• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Buy a STRIDER knife...NOT ME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Virtually every professional knifemaker I know did something else first. Most of the best knifemakers I know were very good at something else before becoming a fulltime knifemaker, and most all took a pretty good cut in pay to get this job. The hours are long, the work dirty and sometimes frustrating, and rewards are mostly in the form of personal satisfaction and the great camaraderie that exists among most knifemakers. As far as I know there is only one perk (that "perquisite" for the anal retentives among the readership here). It is simply that you can, when the mood strikes you, say what the hell you want to whomever you want. If you lose a sale, then your income just went from modest to just slightly more modest, but that's not why you have this job in the first place. You have this job because you got completely fed up with the job you used to have where someone demanded you live by industry's most illusory rule, "the customer is always right", even when he's an assh0le.

For those who think industry runs by that standard, you must not do business with the same phone companies, automobile companies, airlines, utility companies, etc. that I've had the displeasure of doing business with. You must always have had your food served the way you want it, your car serviced so it never breaks down from the same malfunction a second time, your mailorder merchandise delivered exactly on time, and your plumber always shows up when he said he was going to. There are lots of ways to tell someone to "F#$K OFF". Mick just did it in a way that allows you to understand where he's coming from without having to wait for your car to break down again or the airline to tell you your flight is delayed for forth time in 3 hours before they finally tell you it's cancelled. There are millions of businesses who tell you to "F#$K OFF" everyday, they just spell it differently.

Now, for the sales and marketing "experts" here, let me describe some of the credentials I have that allow me to assert these opinions. I spent 30 years in Sales and Marketing, some as division VP of a couple Fortune 500 companies. I've told hundreds of people to "F#$K OFF" in a thousand different ways and in more than a dozen languages. Today, I make knives for a living and have learned to be happy with somewhat less than the breathtaking 6-digit income I used to enjoy, just so I don't have to always come up with those really creative ways to tell people to "F#$K OFF". I can just say "F#$K OFF", when I'm confronted by someone with whom I'd rather not associate. Life is simpler in many ways, and vastly more satisfying.

If there is anyone in these forums who believes that people make knives for the income opportunity it provides, I'd invite you to draft a business plan that shows the dimensions of this opportunity given the premise that the ownership of the business must grind steel for maybe $20 an hour, while maintaining almost zero overhead and minimal markup on raw materials. Be sure to use zero base budgeting as well, because business cycles are unpredictable and half your expenses are offset by your wife's income. In the Business Environment section of that plan BTW, be sure to mention that the competition is comprised of the best friends you've ever had in this life, because that's another of those intangible perks we enjoy. When you get to the Return on Investment calculation, you'll probably find it is either zero or infinity, depending on how you value life - as a commodity or as a spiritual experience.

Those on this thread who have written off ever buying knives from Strider, kindly add me to your list and "F#$K OFF".

In a thread seeping with bullshit filled posts, there have been a few worth taking the time to read. This one is at the top of the list. Bravo! Mr. Hossom :cool:

The customer isn't always right, but he is always the customer. It is basic monitary democracy. The customer has the right to buy from whomever he wants to. The seller has the right to conduct his business with only those he wants to. Don't like Mick's attitude,don't buy from the guy. Personally, I think he has reached a place in the knife community where he doesn't need defending from anyone. Based on everything that has been written since, sounds like he made the right call.
1whobuys,if you are such a tough, no nonsense, never back down kind of guy, why is it you have edited every single post you have written in this thread? Maybe because you know that total jerk offs tend to get banned around here.
David

In all honesty that last email was the reply you needed..... :eek:

Good choice of words Mick, short * sweet * to the point......... ;)

Alright, enough of this pussyfootin' around, I've got the real solution to this thread!!! Everybody drop your trousers, I've got the measuring stick! But I swear, if I get one single 'salute', out come the pinking shears! :D

I will never be convinced that being rude or abrasive is the proper course of behavior in this type of setting. It might make you feel good for a bit, but acting like a jerk, even when provoked, usually only comes back to hurt you.

If you constantly berate or belittle people (or provide bad customer service) you will have few friends when the going gets tough. Times have been pretty good for the knife industry lately and IF/WHEN there is a downturn in the economy I think some makers/ companies will be humbled. This has nothing to do with your phone companies or the airlines as knives are discretionary purchases and in most cases they are "wants" not "needs". I have to put up with the phone company as I have limited options, but with knives I have a wide variety of options.

I once inquired about purchasing a custom knife from a prominent purveyor and received a suprisingly rude reply to a courteous question, and that seller will probably not get my business in the future. Davidb415 is correct, customers will decide who survives long term in this business.

This is not directed at Strider (who make very nice, albeit expensive knives) but to this industry as a whole. Too many people in this business act like customers are nuisances (and some probably are) but that is a short sighted and poor practice. You can act in anyway you desire, just pray that business stays good and the economy stays strong.

Dan, I think you missed my point. Never did I say that poor customer service should be acceptable. I personally make it a point to strive hard in that area, but there is a level of tolerance that should not be required of anyone. For some in the instant gratification oriented, ME generation, that level is achieved all too quickly and is unnecessary for anyone to have to tolerate. The knife business, as a business, has always been very competitive. That some makers sell out quickly at shows doesn't contradict that fact. There are just as many, even more who sell little or nothing.

Most of us are one man shops, doing everything from sweeping floors to paying bills to making knives in the time available. We are also subject to the same stresses as everyone else in our daily lives, compounded by the publish or perish demand to produce ever better products. There is a segment of the knife-buying community who view us a little more than common laborers, who should be happy to get what business we can at any cost. Personally, I don't like those people, whether I meet them at shows, on the phone, here, or in the supermarket. If I tolerate their bahavior, I'm encouraging it and teaching my children that such is acceptable. I won't do that, and that's the standard I live by.

I think you'll find that most knifemakers do as well. Despite that, you'll find few folks who leave a knife show thinking the people in it were anything less than gracious, caring, helpful individuals who bend over backwards to be nice. That's particularly true of Mick Strider. He has lots of friends; you've met a few on this thread. He didn't make those friends by simply being a knifemaker, or providing bad customer service...

I think it is easy to jump on the bandwagon when defending a big name in the industry. We should all keep in mind that principle is rarely a factor when turning down a potential customer you feel has been rude, at least when you are as successful as you want to be. Strider has gotten to a point in his trade where he doesn't need tolerance. But you can be sure that tolerance will always be there when trying to sell your first hundred knives, before you made a name for yourself. Kinda ironic considering his knives are known for their outstanding temper.

After this thread it has become quite apparent there should be a forum dedicated exclusively to "Asskissing the Knifemakers." :rolleyes:

You got it Jeremy, you 100 pound scrawny little twerp, I'll say it to your face, as I doubt you can read the big words ;)

Anyways, I agree 100% that its better to say what you feel instead of sugar coating it, Ive had my share of crap here from doing that very thing. I also agree that its Micks company, and he can run it how he sees fit. Maybe the incident never should have been brought up in public, but it was and I figure if opinions on one side are ok, then opinions on the other are alright as well. You know what they say about opinions, everybody has one.

I also stated, and want to clarify that there is a difference between a customer who complains and one who is abusive. The customer is NOT always right. However good business would seem to be that most cusomers are ok, even the ones that complain a bit can usually be handled by explaining that "hey, I was busy". Now, had the guy emailed Mick and said something like "man, you suck and your reply sucked" or something, I could see telling him right where he could stick his attitude.

Maybe the one thing that struck me as odd is the fact that here in GBU we see posts where people get ripped off from people who dont pay for knives, or send knives that are not in the condition stated or whatever. Even in those cases you have people defending the crook saying "well gee, maybe hes out of town or really forgot that he owed you 300 dollars" or whatever when its painfully obvious a rip-off has occured. But this new guy screws up a little some people are ready to see his head on a plate.

(Note: The first line is a joke, so dont get to worked up...Jeremy is a friend of mine )

Jerry, I have no doubt that Mr. Strider is a good fellow who makes a fine product (as demonstrated by the number of positive threads he elicits) and agree that most people in the knife business are decent, hardworking folks who would go out of their way to be helpful. I know that you personally prioritize customer service, but I will gently disagree with you "that I missed your point."

To be blunt, there is a segment of this industry that does not care how they are perceived and they treat people accordingly. My point is that they may very well suffer for it in the future. If I were a knife maker, I too would resent being treated like a common laborer. BUT if you don't want to be treated like one, don't act like one! (this is not directed at you Jerry, you DON'T act that way, but there are some around here that do). No one has to put up with being abused but there are better ways to handle it. Sometimes no reply at all is better than a harsh one.

Again, people can conduct themselves in any way they want, they just do so at their own peril.

I've collected knives for over thirty years, been an ABS member and made knives and sheaths for almost thirteen years, was in the sales and service field for over 25 years, until I changed jobs 4 months ago, to give you some of my background....... I collect butterfly knives so until Mick or Jerry start making them, I'm not going to buy from either one of them! :p;)

My point is, with my 'half-vast' experience, there is such a thing as pride meaning that there is a point where I find attitudes or actions unacceptable. I've also found that it's the person/customer that is pleasant and easy going that makes sales/work enjoyable. On the other hand, the guy that's in a hurry, wants to shop you around, argue about the price, is a smarta$$, etc...even if they do buy my product, will almost always be unhappy no matter how good things are!

At first I thought I needed the sale and maybe should keep my mouth shut but that didn't usually last very long. Call me a dumba$$ or what ever you like but not only did it make me feel good to tell the 'customer' what I thought about there behavior/attitude, it was a real good way to get rid of unwanted stress.

I'm sure both Jerry and Mick were at the top in their respective fields and do the knife thing for the enjoyment and not the $$$$'s(see above). This is America and what makes it great, IMHO, is that you can almost do what you damn well please, if it makes you feel good and isn't illegal, and if you ruffle a few feathers in the process, so be it. I'm an adult, I screw up, I pay the price. I tell a 'customer' to take a hike and don't eat today, that's how it goes. Have I done it before? Many times! Did I go hungry? Sometimes. Would I do it again? HELL YES!!!:D

Some feel it's not right, some think it's great; it's the way things are. I not playing favorites but if that's how those guys feel and want to take care of business, so be it. If I have to pass on a buck or two to keep a smile on my face and live a year or two longer in the process, you'll find me in the poor house............;)

There it is; 'nuff said by me,

Dudley

You know, if the people at Strider Knives were truly the a******* that some of you are making them out to be, then Buck Knives, Inc. would have had nothing to do with them whatsoever. Well, it's been over a year and a half, four folders out and i've heard something about some new fixed blades...

I wouldn't buy one either. Not from a Jack-Ass like Mick. The <I>buyer</i> was a bit obnoxious, but not to the point of disserving this loose cannon going off on him. I am sure glad he is no longer part of the armed services. Wonder if he received a dishonorable discharge?!?

(Background music please?)

"Like sand through the sandblaster, these are the days of our knives."

Thatsa the opening for the new Bladeforums Soap Opera! :D

Ketsugo,

That post was entirely uncalled for. What you insinuate in your closing statement is disgusting and diminishes any point you may have hoped to make.

Think TWICE before you post in the future.

Originally posted by Rob Simonich
(Background music please?)

"Like sand through the sandblaster, these are the days of our knives."

Thatsa the opening for the new Bladeforums Soap Opera! :D

ROTFLMFAO :D:D:D

Brian T,
I really don't need you to tell me what to do in the future. I didn't insinuate anything. I just made a sarcastic comment.

John

Ketsugo, that really was classless. You certainly don't have to like the way Mick reacted to SKTR. The rest of what you posted leads me to believe that you don't think before you go off half cocked. I have absolutely no respect for that kind of comment.

By the way that is not sarcasm it is disrespect.

Edited for spelling and the fact that I referred to SKTR as 1whobuys. I wish to apologize to 1whobuys for this error.

If you are accusing me of doing the same thing Mick did, then you are correct. I got the reaction I was looking for. It was pure sarcasm, but I don't believe Mick's e-mail was at all. He meant it and I didn't. Sorry if you weren't able to read between the lines.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back