• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Are you interested in a San Mai Nessmuk for $199 delivered to your door?

Folks,

I've talked to my webmaster and he made a quick mock up ("lame a** quick hack job" he said) of what I have in mind.

Mind you, even if this picture was made from pieces of other pictures of my knives, this doesn't look like a real knife, but it will give you an idea of what I'm talking about until I get to make the real prototype :)

If you like this, you gonna love the real knife :D

8" overall lenght, 3 3/4" edge.

Pins will be round, and probably not that on the extremes, as to allow a bolster (if so desired) and a lanyard hole.

nessmukmockup.jpg

Ariel

Hi Ariel,

maybe I've missed the updates but I'm interested, when or how can one order.

regards
roger

bodhi_,

Pre ordering is open already, you can either do that now based on the drawing and pictures I've posted or wait a week and order based on the real knife :)

Ariel

Then I'm ordering one, let me know how to pay the deposit.

I'd love to have a lanyard hole.
roger

Well, looks like the prototype is ready, gentlemen :)

Some more working pictures.

Drilling the pins and lanyard holes before heat treating the blade.

nessmukmaking9.jpg

nessmukmaking10.jpg

Blade in the oven.

nessmukmaking11.jpg

Tempering temperature. (C degrees) The blade stays in the oven for 15-20 minutes and then it gets quenched in oil at 60C

nessmukmaking12.jpg

Stress relieving tempering (again, C degrees) Same quenching process as before.

nessmukmaking13.jpg

Blade after the HT process.

nessmukmaking14.jpg

Polished blade, right before the acid etching.
More on how I do this here: http://www.aescustomknives.com.ar/docs/tutorial13.htm

nessmukmaking15.jpg

Etched blade, ready to receive some handle slabs.

nessmukmaking16.jpg

nessmukmaking17.jpg

And behold, the finished knife! :D
(I'll get better pictures soon, I promise)

San Mai Nessmuk Knife
San Mai damascus in 1010/1070 with a 5160 core.
Overall length is 8" with a 3 1/2" cutting edge. 3 3/4" from tip of the blade to the handles. 1/8" thickness.
Tapered butt-end. Curupay (a local hard wood) handles. Leather lanyard with a 1010/1070 damascus bead.

Of course it'll have a pouch style handmade leather sheath.

pro_nessmukproto1.jpg

pro_nessmukproto2.jpg

pro_nessmukproto3.jpg

pro_nessmukproto4.jpg

pro_nessmukproto5.jpg

Let me know what you think, all kinds of feedback apreciated!

I believe the handle slabs like this look and feel good, but of course that will depend on wheter the customer wants it like that or full style.

http://server.com/WebApps/mail-list-subscribe.cgi?list=79955

Thanks for looking!

Ariel

Thats awesome do you have someone for #18 if not let me know. what a great job. You can do so much with a blade shape like that. Im a lefty so if 18 is avilable i need a lefty sheath. also a black micarta handle would be cool to.
Thank and good work.

That blade is one of the most awesome I have seen however I think the it would look even better if the handle slabs were rounded so they had a little belly to them.....but hey what do I know !!!:foot:

Great work !!!:thumbup:

ka, I am covered up to #23 now, I can add you as #24 if you'd like :) (knives won't be numbered -never even thought of that- numbers are just the order for the knives to be made)

Lefty sheaths are no problem :D

I can also round off the handles if the customer prefers it, there no extra charge for that either.

Ariel

That looks fantastic. I'm looking forward to getting mine.

That Nessie looks GREAT!!!! Can't wait for mine!!!! Could we get some spine shots Ariel??? I have some big mits so I might need a little extra thickness in the scales. What thickness and types of micarta will you be offering??? Keep up the fantastic work.

It's 1/2" thick. I'll get detailed views once I get better pics.

If someone needs particular handle thickness I'll asses it case by case, a little more is no problem.

Now lets say someone wants 1" thickness, I can do it, but it'll cost a little bit more as I need to make micarta specially on that thickness or get thick enough wood and then the the sheath will have to be modified too.

mik, please drop me an email so I can have your contact info :)

Regards,

Ariel

Hi Ariel,

you can sign me up for sure. Wood handles plus lanyard hole, like the design as is.

Beautiful.
roger

bodhi, you're in as #23 :)

Top and bottom views :)

Thickness of the handle is 1/2"

pro_nessmukproto6.jpg

pro_nessmukproto7.jpg

I'm working with my webmaster to update the Nessmuk Project page with all this new pictures, details on what materials will be available, extra options, etc.

Please suscribe to my newsletter so I can send you an email when that's online. You'll be able to get all the details there.

Of course you can also email me any time to ask me about it!

http://server.com/WebApps/mail-list-subscribe.cgi?list=79955

Thanks for looking!

Ariel

Folks,

I'll take orders up to #30 for the time being. After that we'll see if there are more people interested :)

I don't want to commit to make more knives that I know I can handle, so first this 30, then we'll see if there's room for more or if I shall pass to a different model.

All the guys that pre ordered one based on the mock up that are OK with how this turned out, please email me with "Nessmuk #XX (your number, based on the list on my website)" to confirm your order, and let me know the specs if you already know them.

If we already discussed it, please email me again in this format so I can keep track of all the orders on the same place :)

I'll update my website in some hours with all the pertinent information!

Thanks for all the interest!

Ariel

Since you put a limit on it I have to jump on it now. #24-25? Thanks Martin

Sign me up for one? I'll take #26 or whatever you have left. Great looking knife and I've been wanting a Nessmuk!

Back