CAS - RyanW Collaboration Knife (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was very excited to see a new message in my Email with attachments from my friend Claudio. He reports that he had a nice relaxing holiday and hit the ground running and ready to continue cranking out the amazing work that comes out of his shop!

He assures me his portion of the work is close to being finished. I can't wait!

Here Claudio is using black marker so that he can scribe the Grind line for the Clip
a_zps58adb50d.jpg

b_zps6c8ba3b7.jpg

c_zpsd8581d7e.jpg

Using a wheel he hollow grinds the clip on both sides until they are even
d_zps220ab2bf.jpg

e_zpsc9cf7bb8.jpg

f_zpsb360292c.jpg

g_zpsf9b642a4.jpg

h_zpsec856087.jpg

i_zps3e2ced11.jpg

After he is happy with the grinds, He does what I believe to be the final Heat Treat.
j_zps3d80d2b8.jpg

k_zps31ac759d.jpg

l_zps192992a7.jpg

Great work as always Claudio, Very happy you were able to relax and enjoy your time off.
Ryan

Thanks for keeping us updated. I so enjoy this thread. That is going to be a dream knife.

Very interesting WIP, thanks for doing it. Oh I like both designs, but agree that the second works better with the CAS blade.

Freehand grinding a swedge on a wheel Batman! That's amazing! I mean, the whole thing is amazing, but that's the single most difficult thing (to me, anyway) I've seen on this whole WIP and it looks perfect. Thanks for putting this together.

Beautiful! I'm a big fan of both and this is going to deliver. That swedge freehand is awesome!!!

Very excited to see the end result! I have been lucky enough to add 1 of each of your knifes to my collection recently and could not be more pleased. Awesome write up btw!!!

Thanks for all the great comments, and following this as it progresses. I saw you grabbed that Ironwood fighter Millers! One of my favorites.

I heard from Claudio this weekend, and Have some photo updates....

A01_zps3108954e.jpg

A03_zpsdb934e54.jpg

Claudio Cleaning up the Plunge
A06_zpsbb4e5430.jpg

GOT BIT!! The blade has the taste of blood, I am nervous to start working on it! It was also nice to see they carry my brand of Band Aids in Argentina!
A08_zps1ff32854.jpg

A09_zps217d6ed9.jpg

A10_zps805fb0fb.jpg

A14_zpse2c44306.jpg

A16_zps621a51f3.jpg

A22_zps2333acbf.jpg

A18_zpsd9f7f6db.jpg

A20_zpse37f8ffb.jpg

A21_zpscd67aa81.jpg

A23_zpsa42ec0e4.jpg

More photos are coming a little later tonight, Claudio tells me It will be in the mail headed my way TOMORROW!!

That is looking incredible. Can't wait to see it when it is finished

That is spectacular. I am speechless.

Etching the blade With FC
2_zps18ab78b4.jpg

Neutralizing the Etchant
3_zpsa8bd45d1.jpg

The finished blade compared to the design I sent him! PERFECT!
7_zpsda3a5211.jpg

Yep it is sharp, that should make my end of the knife interesting:eek:
15_zpscc5301b0.jpg

It has been packaged up and is on the way to me! I cant wait to get my hands on it.
17_zpse82fb5b5.jpg

Claudio I greatly appreciate this opportunity to do this collaboration with you. I will do my best to make the finished knife something we can both be proud of.

Wow, that is immaculate.

I've always liked a rather bland and satin finish, but this picture has me sold on higher grits and a nice shine.

A14_zpse2c44306.jpg

This thread prompted me to purchase on of Claudios blades. Its beautiful san mai.

Its going to be fantastic Ryan.
Thanks Shawn!

Wow, two of the makers who most inspire me, working together?! Excited to see how this turns out.
I appreciate that Crimson, quite the compliment!

Congratulations!!
:thumbup:

This thread prompted me to purchase on of Claudios blades. Its beautiful san mai.
You have a photo of it? You must have timed that just right!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back