Doug Ritter RSK Knife Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
That price screams "Chinese made" to me. Especially in that blade steel. It's just that Mr. Ritter always seemed to be a "Made in USA" kind of guy to me.
IF it's a US brand, for some reason I'm feeling this might be either a Buck or CRKT. But I am holding out hope that Millit will be making it.

There is exactly zero chance CRKT is making something in M390.

Well, then again I guess CRKT doesn’t actually make any knives.

Those Ritter knives have always been excellent quality. I goofed up and sold 2 off. One in S30V and then the M390 one. I hope they offer an M4 version in the future.

There’s something about that style of jimping and the cutouts on the thumb studs that looks familiar but I can’t place it.

There is exactly zero chance CRKT is making something in M390.

Well, then again I guess CRKT doesn’t actually make any knives.

For the sake of fun, as I appreciate that this doesn’t really mean anything, CRKT lists him as a designer and has outsourced to Maniago (Onion’s Jinx). That facility has worked with M390 for Lionsteel.

They’re one of the only companies I could see promoting his name over theirs, similarly to how they pumped the Jinx.

Edited to add: the thumb stud pattern is reminiscent of the lockbar stabilizer styling on the Lionsteel SR22.

Again, just fun speculation.

For the sake of fun, as I appreciate that this doesn’t really mean anything, CRKT lists him as a designer and has outsourced to Maniago (Onion’s Jinx). That facility has worked with M390 for Lionsteel.

They’re one of the only companies I could see promoting his name over theirs, similarly to how they pumped the Jinx.

Edited to add: the thumb stud pattern is reminiscent of the lockbar stabilizer styling on the Lionsteel SR22.

Again, just fun speculation.

But if it was being produced by any of the Maniago companies, they’d be working direct with Doug Ritter Knives, no way CRKT would somehow be an unmentioned middle man who doesn’t actually do anything. It would be a similar arrangement for how Viper does for Giant Mouse or Maserin for Real Steel.

And yes, it could easily be a Maniago company, which would be pretty interesting to me.

After the Massdrop-TJ Schwarz Perpetua pricing, I think Millit will be the manufacturer.

I don't see how someone can drop the coin on a pre-order, when they don't even know what it is yet! :confused:

It's an interesting social experiment... see how many sales they can generate on the DR name alone, and offer easy cancellations after they learn what it is...

I personally don't like it, but then again, I don't see what makes Doug Ritter so much better than other designers to go along with a wonky pre-order like this. Perhaps some people do think he's that good? If so, please share why you think so?

I didn't know there were collectors of these. Just thought they were good work knives. Guess they got quite the following from the sounds of it.

And yes, it could easily be a Maniago company, which would be pretty interesting to me.

If he works with LionSteel, he could use their Tactical Operation Lock which is very similar to the Axis lock lending the new knife a similar feel to its predecessor.

They said in July 16th that they should have supply between 30 and 60 days.

But delays can always happen. I'd guess next month.

But a supply of what? No one has any pics of these?

No pics. Read it. They said no pics until they are all ready to be on sale. You'll just have to wait.

Well, I personally won't have to wait, because I'm not interested in something selling mainly on name factor alone. (shrug)

I actually have one of the last orange Ritters in M390, and it's an ok knife. No real need to buy another.

There are so many "ultimate survival tools" on the market, unless this thing's a lightsaber, I'm not really sure what it'll bring to the table that's different other than the magic name on the blade.

It's just interesting to me that people will scramble to buy something completely unseen except for a little peep shot, that showed that this new knife is going to be essentially the same as the last one. Stonewashed blade and thumbstuds? Check. Another stonewash full-flat grind 3 inch-3.5 inch blade and a handle made of either plas...sorry, FRN or maybe micarta or something. Check. Most likely going to be a drop-point. I'm guessing it'll be a framelock this time, as it's not a Benchmade so the AXIS is out unless Ritter made a deal.

I guess we'll see what we'll see, but I'm pretty sure I've got this thing pegged.

Edit: I'm not actively trying to disparage this upcoming knife, by the way. I just don't see why there's so much secrecy surrounding something that's going to be very similar to the last product and almost certainly isn't going to push any new boundaries. And hey, if it drops and it's super amazing, I'll be glad to come back and say I was wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mo2
I read all the preorder qualification bs and said I'll just keep my money, thank you. I've got a couple of Ritter Grips and have been a long time customer of Knifeworks. Apparently that loyalty was one sided.

Reactions: Mo2
I'm guessing it'll be a framelock this time, as it's not a Benchmade so the AXIS is out unless Ritter made a deal.
By the way, the "AXIS" is in (as long as you don't call it "AXIS"). That patent has expired and is fair game for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back