.

Modern traditionals out in the woods with me today.
cu5AGTr.jpg

That looks like a lot of fun!

Sowbelly stockman this week is a Rough Rider with carbon steel blades and yellow synthetic covers:
carbsow.mark.3open.flat.chair.jpg

"Regular" stockman this week is a Case Caliber LT347:
LT347.mark.3open.jpg

Premium canoe this week is a Schrade-Wostenholm I*XL stag canoe (thanks for the GAW @cchu518):
closed.pile.printer.jpg

Budget canoe this week is a RR Ram's Horn Bone model:
canoe.ram.mark.open.jpg

- GT

Remember, chores will still be there when you feel like it. Go play with the kids.

Funny you mention charcuterie. We had a craft sale in the barn at the farm before Christmas. I used my limited skills to make a bunch of crafts.
Just before that, an ancient ash fell over my back fence, so I started making stuff out of it. Used my chainsaw to cut big rounds, and lengthwise boards, thinking I would make live edge serving trays. My son in Denver saw a photo, and declared them to be charcuterie boards. That was completely foreign to me, but now I’m making them for a young lady in Colorado who’s starting up a new charcuterie catering business.
Good on you for salvaging what you could from the ash tree, Jeff. There is some nice looking grain in those slabs

I love the wood grain in your Little Rattler. :thumbsup: Excellent backdrop and photography too. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The past two days I've carried this pair. A GEC 74 and a very fine older knife by Camillus that was gifted to me by kind member here, thanks Paul.:)
Camillus & 7422 - 1.jpeg

Hopefully there wasn't any (or much) damage to your fence from the falling tree, Jeff. But at least tell me you saved a few pieces for some guitar bodies. Those are good looking boards, that's just where my mind went first! Spring is just around the corner, so I guess it's starting to feel like time to hit the woodshop again!

Those look great! Best wishes assisting the start-up.
Thanks much, Michael!
She’s smart, I think she’ll do very well.
Good on you for salvaging what you could from the ash tree, Jeff. There is some nice looking grain in those slabs

The past two days I've carried this pair. A GEC 74 and a very fine older knife by Camillus that was gifted to me by kind member here, thanks Paul.:)
View attachment 1481973
I really like that crotch grain, Greg.
I was really struggling with this tree, because it was hung up in some other trees, and I had a nerve wracking time getting it on the ground. Ended up cutting most of it into firewood billets.

Hey! Nice pair of knives today! Great bones.

Hopefully there wasn't any (or much) damage to your fence from the falling tree, Jeff. But at least tell me you saved a few pieces for some guitar bodies. Those are good looking boards, that's just where my mind went first! Spring is just around the corner, so I guess it's starting to feel like time to hit the woodshop again!
Time for me to fire up the propane heater in the garage, or give it up til spring!
The tree flattened some fence, but it’s just wire stock fencing, so no big deal.
The worst thing is that it really tore up three walnut trees on it’s way down.
I did have one ash log that I milled the log on my friend’s Wood Mizer sawmill two years ago. And in fact, I have a Telecaster body I cut out of it in the garage, but it’s way too heavy. I’ll have to chamber it and put a cap on it to use this northern ash.
I’ve got a pretty good pile of boards from that log.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, Jack!!!

You have an excellent cutter and a classic bottle opener, now all you need is a frosty beverage; hope your back is on the mend, too!:cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thank you very much for the kind words JJ :) :thumbsup:

Toting my favorite two trappers for Tuesday, both from GEC. :)

Delightful duo my friend, two extremely handsome and capable-looking knives :) :thumbsup:

These 2 today : A couple of "Feel Good " knives

Harry

"Look Good" too Harry! :) :thumbsup:

Sowbelly stockman this week is a Rough Rider with carbon steel blades and yellow synthetic covers:
View attachment 1481963

"Regular" stockman this week is a Case Caliber LT347:
View attachment 1481964

Premium canoe this week is a Schrade-Wostenholm I*XL stag canoe (thanks for the GAW @cchu518):
View attachment 1481966

Budget canoe this week is a RR Ram's Horn Bone model:
View attachment 1481968

- GT

Four fine knives GT :) I bought one of those Rough Riders when they first appeared, and while I've still not gotten round to carrying it, I had it out just the other night :thumbsup:

IMG_20201229_161709949.jpg

Well, let’s be real, I’ll never quite abuse the Trestle Pine as much as I would a TL-29. But if my life depended on getting a paint can open with the cap lifter - game on :D. It’s nearly as hefty. The TL is 3.7 oz. The Trestle is 3.4 with big juicy back springs.

Thanks for the reminder to carve out more time with kids. That was perfectly timed. I’ve rearranged the rest of my week to give them more time and less to projects around the house :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:.

Those ash projects are looking good!!!

Back