1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

Can one say it is SERVICE at all? Who will buy a knife from Darrel Ralph now...

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by filtrum, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reapinItUP

reapinItUP Banned BANNED

Jun 15, 2013
    Sharpe95th your way off. Why your getting on Kardas case I don't know.
    Repeat these words. I am not a victim.

2. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod

Apr 6, 2000
    Bladeforums rules: no personal attacks.
    Bladeforums rules: no attacks on moderators.

We understand when the FEEDBACK forum deals with The Bad or The Ugly that tempers can fray. But bystanders do not need to get emotionally involved. Stay on topic, especially if you have corroborative information.

Do not interfere with the original complaint.

3. Triforge

Triforge

Sep 3, 2012
    Guys I hope you understand and the mods are not allowed to seem/look/sound biased to one side or the other, since mods are supposed to be fair.
    The op was not being unfair to DR in any way shape or form. He thought the M390 would take too long so he asked for a quicker one, in which Darrel quoted him 2 weeks. About the "Oh custom knives aren't perfect" NO, go on the customs for sale section here, or look at any respectable maker. People like Dalibor, Jeremy Horton, etc etc, haven't been making knives NEARLY as long as Darrel. THEY CAN ACTUALLY BALANCE GRINDS AND KEEP THE LINES STRAIGHT. If I paid 1200 for a custom, say a Medford, or a Direware or a mikkell Willumsen. I expect it to be perfect to the last detail as I have specified. If they accidentally let something slip they would and should fix it immediately and prioritizing it. I'll admit that signing with a carbide bit is hard, but if you see it and it looks like #^*% then he should just tell him "Sorry it looks really bad, can I sign it on paper?" Also if you shipped a POS knife to someone for 1200, had it sent back, and you don't prioritize him and give him timely updates, expect your customer to be very PO'd, and at that time when you receive that kind of phone call, you should know why. The solution would not be to scream and shout back.

In conclusion. For all this,Vininull deserves all his money back, not have to try to be coerced into a NDA and DR should give him a free knife.

4. Triforge

Triforge

Sep 3, 2012
    Edit: repost

5. Bladenoobie1

Bladenoobie1

Jul 20, 2012
    You are making mountains out of molehills. This thread is for the discussion of an individuals experience with Darrel Ralph. Not for you to argue pointlessly and gripe about other moderators just because you cannot conceive the concept of a moderator pertaining to a particular forum. As a matter of fact you are the only one this thread acting in such a manner and its distasteful. In the future if there is indeed another situation where you must speak your mind take it to PM (private message) to the individual of interest. That aside we really shouldn't derail this thread any more than it has been. Until I have something of more value to say I'll just be observing this thread.

6. brooksknives

brooksknives

Jul 4, 2001
    Wow DR you are a person i will never deal with.

After reading that you send two knives that are a joke then try to blame the customer then try to cover it up with a non discloser email plus you are trying to keep three hundred dollars after you and your staff muck up your lucky the op is not in the states you would be sued for theft and extortion.

I for one will be telling everyone i know on every forum i am a member of about this tread i hope you like the loss of business that your attitude brings you.

7. newknif

newknif Banned BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    It seems as though that signature was done using a hammer drill while wearing boxing gloves and a blindfold. The grind lines could have been done in this fashion as well. It would explain a lot.

8. MostMenAreRuthless

MostMenAreRuthless

Sep 27, 2011
    Question for Mr. Ralph:

Did you personally make these knives? As a true custom, I would expect all facets of the knife to have been personally made by you, and not by a shop apprentice or other knifemaker in your crew. That's the only reason I would pay $1200 for a "custom" knife.

Follow-up questions:

If yes, you personally made it--why did you send a knife out of your shop with such serious flaws as a bent blade, horrendous grind lines, and poor attention to detail? You have been a maker for a long time and these flaws would be blatantly obvious to you.

If no, you did not personally make it--who did? How much experience do they have in building $1200 customs? If I were to place an order for a DR Custom would I be advised that you, the maker, would not actually be building my knife?

Regarding your indignation towards name-calling and the OP's alleged unsavory language--does this apply to yourself as well? I recall a certain thread in which you referred to a BF member as a less-than-tactful, unsavory, and very offensive epithet which I shall not repeat here.

I look forward to your reply.

9. Ken44

Ken44

Jun 29, 2005
    If this had been a typical seller(here on BF) that ripped the OP off would he be banned for this ?
    I would hope so.

If so, will DR be banned ?
    Is he protected from being banned if he rips another member off even though regular members are not ?
    Just wondering.

Karda, I don't think you'll have to worry about the guy bringing up the mods again. I think that 40 points he got did the trick:p Thanks, as this is one thread that needs to stay open.
    Most all here know what great Mods we have, and we really appreciate it :thumbup:

10. Gastonknife

Gastonknife

Dec 15, 2008
    My questions exactly

11. mmmotorcycle

mmmotorcycle Midnight Joker #42

Jun 17, 2006
    Unacceptable, Mr. Ralph. You have many questions NEEDING answers here. That is, if you are concerned with your potential customers opinions.

There are far too many makers with perfect integrity for anyone to bother with anything LESS than perfect service. Mr. Ralph... at the very least you are losing many potential customers. Make it right, if you can.

12. jprime84

jprime84 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2014
    Well this is entertaining....

13. braillediver

braillediver Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Who Does Final Inspection on your knives DDR?

How did a knife in that condition get past inspection, shipped and into the customers hands?

You personally signed the knife- did you look at it at the time?

These are the things I don't understand.

14. Darrel Ralph

Darrel Ralph Moderator Moderator

Dec 14, 1998
    Let me first start off by apologizing to everyone, I really mean it, I am so sorry. The actions I took and members of my company took were not appropriate and for that I am very sorry. I am sending Vininull, today, $600 and a brand new knife which I have personally checked and double checked. I know that we have handled this poorly and we have taken the necessary actions to insure this doesn't happen again.

Thank you all for the very valuable feedback, I really appreciate many of you contacting me personally about this situation and giving me your opinion on the matter. I know this doesn't make everything that has happened go away nor do I expect it to but I do hope that all of you, at the very least, give me the opportunity to improve not only my quality control but my customer service skills.

Thank you.

15. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Nicely done sir.

best

mqqn

16. Good Climbing

Good Climbing Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2012
    We all make mistakes, some bigger than others, I'm happy to hear you have stepped up and not only acknowledged the mistakes but are taking the necessary steps to correct them. Hopefully Vininull is pleased with the results, he certainly has had a difficult time so far.

17. Sharpe95th

Sharpe95th Banned BANNED

Apr 2, 2013
    My thoughts on this were that DR Should be banned and nobody regardless of whatever should defend him, please dont make me out to be someone who is picking on Karda or just Mods in general, I aint a fool, maybe you should read my posts and then tell me if I am just someone havin a go for no reason?

I appreciate fairness, no ifs nor buts, this and that, it is what it is regardless of how you feel towards another or any situation.................It was obvious that DR is in the wrong, I find it really patronising when someone tells me to look at things from the obvious wrong doers point of view........ Ralph should be banned no ifs nor buts, this is not the first time he has done this. If you can google someones name and on the very first page then find associated with his name wrongdoing then why is he doing buisness as a Moderator on this Forum ( a forum with heaps of cool and good people may I add but with some that aint ) regardless of wether a Moderator is only assigned to there own forum he is a Moderator that is in a way affiliated with this Forum ( it is just plain obvious and very silly to say he is not ) and please I have not waverd from the subject atall what Ralp has done and whomever wants to say " look at it from his point of view man " should expect to get picked out from people who get really really really annoyed at seeing scumbags rip people off. Also I cannot describe the annoyance I felt at seeing that they had contacted the OP asking him not to speak to anyone about his experience, this is BLACKMAIL, downright skull duggery, I expect crap like this in a government office, not on a forum that is full of folks who generally consider these kind of politics filthy and not what they want to be around.........I am not saying that the Mods are corrupt in general, I am saying that some people even if they are Moderator need to take a stand against the crap like Ralph has done.........Please dont give me this bullcrap about " we need to be bystanders, we need to not take sides, thats plain old simple rubbish and if you want to buy that then go confuse yourself, but dont start crying when you get ripped. As for the 40 points, yes Karda gave me 40 points, but as far a stirring things go Ken thats stirring, I dont know you and I would never pass judgement on you regardless of who you have disagreed with unless I felt that you were a danger to anyone in doing so....Karda is a big boy Im sure he dont need you to hold his hand!!!........But all the same Ken, its nice to virtually interact with you, I wish we could have under different circumstances.

Regards

Matt

18. Luis G.

Luis G. Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Lay off the coffee

will wait for alex to update with receipt of promised merchandise

19. Ken44

Ken44

Jun 29, 2005

Great to hear you are making it right !

I think you may know this now, but in the future I wouldn't send an email telling a customer he couldn't speak of the deal if he wanted a refund(a partial refund at that). As you now know people can post that here for all to see.

Good luck going foward !

20. Sharpe95th

Sharpe95th Banned BANNED

Apr 2, 2013
    Anyway Folks" I am a big boy and I know when I have made a mistake and when people get angry it cause other feelings or emotions to get involved more easily than otherwise would. Karda I did not set out just to have a go at you are anyone else for that matter, I just didnt. If I have offended anyone at all in the slightest that was not my intenetion and apologies for doing so if I did, Sincere apologies.:)

Kind regards

Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.