What's your Camp Knife ?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by pitdog, Mar 12, 2012.

1. droptyne

droptyne Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 12, 2011
    This has to be my favorite camp blade... 1095, 3/16 thick, 5 in blade, od micarta over yellow liners. I've been working on convexing the edge lately.
    [​IMG]

2. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek

May 19, 2007
    To me, the Camp Knife, is the one that gets the camp chores, mostly food prep, and the like. I've found that I really like my Mora 2k for that role. The stainless means that I don't have to worry about it, bulky plastic sheath means it can be kept in the sheath even if dirty, an important safety measure when a couple of people are working around a crowded picnic table. I don't think I'd change anything about it for that role, and if I got the new shorter version, I think it would end up on the belt. I have made it a point to keep a knife (currently my RC-3) on the belt at all times on the past few trips, as it keeps at least one knife sharp, means I have a knife if I wander off from the site, or such like. So the RC-3 generally gets fire duty, while the Mora is long enough to tackle things like bread slicing, and even watermelons, where the 3 takes a bit more thought.
    I've been eyeing the new BK-15, I think that would be a great knife for camp.
    My wife has a BM fixed griptillian that she really likes. does the food prep not bad, but more importantly, she feels like she could do damage with it if she needed too, if say a dingo decided to try a nibble.

3. french_butcher

french_butcher

Jan 8, 2010
    My Scrapyard SOD LE ;)
    [​IMG]

4. TheWambo

TheWambo

Apr 21, 2012
    Well it was this...
    [​IMG]

Until I got this...
    [​IMG]

then ditched it for this and a hatchet
    [​IMG]

and finally added the new kid on the block
    [​IMG]

as you can see I also got a better camera in that span of time, The one that got the most use as of know was the Ka-Bar, the most versatile was the Bushcraft Force closely followed by the 14, and I have high hopes for the 16, some initial backyard testing is promising (just got it a little while ago) but its going to run the gauntlet once I get back up to the Adirondacks.

5. lmalterna

lmalterna Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 12, 2002
    My wife just gave me a Condor Golok this weekend on our camping trip, that and a Bushlore- I love them both. Not so expensive that I worry to abuse them and great quality!
    I am just mugging here but you can certainly cut your food with a Golok....
    [​IMG]

Bill

6. daniel4572

daniel4572

Oct 30, 2005
    Laconico Bowie Camp Knife:)

Attached Files:

7. geargeek

geargeek Gold Member Gold Member

May 31, 2010
    If I had to pick just one "all purpose camp knife to do everything on any possible trip" then it would be the Hatchula by Dylan Fletcher. It has amazing chopping power and utility for it's weight and size. I'm also really loving the GSO 5 prototype that I picked up a few months ago, I wonder what is up with those?
    Of course I have others as well, and I pick a different one depending on weight requirements and the nature of the trip. For smaller work I tend to favor knives with large handles and convex grinds, I love the Fiddleback Bushcrafter! Truthfully though, I could get by with just an SAK and a Mora... (glad I don't have to though!)

8. adam0321

adam0321

Aug 20, 2009
    NWA Sierra Scout This is my current favorite, and I honestly think it iwll be a long time before it gets replaced. If ever....

[​IMG]

9. Jakeboy

Jakeboy

Feb 12, 2011
    Condor Hudson Bay and a bushcrafter I made myself.

[​IMG]

10. Tim the Slugman

Tim the Slugman

Jun 9, 2005
    Fallkniven A2

11. Robert.B

Robert.B

Apr 17, 2003
    [​IMG]

Made this one with an old hickory butchers blade, have made a paracord baldric which can be untied and used for survival use.

12. clayton c

clayton c

Dec 8, 2002
    My camp knife, Puma White Hunter.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

13. clayton c

clayton c

Dec 8, 2002
    double post.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2012
  14. jeepin

jeepin Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2003

Another awesome Laconico:thumbup:

15. fmajor007

fmajor007

Apr 1, 2010
    I can't believe i never replied to this thread with pics of my Breeden razor! Anyway, here are some photo's of it in different activities...

After just being batonned through this seasoned oak tree:

[​IMG]

Chopping/batonning some more oak:

[​IMG]

and a final 'up close n personal' portrait:

[​IMG]

It's an awesome camp knife !!!!

16. Buffalohump

Buffalohump

Sep 7, 2006
    I have a new one coming in, a Gossman 4 inch UNK (which he calls the Utility Field Knife) in S90V and G-10. Cant wait for that...

It will look like this but with a 4 inch blade and G-10 instead of micarta.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  17. butterflyknives

butterflyknives

Jun 18, 2012
    Cold steel paradox and cold steel srk or a scharde Bowie knife or ka bar

18. sicily02

sicily02

Nov 23, 2005
    For that last few months it has been this one for me.
    7" blade 3/16" thick and 5" long handle.

[​IMG]

Bryan

19. caine

caine

Nov 9, 2003
    very nice

20. Ballenxj

Ballenxj

Oct 30, 2010
    Any more?