Why is flicking damaging to the Reeve knives

Rick Hinderer and Chris Reeve are not the same person, they design different style knives. You would have to ask them.

I was asking JNewell why he said flippers are built to take more. He answered, I'm done.

Is excessive thumb flicking as bad? Just curious, my sebs get thumb flicked...

Of course if is not as bad there is less shock loading.

Think of it this way, lets say there is a life span of 10,000 open and closings on a CRK knife.(just a random number but they do have a life span) Wrist flicking would lower that number significantly. So remember every time you open and close your seb you are one flick closer to wearing your knife out. This goes for any knife obviously, open and closing wears on the locking mechanism and pivot assembly.

@Scurvy
Reason I said I can't comment much because I haven't handled one of them. It was more a curiosity comment than an argument for or against.

@au5t3n5
On one hand you could save money and that may be true. On the other hand, if somebody is dead set on spending that kind of money on a laptop, you could easily point them to a Windows machine with much better specs.

That said, I did build my own desktop, and I'd love to handle a Sebenza some time.

If you like desktops, and what looks good on paper instead of experience (think hardware vs OS), then it makes no sense to get a sebenza when you can get a Bradley Alias for 1/2 the cost and you get a ti framelock and s30v. Its the same on paper but boy it is different in hand. I've had windows long before PC, and still use Window for work...but OSX is much much easier to deal with. No updates every 5 minutes, installs are merely drag and drop, just easier to deal with in general. It's all a preference. If you are looking to get the best bang for your buck...you can easily get a ti framelock spyderco southard with cts204p steel (better than s30v) for less than the sebenza. Sebenzas are simply not for people looking for bang for their buck...

Have you tried using a mac? Don't knock em' till you try em.

I have not found any threads on here with any examples and 1 lone YT video of re-ground Seb. Do you have any references of where to find this information on the plethora of re-ground Sebs? I am curious to see just how they have come up with a better grind than CRK has.

I second this, the blade is actually quite thin at the edge as well as a little above the edge (CRK makes it so like a good chunk of the blade near the edge is actually flat and not hollow, so you can sharpen the knife and the geometry will not change - unlike a real FFG which gets thicker as you sharpen up). Not what what you could do besides grind the blade to be thinner near the spine...but even then you can't really change the cutting edge too much. I recon you can make it thinner so it'll slice better if you are running the entire blade through material, but in all my years of collecting/following CRK I don't think I've seen more than one or two regrinds, hardly enough to say there are 'a lot' floating around. Not sure if its necessary to regrind a sebenza, I can see why you would want to regrind a Strider or a Hinderer though.

If you are looking to get the best bang for your buck...you can easily get a ti framelock spyderco southard with cts204p steel (better than s30v) for less than the sebenza.

But if you want the Sebenza, nothing else will do.

The same applies to other knives too.

I always said that Striders are about $150 overpriced (they still are).
So I got knives with better value. :)
And awesome steel, and cool handle materials. :)
But I still wanted the Strider. :(
So, I bought one, and then I was happy. :)

And then I got an Umnumzaan.
And a Tuff....

But if you want the Sebenza, nothing else will do.

The same applies to other knives too.

I always said that Striders are about $150 overpriced (they still are).
So I got knives with better value. :)
And awesome steel, and cool handle materials. :)
But I still wanted the Strider. :(
So, I bought one, and then I was happy. :)

And then I got an Umnumzaan.
And a Tuff....

Amen brother. Have a bunch of CRK but a few other things to spice it up. Variety makes me happy. :)

If you like desktops, and what looks good on paper instead of experience (think hardware vs OS), then it makes no sense to get a sebenza when you can get a Bradley Alias for 1/2 the cost and you get a ti framelock and s30v. Its the same on paper but boy it is different in hand. I've had windows long before PC, and still use Window for work...but OSX is much much easier to deal with. No updates every 5 minutes, installs are merely drag and drop, just easier to deal with in general. It's all a preference. If you are looking to get the best bang for your buck...you can easily get a ti framelock spyderco southard with cts204p steel (better than s30v) for less than the sebenza. Sebenzas are simply not for people looking for bang for their buck...

Have you tried using a mac? Don't knock em' till you try em.

I own a Mac. Rarely use it though. Also, my most used knife is an Opinel, and my most expensive knife is a Bone Collector that I got on clearance for $60. However, unlike knives, it's fairly easy for me to find and play around on a high end computer.
I'm hoping to get around to a knife store soon that has a Sebenza so I can handle one.

With my Ti framelocks I open it about as slow as one can and ease the lockbar onto the lockface. If I had to send one back to the maker because of problems with the lockup and they tried the old "you abused the knife" etc. I think I'd blow a gasket because I know they'd be full of crapola. Every now and then I won't ease the lockbar down and I'll open it normally but that should cause excessive wear IMO.

These knives are meant to be used. If they refused to fix knife that wasnt abused I would be PISSED.

I think flippers and assisted opening knives are designed/calibrated by the manufacturer to minimize any severe detrimental effects (or at least be made to meet an acceptable life-span of the product) but 'flicking' is hard on all knives. All things submit to entropy.

Use a hammer as directed and you'll wear it out eventually. Go ahead and use it to pound nails all day long on the job-site, but if you go home and continue to smack it against a nailhead as you watch TV, you are accelerating the rate of wear of your tool. Worth it? You decide.

I also think that when a maker/manufacturer receives a knife for warranty work, they can probably tell a lot about how a knife was used by the condition--especially if they've been in the game for as long as Mr. Chris Reeve. He knows his knives inside and out.

Anyway, that's my 2¢... :)

-Brett

Sweet this thread again, how long has it been since this was asked, and answered? BF might as well get rid of the search function, it seems like all of the new people just want to get attention by having their very own thread. I completely understand asking a question if you feel previous threads just were not answered to a specific point of your question. However I have seen this very thread a few times, and I have not been here for very long. Okay that was my rant for tonight.

For anyone who may still be reading this and is confused. When you use your wrist to assist you in flipping a knife open, your are not just using the weight of the blade and force of the detent breaking apart like how a flipper is opened. When your wrist is involved in flicking, you are then adding more momentum to the blade. This kind of force constantly coming between materials causes an unnatural wear on not only your stop pin, but the blade as well.

I would like to think that Chris Reeve will not warrant this issue because he wants people to properly know how to open a knife. Nothing teaches people a lesson better than having to pay money for a mistake.

If you get a PC laptop with the same specs as the MBP, the MBP will squash the PC any day of the week. Apple develops the software from the ground up and then chooses its hardware, everything is optimized. PC's are all built and then someone slaps a copy of Windows on them. There is a reason why MBPs have much higher benchmarks than PCs with the same parts. Everything is optimized to squeeze the last bit of power out of the machine. There is a reason Apple can still control a large portion of the computer industry with last quarter's hardware.

That said, you can build any desktop for $2000 that will out perform a $2000 MBP. But its not as simple as just the OS UI and hardware....

You need to handle a sebenza to understand why its the benchmark for a lot of people.

Modern Apple software is just Linux in new clothes.

And heavily overpriced.

Sweet this thread again, how long has it been since this was asked, and answered? BF might as well get rid of the search function, it seems like all of the new people just want to get attention by having their very own thread. I completely understand asking a question if you feel previous threads just were not answered to a specific point of your question. However I have seen this very thread a few times, and I have not been here for very long. Okay that was my rant for tonight.

Not this time. The first post in this thread was actually on the seventh page of a previous thread on the topic. It was a year after that thread had ended, so I cut it out and made a new thread out of it.

Same thing always happens, people click on it, read the first post, and answer it, ignoring all the answers before theirs. Question, answer, next question, ignoring previous answer.

Wrist flicking is NOT the habit of hobbyists. No self respecting collector would do that to their knives. It's amatuerish, mall ninja, tacticool and should only be reserved for certain internet douches. If you can't flick a knife out with your thumb and no wrist flick either learn some technique or get a better knife.

To use your car analogy, it would be like taking the vehicle on a race track and running it several hours a day and then when it breaks, expecting your warranty to cover it.

Or maybe more like the car owner who thinks the way to get a standard tranny vehicle moving is to wind the engine up to 4k then sidestep the clutch...and wonders why parts break... :rolleyes:

I've never handled a Sebenza so I don't know if I can comment here, but I've always wondered if a Sebenza is kind of like a MacBook to the knife world. Overpriced, has a certain social status that goes along with it, but when you get down to the OS and the hardware, not too much different from a computer that is $400 less than it is.
One day I'll get to play around with one of them, at which point I believe I'll form my own opinion that I will swing around like fact.

Let's be reasonable and honest here: if you haven't handled one, you probably shouldn't comment.

I've never bought an Apple MacBook, but it isn't because they don't offer high degrees of quality, performance and reliability. It's because they tend to use proprietary components and are very low on the user-service/upgrade scale - which means that, unlike a Sebenza that I can reasonably expect to last a lifetime, a MacBook may last only several years.

Back