1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

Can one say it is SERVICE at all? Who will buy a knife from Darrel Ralph now...

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by filtrum, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffsenpai

jeffsenpai Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Hopefully it ends well. Perhaps this new knife can undergo one of your HARD USE TESTS! :D

2. Triforge

Triforge

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm a bit confused at the sudden change of tone, from refusing to speak outside of email to public apologies?

3. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003

The best that can be said is that Mr. Ralph can be driven to do the right thing.

4. farokhsidhwa

farokhsidhwa

Dec 11, 2013

You forgot how DR completely ignored this post by the customer though. Kinda seems like a change of heart in customer service. Extremely weird to begin with, obviously not to mention the shady proposal...

5. wolfmann601

wolfmann601 Gone, but not forgotton. RIP Ira.

Mar 12, 2001
    "some" Folks in business do and say things sometimes in order to save their business.
    Is the change of heart sincere or a business ploy; only time will tell.........

6. magnumb

magnumb

Jun 26, 2011

7. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    Well, that took some effort to find fault, but congrats.

8. hom76

hom76

Nov 1, 2012
    Lesson learned: One single wrong move can completely destroy a long building reputation and it may take even longer to rebuild it.

9. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod

Apr 6, 2000
    I used to sit and listen when my parents had friends over. Dad and the guys would talk business, and they were all in very different businesses. They all focused on the same goal, though: keep the customer satisfied. Yeah, not always possible, but you can always try. Who knows, as long as you stay cooperative, they may think it over and come back later to work something out.

10. NYOutdoors

NYOutdoors Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 24, 2011
    These issues have plagued DDR Knives, you're right about that. I'm glad to see that Mr. Ralph is doing what he can to make it right with this gentleman - it appears that he was shafted indeed and he deserves to be compensated.

Maybe I'll be next to get my a) refund for b) forum knife from Darrel. It seems as though he's trying to turn over a new leaf and not screw people anymore. :rolleyes:

My point is, how many times do these horror stories have to come out until enough is enough? It's highly personalized, I guess...but I won't give a cent to that company ever again. I'm already out a few hundred without delivery of a product, and a big "oh well, sorry" explanation.

11. Spark

Spark HPIC - Hatas gonna Hate Staff Member Administrator Super Mod Moderator

Oct 2, 1998
    First, let me say this: I hate having to watch 1+ hours of videos to figure out what's going on with a topic.

Second, I agree with the previous poster in many regards: the buyer has some legitimate complaints, and some issues are reaching. For a $1200 knife, the edge should be perfect. It should be centered. Grinds symmetrical, etc. Me personally, I'd have signed the knife with a magic marker, signed it with acid to etch it, or put a signature into a CAD file and engraved it on.

Third, I'm having some problems understanding the chain of events here. From what I gather, the guy bought a knife, returned it, got another, and says that one is messed up too? I'm having difficulty buying that. I know personally that any time I have a return issue because of a screw up or defective or problem purchase, I make sure that the replacement doesn't have issues before it goes out, and I find it especially hard to believe that a $1200 purchase isn't going to get an inspection before going out the door.

Fourth, what sort of "testing" was done on the knife? This was mentioned a couple times during the video, but I wasn't paying close attention.

Fifth, the knife was sold at a $500 loss? WTF. This raises a red flag for me, a large one. If the knife is broken, defective, or otherwise unsatisfactory it needs to go back to the maker or manufacturer until it's right, or until a refund is issued. Period. Posting videos about how unhappy you are and then not giving them a chance to make it right is weird. How are they suppressed to improve or correct on issues if they can't see what's wrong?

Sixth, Darrel sending the customer a $600 knife on top of being savaged on this is above and beyond customer service. Especially if this guy cussed out his manager.

This is wrong, full stop. The manufacturers don't pay a dime to be on here. I don't know how this rumor started or why it keeps repeating, but we provide these forums at no cost to the manufacturers so they can interact with their customers. I haven't received a dollar from Benchmade, Emerson, Darrel, Chris Reeve, KaBar or any of the others. Full disclosure: several manufacturers have provided merch for giveaways or membership drives, but this was not asked for, nor done on a quid pro quo basis.

12. T. Erdelyi

T. Erdelyi Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Now you guys went and did it, you got Kevin involved... ;)

13. Wolf1524

Wolf1524

Dec 15, 2013
    Spark atleast please watch the video before you comment...

14. 1SHOT1KILL

1SHOT1KILL

Mar 28, 2009
    Here less than a year and already making demands of the site owner...glwt

15. rycen

rycen Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

Aug 22, 2002

16. Spark

Spark HPIC - Hatas gonna Hate Staff Member Administrator Super Mod Moderator

Oct 2, 1998
    Yep, this thread in a nutshell alright.

17. magnumb

magnumb

Jun 26, 2011

Your initial statement was just a timely and almost perfect lead-in to what seems to be happening in this thread as of late, not a concerted effort to find fault personally with you as an individual, as a fellow member. That same statement made by anyone else would have resulted in the same response from me.

DR certainly deserves the opportunity to attempt to salvage his reputation, his future and potential income, etc., but IMHO, he has clearly shown that he very much prefers to engage in 'damage control' only when publicly 'called out', as opposed to providing '100% customer satisfaction' as promised, when not under such scrutiny.

A reread of my post should clarify that.

18. Bladenoobie1

Bladenoobie1

Jul 20, 2012
    I will chime in that selling the knife was on the buyer and should of went back to DR in exchange for the new knife. If any extra money should of been added it should only be enough cover the extra shipping costs resulted from the multiple exchanges.

19. midnight flyer

midnight flyer Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Well, just a couple of comments and observations.

This should show all the value of Bladeforums beyond just the simple enjoyment of conversation about knives. It doesn't seem that DR had much interest in his commitment to customer service until this boiled up in front of such a large audience. While it seems that BF applied no pressure to DR to resolve this issue, this type of direct contact with other folks that would spend several hundred dollars has to be a targeted segment of his targeted clientele. No one wants to be exposed in front of an audience for bad behavior, poor product, and then real pettiness. (Really...? REALLY? A no tattling agreement?)

If any of you guys really want to see the close tolerances a custom knife can be made to on a repeatable basis, go to the traditional subforum here and take a look at some of the custom work there. Incredible, to say the least.

And Sharpe95, while you are complaining about mods and your treatment, you have no idea how lucky you are to still be here. Mods are people too and they have their opinion. And good days and bad days. While I don't post much here, I do read a lot. Some moderators are a great deal less tolerant than Karda has been on this thread.

I can say that in a lot of cases your language and choice of same along with your presentation directly aimed at some of the moderators would have either gotten you to your last warning, or outright banned. Karda has shown patience with you like I haven't seen him do in a while, but more even beyond that. In the subforum I frequent, you would have certainly been banned after your first, pointed rant.

On that particular forum, I had infractions issued for posting a picture incorrectly (apology NOT accepted by the mod), posting a link to another site to show a knife because I couldn't figure out how to post a pic, and another for linking to a non BF registered vendor. Never did I argue, sass, or be disrespectful in any way to them, and I corrected my errors as soon as I was told. That didn't make the infractions go away. For those mistakes, I was a step away from being banned.

Karda and the other mods have a difficult job to do sometimes, and I cannot personally imagine how time consuming it is for them. That being said, certainly their patience with you will run out. If you keep poking the dog, no doubt you will get bit.

Robert

20. Gastonknife

Gastonknife

Dec 15, 2008
    Why in the world would the buyer trust DDR a third time?? What the buyer did with his knife (the 2nd shady one) is not relevant to this situation really.
    The reason he posted here was that DDR did nothing to resolve his problems. I wouldn't want a knife from anyone who put me through a pile like that either.

How does a $1200 custom knife leave someone's shop with bad grind lines, off center, blade play, etc? How does it happen twice?
    Who really even made the knives in question? Was it really Darrel or a flunky in his shop?

Doesn't sound to me like D even had a hand in making the knives ...... he certainly never explained that part. Would be nice if he could chime in on how his operation really works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.