What's your Camp Knife ?

droptyne

Gold Member
This has to be my favorite camp blade... 1095, 3/16 thick, 5 in blade, od micarta over yellow liners. I've been working on convexing the edge lately.
2012-08-21_02-50-49_42.jpg

To me, the Camp Knife, is the one that gets the camp chores, mostly food prep, and the like. I've found that I really like my Mora 2k for that role. The stainless means that I don't have to worry about it, bulky plastic sheath means it can be kept in the sheath even if dirty, an important safety measure when a couple of people are working around a crowded picnic table. I don't think I'd change anything about it for that role, and if I got the new shorter version, I think it would end up on the belt. I have made it a point to keep a knife (currently my RC-3) on the belt at all times on the past few trips, as it keeps at least one knife sharp, means I have a knife if I wander off from the site, or such like. So the RC-3 generally gets fire duty, while the Mora is long enough to tackle things like bread slicing, and even watermelons, where the 3 takes a bit more thought.
I've been eyeing the new BK-15, I think that would be a great knife for camp.
My wife has a BM fixed griptillian that she really likes. does the food prep not bad, but more importantly, she feels like she could do damage with it if she needed too, if say a dingo decided to try a nibble.

Well it was this...
InHand-1.jpg

Until I got this...
outofsheath.jpg

then ditched it for this and a hatchet
DSCF5537.jpg

and finally added the new kid on the block
DSCF5639.jpg

as you can see I also got a better camera in that span of time, The one that got the most use as of know was the Ka-Bar, the most versatile was the Bushcraft Force closely followed by the 14, and I have high hopes for the 16, some initial backyard testing is promising (just got it a little while ago) but its going to run the gauntlet once I get back up to the Adirondacks.

lmalterna

Gold Member
My wife just gave me a Condor Golok this weekend on our camping trip, that and a Bushlore- I love them both. Not so expensive that I worry to abuse them and great quality!
I am just mugging here but you can certainly cut your food with a Golok....
a.jpg

Bill

geargeek

Gold Member
If I had to pick just one "all purpose camp knife to do everything on any possible trip" then it would be the Hatchula by Dylan Fletcher. It has amazing chopping power and utility for it's weight and size. I'm also really loving the GSO 5 prototype that I picked up a few months ago, I wonder what is up with those?
Of course I have others as well, and I pick a different one depending on weight requirements and the nature of the trip. For smaller work I tend to favor knives with large handles and convex grinds, I love the Fiddleback Bushcrafter! Truthfully though, I could get by with just an SAK and a Mora... (glad I don't have to though!)

NWA Sierra Scout This is my current favorite, and I honestly think it iwll be a long time before it gets replaced. If ever....

IMG_0350.jpg

frontiersman_bowie_knife_by_wolfie_83-d5bol1p.jpg

Made this one with an old hickory butchers blade, have made a paracord baldric which can be untied and used for survival use.

Please share some pics when it arrives !

I can't believe i never replied to this thread with pics of my Breeden razor! Anyway, here are some photo's of it in different activities...

After just being batonned through this seasoned oak tree:

18June2012BatonChoppingFINISHEDII.jpg

Chopping/batonning some more oak:

TruthChoppingIII.jpg

and a final 'up close n personal' portrait:

TruthChoppingVI.jpg

It's an awesome camp knife !!!!

I have a new one coming in, a Gossman 4 inch UNK (which he calls the Utility Field Knife) in S90V and G-10. Cant wait for that...

It will look like this but with a 4 inch blade and G-10 instead of micarta.

GossmanUNK.jpg

Last edited:
For that last few months it has been this one for me.
7" blade 3/16" thick and 5" long handle.

IMG_0706-1.jpg

Bryan