Lion Steel Rotoblock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'd say you have done a great job from what I have seen. I bet it was cool to get the factory tour also. :thumbup:

Thank for your input here and explanation of how the Roto-Block actually works. I think that is what most of us were curious about anyway.

I could care less about anything but thumb opening & the 'pot lifter feature' personally, but I am/was curious about the Roto-Block.

Thanks............ :thumbup:

Glad i was able to help, bro.

So the inertia from opening causes the robo lock to engage?

I'm just gonna wait till I have mine in hand and see. :)
I at least know how it works now & the theory behind it...... :D ..... :thumbup:

Last edited:

Yes, that would be my guess. But to be perfectly honest, rotoblock is a great addition and adds strength and all, but most of the time i dont lock it, because the frame lock it self is so well made and so strong. Of all the things on HEST folder that impressed me, and there were quite a few, frame lock impressed me the most. Its really rock solid. There are the usual positive things like blade centered perfectly when closed, no blade play what so ever, great fit and finish and things like that, but frame lock to me is just amazing. Lion Steel really made it top notch quality, easily comparable to much more expensive knives.

If its a secondary lock is kind of akin to the auto-lawks feature by CRKT? This is a broad comparison, I know they don't carry thick frame locked knives or with ah hinderer lock stabilizer. But if you start picking out the parts, you can pick out the various details. Pics or it didn't happen right?

The secondary lock akin to the crkt's expansion on the auto/manual secondary lock of michael walker:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rumTvo5ieis&playnext=1&list=PLE424BA9F9177BE74&index=59

The thick Reeve integralframelock+hinderer thick TI and hinderer like addition from the rotoblock as a lock stabilizer akin to the xm-18 -
http://media.photobucket.com/image/hinderer XM-18/rdt789/HindererXM-18clipside.jpg

SS insert on the top of the framelock like on lionsteel products [but they are making it :p and used on the the spyderco titanium military:
5128237141_1f055a33b5_b.jpg

Lion-Steel-SR1-Knife-back.jpg

As quick as an emerson wave and other similar RDS that was shown by a poster here with a plethora of images: This one however shows an emerson wave with a Ti framelock just decided to post a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK9Qk_t1xHQ

G10/Ti frame combo has been done in quite a bit in the past as you all know its not a certain typical "feature" but thing to look at anyway:
sc36tipg10-1.jpg

Viennacutlery%20Bild%203.4%20812.jpg

Why did I take my time to do that? I will get back to you because I got so caught up in finding the smaller details, that i wasn't focusing on the big picture, that irregardless of all the features that are borrowed, no matter if we had held it or not, all these similar amazing features are included in this knife. Yes I was confused and it doesn't sit well with me the first comments that were made. But in the end we are getting a knife that has borrowed various features from many great knives into one. Think of it like the morphed form of the power rangers. All these items said "ITS MORPHING TIME" and they got together to make the DPX folder and we get to have it.

Last edited:
Why did I take my time to do that? I will get back to you because I got so caught up in finding the smaller details, that i wasn't focusing on the big picture, that irregardless of all the features that are borrowed, no matter if we had held it or not, all these similar amazing features are included in this knife. Yes I was confused and it doesn't sit well with me the first comments that were made.
- I don't think anyone would disagree with the comment that the H.E.S.T. folder looks to be a fantastic knife. It looks very solid and has great features. People simply took issue with RYP's original statement. Personally, I can't wait for the H.E.S.T. folder to arrive. The deep carry clip looks like it will fit well in an office environment. Not to mention that both my Emersons are out for a framelock conversion... which the H.E.S.T. has out of the box.

Another feature is the Rapid Deployment System. When you pull the DPx HEST/F out of your pocket with a downward motion, it comes out open AND locked. No unassisted, manual knife on the planet does this.

Tomso,
Thanks for the info. When I first saw the pics of the Hest/F, I thought the stabilizer button looked like is was designed to turn. Know I know why. Eagerly awaiting to try mine in a week or two.

If you look at the pics that RYP posted of the first run a few days ago, you can see the Ti side slab showing the hole for the lock button and see the arc shaped cutout showing the range of turn needed to work the lock. I would have posted the pic here but I'm new to forums.

- I don't think anyone would disagree with the comment that the H.E.S.T. folder looks to be a fantastic knife. It looks very solid and has great features. People simply took issue with RYP's original statement. Personally, I can't wait for the H.E.S.T. folder to arrive. The deep carry clip looks like it will fit well in an office environment. Not to mention that both my Emersons are out for a framelock conversion... which the H.E.S.T. has out of the box.

Yea as much as it sounded as confusing to me with the first comments [a lot I assume with the wording and how we associated it with such things] - like the others - sometimes we just gotta chill. So I was hoping my comment would allow people to look at it in a different perspective ya know? Not focused just on the RDS but the knife as a whole, and that it carries a lot of features from other knives that in itself are great innovations. And that perhaps we should just forget about it [the argument] and look at it in a bigger picture. And its my nature to try and be comedic and simmer them [at least when my friends fight or argue] down, or try in some way to make it look silly.

I wished to get both LE and first production versions, but unfortunately [and fortunately enough to be a LE owner], I had to sell a lot of my knives in my collection for this [although I had to anyway to pay some erroneous bills, get christmas gifts and what not since I lost my job in october, just had to sell more than anticipated], and so I was only able to get enough money to purchase the LE version and not as well the first run production; which I wished I could get also. I love skull motifs, and wanted to collect the ss skull tool as well. Not to mention I wouldn't feel bad about actually using the knife for more hard work purposes. The Mr.DP that I ordered is too cool/badass looking for me to "ruin" it by shaving wood cutting lots of cardboard etc-etc. Sigh, I guess when I don't have to pay more bills and christmas presents [this was the only thing I really got myself this year, and had to liquidate to get it lol] I may find the ss skull tool on the secondary market, or the knife+ the skull if I have enough money. One can dream can't he? lol

Last edited:
My christmas gift some of you guys (who will remain nameless) you seem to be experienced a hormonal imbalance...
maxi_pads.jpg

...to the others who brought us back to sanity. My gift to you on this Christmas...
santa-says-hot-chick-santa-demotivational-poster-1261157619.jpg

the rotoblock on my sr-1 has never engaged on its own, under any circumstance.

it requires the operator to turn the little dial on the lock stabilizer.

Interesting that Lion Steel contacted Hinderer about rotoblock.

From what I understand about the term "prior art" with regards to patents, this would qualify and preclude anyone's claim of originality concerning the concept of hooking a part of the blade on the pocket.
It is the blade design that came about after the Civil War when many one armed vets needed a pocket knife that they could open one handed.

1_2226e0d734963fadf8b2b2724d6c3ede.jpg

Funny how all this works . . .

From what I understand about the term "prior art" with regards to patents, this would qualify and preclude anyone's claim of originality concerning the concept of hooking a part of the blade on the pocket.
It is the blade design that came about after the Civil War when many one armed vets needed a pocket knife that they could open one handed.

1_2226e0d734963fadf8b2b2724d6c3ede.jpg

Will there be an option to disengage the rotoblock from automatically engaging? I like the Idea of having it as a feature for when you really do need the extra security but for most of my uses, it's coming out of the pocket, cutting something then going right back in. Having to unlock the rotoblock would seem to be a hassle every single time.

Will there be an option to disengage the rotoblock from automatically engaging? I like the Idea of having it as a feature for when you really do need the extra security but for most of my uses, it's coming out of the pocket, cutting something then going right back in. Having to unlock the rotoblock would seem to be a hassle every single time.

Rotoblock, designed by Lion Steel, works by turning it clockwise to lock the framelock...but it doesn't automatically engage. Its not like autolawk that engages every time you open the knife. You can sometimes turn it into lock position by accident, if you happened to have your finger positioned on it or like RYP mentioned by waving the knife open. Personally i dont often wave knives, because its hard on the pocket, but its cool that you can. Anyway, Its sort of like a volume nob on radio...you turn it one way to make volume go up(locking the framelock in our case) and other way to turn it down...i know, its like the best explanation ever:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back