2011 fish pic thread

oh....and this creature-on a black spro frog that is now destroyed- thought I had a new state record- glad I had a heavy flippin stick and 25lb mono.

06112011PICT0009.jpg

I was catching these off one rocky bottleneck a few weeks back. Red eye, very green, different from the other small mouth I've pulled out of the creek.
IMG_1503-1.jpg

Most of them look like this guy
IMG_1550-1.jpg

Night time topwater silver.
IMG_1631-1.jpg

I'm looking for the largemouth around 5lb. I know he's in there... this one was 2lb. I took a photo because he was a fine looking fish. Night time bass are a hoot when they are bitin'.
IMG_1637-1.jpg

A small pike caught on a Blue Fox spinner.

IMGP1378.jpg

IMGP1379.jpg

Another small pike caught on a little Berkley popper, notice the nasty wound on it that extended to the other side of the fish.

IMGP1380.jpg

IMGP1381.jpg

Otter tracks.

IMGP1393.jpg

IMGP1395.jpg

Dead barbel with its face chewed off, notice the paw print in the fish's body.

IMGP1391.jpg

IMGP1392.jpg

IMGP1389.jpg

Whitby Harbour, I saw a salmon that must've been 3ft long jump repeatedly out of the water.

IMGP1396.jpg

Trout, caught on a Blue Fox spinner.

IMGP1369.jpg

Nice smallies Picksmith. They have a hard time resisting crawdads. The smallies here have red eyes.

The otters been eating your fish , Yorkie? Is trapping otters allowed?

Nice smallies Picksmith. They have a hard time resisting crawdads. The smallies here have red eyes.

The otters been eating your fish , Yorkie? Is trapping otters allowed?

Otters are fully protected by both European and British law, no killing, trapping, handling or destruction of their holts. There's nothing that can be done and to be honest I don't mind too much. It's good to see them coming back, I'd like to get some trail cameras and get some pictures.

I've seen a mink on the river, as an alien species these aren't welcome!

Thanks! I've caught dozens of smallmouth this year crawling crawboogers off the adjacent bank and into the water. Also had great luck with them in the swift current where finesse fishing a worm is difficult to control. You're lucky to have those red eyed fish. We have alot of smallies, but mostly yellowish eyes and very subtle markings. I enjoy them all, but reeling in the occasional exception is exciting.
IMG_1613-1.jpg

Around here a "red eye" is a rock bass. This is my brother holding up one of his best from a visit a couple weeks back.
IMG_1589.jpg

Thanks! I've caught dozens of smallmouth this year crawling crawboogers off the adjacent bank and into the water. Also had great luck with them in the swift current where finesse fishing a worm is difficult to control. You're lucky to have those red eyed fish. We have alot of smallies, but mostly yellowish eyes and very subtle markings. I enjoy them all, but reeling in the occasional exception is exciting.
IMG_1613-1.jpg

Around here a "red eye" is a rock bass. This is my brother holding up one of his best from a visit a couple weeks back.
IMG_1589.jpg

i think its cool that a rock bass isnt really a bass its a panfish like bream. the bass around here that have red eyed bass (do not know the actual name assuming red eyed bass isnt the real name).. below is a link if you look at post #10 you will see the red eyed bass we have caught in the New River along the NC/Va border

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishingforums/showthread.php?t=11084

i think its cool that a rock bass isnt really a bass its a panfish like bream.
Bream can be carp, sunfish, or any of a dozen species depending who you ask. Alot of people eat shovelheads, but some consider it a trash fish. A fish on the line is just fine with me no matter what someone decides to call it. We have several species of panfish in the local water, but they are "bluegill" for most people unless they have the larger mouth or red eye.
IMG_1660.jpg

Caught my first carp last night. Then this one. Can't believe how hard those sucker fish can fight!
IMG_1679.jpg

Forgive me gentlemen, but I am momentarily riding a fishing high and I have a few photos I must share.

The trailing treble of my crankbait scratched this dudes gill plate, so he bled a little. It took a good minute before he came around, but he shook my thumb loose and swam away strong. Not a trophy, but the largest smallie I have landed by several ounces. Only had to catch about 100 to find one...

2lb 4oz
IMG_1784.jpg

In July I saw some lucky SOB hit a large fish on a top water plug in less than a foot of water... I have caught 10 or so "walleye" after dark. Every one under 1lb until today when I caught 2 just over, and this fish just under 4 in a pathetic trickle of water.
IMG_1791.jpg

I had both my hands on him an instant before his teeth cut the line. A last second knee slid through the mud and a creek water splashdown was the only reason I landed him on a light action pole and 8lb mono. I was throwing for panfish while my medium-heavy was chillin' on the bottom for channel cats. Caught an 11oz crappie on it the other day and thought that was a real good fight LOL

Last edited:
Thank you! He was a real thrill to land. Not easy to photograph by myself on the bank in the dark, but I must have done alright for you to notice that's not a pure walleye. How do you recognize him as a sauger?

Thank you! He was a real thrill to land. Not easy to photograph by myself on the bank in the dark, but I must have done alright for you to notice that's not a pure walleye. How do you recognize him as a sauger?

bc it doesnt really look like a walleye lol

Ive caught both. Walleye usually have white on the bottom of their tail fin, saugers dont. That is what I look for. Probably not 100% accurate way of telling the difference.

That's what I have been looking for too. Saugeye have that white tip as well. I just thought sauger were the smallest of the three or I wouldn't question it. They are the only species that has never been stocked upstream. If he was one that would be extra sweet. Time to test that lucky crankbait looking for another LOL

bcd6f0ba.jpg

150lb marlin caught this on one of
Many trips back to my homeland Kauai, hawaii

7f377c72.jpg

Good size bass the wife caught on a minnow
bf441d86.jpg

Bullfrog chased my top water down and actually bit it!!
I have never seen this happen before

Back